What is the last music you bought?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Forgive me if there is already such a thread somewhere.

Yesterday, for the 1st time in a long time (January actually) I walked into a shop (HMV OXford St.) and bought some new music to listen to.

After several hours spent in the jazz section, I picked up the Portico Quartet album ("Knee deep in the North Sea") which we saw live at the iTunes Live sessions at Koko last July, opening for Neil Cowley Trio (another good name in british jazz).

portico-quartet-gal.jpg

Then my attention got grabbed by this Pink Floyd number with its updated art cover, a classic, but my fist PF album. £7 for the hybrid SACD so it was kind of irresistible really... Currently being played as well..
emotion-1.gif

pink_floyd_darkside_30th_ann.jpg

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
momo72: opening for Neil Cowley Trio (another good name in british jazz).

I bought their last album, Loud, Louder, Stop, does exactly what it says on the tin! It's alright but I found after a few listens that it didn't really have anything else to offer.

Last music I bought was Eli "Paperboy" Reed's album, which I bought twice, got it on vinyl from the Bristol show but the quality's really poor, it's such a bad pressing, so I got it on CD this weekend (Solo Music, Barnstaple, wasn't expecting them to have it, ten quid) and ripped it to my PC so I can listen to it through the Sonos.

matthewpiano

Michael Weston King's 'Crawling Through The USA' and 'A New Kind of Loneliness' CDs from the America gig he was supporting on Monday night. Excellent CDs full of great songwriting.

Before that it was 'Damnation' by Opeth, downloaded from iTunes (iTunes+ file), and an album by The Pineapple Thief, also downloaded as an iTunes+ file.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc: I bought their last album, Loud, Louder, Stop, does exactly what it says on the tin! It's alright but I found after a few listens that it didn't really have anything else to offer.

In fairness, I don't own either of their albums (£15 from HMV!..), but live they really rocked the house (on that particular night anyway). So much so that I quite fancy going down to Scott's to see them perform live again next month.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
momo72:the_lhc: I bought their last album, Loud, Louder, Stop, does exactly what it says on the tin! It's alright but I found after a few listens that it didn't really have anything else to offer.

In fairness, I don't own either of their albums (£15 from HMV!..), but live they really rocked the house (on that particular night anyway). So much so that I quite fancy going down to Scott's to see them perform live again next month.

Oh I can imagine they're absolutely great live, I only bought the album after I saw them on Jools Holland, it sort of puts me in the frame of mind of piano-thrash, if that makes sense!

idc

Still, very slowly getting stuff on CD that I have previously owned on vinyl and cassette, it is a case of spotting them cheap so the King Crimson was £5 and the Black Sabbath £3.

31JBPFG6PEL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
31xqM%2BFo53L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

P.S - momo72, that Portico Quartet album is brilliant. I would recommend you try the Penguin Cafe Orchestra.

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
New albums by U2 , Morrissey , St. Deluxe normally buy bands I like new releases right away and often just browse about and order something cos it takes my fancy , Good reviews, nice cover etc.

Only old one was John Martyn Solid Air couldn't find it on vinyl in the attic when he passed away - so ordered it on CD took ages to come a lot of people must have ordered it.

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:Michael Weston King's 'Crawling Through The USA' and 'A New Kind of Loneliness' CDs from the America gig he was supporting on Monday night. Excellent CDs full of great songwriting.

Before that it was 'Damnation' by Opeth, downloaded from iTunes (iTunes+ file), and an album by The Pineapple Thief, also downloaded as an iTunes+ file.

Great artist, discovered him a few years ago as support to Chris
Hillman, who used to be in the Byrds and The Flying Burrito brothers.
MWK is a hidden gem, recommend this album

The Tender Place: a Collection 1999 - 2005

matthewpiano

gwynne61:
matthewpiano:Michael Weston King's 'Crawling Through The USA' and 'A New Kind of Loneliness' CDs from the America gig he was supporting on Monday night. Excellent CDs full of great songwriting.

Great artist, discovered him a few years ago as support to Chris
Hillman, who used to be in the Byrds and The Flying Burrito brothers.
MWK is a hidden gem, recommend this album

The Tender Place: a Collection 1999 - 2005

Cheers Gwynne. I'll pick a copy of that up.

Another big fan of The Byrds and Flying Burrito Brothers here. So many wonderful musicians involved with those two bands.

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
The new complete Bach 48 Preludes & Fugues with Angela Hewitt on Hyperion

Shostakovich 11 - RLPO/Petrenko on Naxos

Remain in Light (remaster) by Talking Heads

matthewpiano

survivor:
allman.jpg
beauty.jpg

Allman Brothers - Live at the Fillmore (dble cd limited edition)

Grateful Dead - American Beauty (cd)

'American Beauty' is a brilliant album. Not listened to it for a while - must dig it out. I love 'Workingman's Dead' as well. Never really got into their other stuff but maybe I should give it a try again.

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Minus the Bear - Menos El Oso

Minutemen - What Makes a Man Start Fires?

Lamb of God - Sacrament

Carboniferous by Zu should arrive tomorrow.

Mastodon's new one, Crack the Skye, is on pre-order for release next week.

A

Anonymous

VoodooDoctor:The latest Sigur Ros album
Fleet Foxes
Ladyhawke

All good.

I was impressed by Fleet Foxes which was bought on a whim.
If you like them check out Vampire Weekend and Belle and Sebastian

A

Anonymous

Big Chris:I bought this a week ago....

155202.jpg

....But I'm still waiting for it to turn up from the good ol' U.S of A.

Interesting cover art!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Drummerdave:Mastodon's new one, Crack the Skye, is on pre-order for release next week.

I received my "Your order has been posted" email from Play today. Can't wait!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
ashworth_rich:Big Chris:I bought this a week ago....

155202.jpg

....But I'm still waiting for it to turn up from the good ol' U.S of A.

Interesting cover art!

It was here waiting for me when I got home from work. Technical overplaying at its best.

:)

A

Anonymous

Loudon Wainwright III - 'Album II' and 'Last Man On Earth'

before that gayle got me 'Career Moves' and 'So Damn Happy' My new favourite artist :)

idc

Big Chris:ashworth_rich:Big Chris:I bought this a week ago....
155202.jpg
....But I'm still waiting for it to turn up from the good ol' U.S of A. Interesting cover art! It was here waiting for me when I got home from work.

I have a mental picture of the CD on your doorstep surrounded by the dismembered remains of the postie, waiting for you to get home.........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts