What Hi-Fi Team - Help with budget system......please?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi all

OK I am a bit baffled by all this as I want a decent separates system for a bedroom which is small (10 feet x 10 feet) and which is my escape 'den' in the house
emotion-1.gif
. I mainly listen to rock music and do like a 'weighty' sound but obviously not so much so that it sounds boomy in such a small room.

I want to spend about 650 pounds on a system which will satisfy the kind of music I like but am stuck where to start to be honest and just confused by so many possible combinations. So far, having done some research I have looked at the following components (accepting that not all possible combinations would be within budget..)

CD
Marantz CD6002 Marantz CD5001 Cambridge Audio Azur 340c Cambridge Audio Azur 540c v2

Amplifiers
Marantz PM4001 Rotel RA05 Nad C352

Speakers
B&W 685 Cambridge Audio S30 Monitor Audio Bronze BR2

Can anyone make any really practical suggestions as to either combinations of the above or alternatives that I can get out there and listen to as, at the end of the day, my decision will be made on how they sound.

Would really appreciate some help so thanks in advance.

Paul

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Andrew I will have a look at that combo and listen to it. As an alternative which is well within budget how does this sound:-

Marantz CD5001

Cambridge Audio 340A SE

Monitor Audio Bronze BR2

It's the speaker/amp choice which I'm struggling with as am pretty happy with the Marantz CD player which, for the price, is excellent. How does the above sound for rock music and any alternative combos you may suggest?

Thanks again.

Paul

A

Anonymous

Id try and strech your budget a little further in the amp department, the 340a doesnt impress me at all.

[quote user="Paulq"]

Thanks Andrew I will have a look at that combo and listen to it. As an alternative which is well within budget how does this sound:-

Marantz CD5001

Cambridge Audio 340A SE

Monitor Audio Bronze BR2

It's the speaker/amp choice which I'm struggling with as am pretty happy with the Marantz CD player which, for the price, is excellent. How does the above sound for rock music and any alternative combos you may suggest?

Thanks again.

Paul

[/quote]

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Thats the main concern I have as I want/need an amp that will drive the speakers properly but also so that I have the weight of sound that I would like. I looked at the Rotel RA04/05 setup but that would put me at the absolute limit of my budget.

Paul

matthewpiano

I've just got myself back into the seperates game by utilising my existing Bronze 2s and pairing them with a Marantz CD5001 and a secondhand Arcam Alpha 7 amp. The Alpha is much better than Cambrdge Audio 340/540/640 (IMO from experience of trying the Cambridge amps at home) and drives the Bronze 2s with ease, getting the absolute best out of them. The amp cost me £75 on a well known auction site and this makes for a very well matched and musical system which works with a whole range of music. I think you'd have to spend a lot of money to improve on the Alpha as an all-rounder, and the CD5001 is a much better source than its low price suggests. Hope this helps.

matthewpiano

Oh, and that will leave some budget left for some decent speaker stands which will bring massive dividends with the MAs. I use Atacamas and they really provide solid support for these superb speakers.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
It helps a lot thanks very much.

I guess what I was really after from my OP was a view from Andrew/Clare as to, in a room the size i have, which kit they would use as the ideal budget system which may not include the list I quickly put together as options as my knowledge is very limited. I am new to this so working blind a little bit but, following comments on here I am tempted to go for the following set up:

Marantz CD5001

NAD C320BEE/C352 Amplifier (would the C320 do the job instead f the C352?)

B&W 685 Speakers

That (using the C320BEE amp) would just squeeze into my budget.

Would appreciate any views/alternative suggestions but thanks for all help so far - this is a minefield as you just don't know what is quality and what not.

Thanks

Paul

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
hi mate im sure any of the above metioned set ups will be a great budget system try to audition them if you can you might be suprised........

And Andrew its nice to see you reccomend the NAD c352 and not the the usual Cambridge audio this forum is filled with........The c352 sound great and will drive any speakers with great sonics and cotroll

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
In my opinion i'd rather go for a 2nd hand Arcam 7, 8 or 9 amp off Ebay and leave the Nad. I have had the Nad before and thought it was very good until i went over to an Arcam Alpha 8 amp and that left the Nad high and dry.

Arcam Alpha amps seems to have so much more crispness and punch/clarity in the bass, especially if matched with good stand-mount speakers (for a small room). The Arcam would suit the B&W speakers so well and as someone said before, get some good decent Atacama speakers stands (id go for the Atacama SE20 or SE24 stands) and you've got a cracking systems there.

There are some very good bargins to be got on Ebay currently, my 2nd system has all been sourced from Ebay and if you do your research good enough and make sure that you are buying from a trusted seller, you cant go wrong.

As for a CD player, the Marantz that Andrew mentioned above would finish this system off nicely and would suit your taste of music down to a tee! I listen to Rock and Metal quite a lot, as well as all the other music i'm into, and i'm still to find a Amp and Speaker package to better Arcam and B&W.

Let us know how you get on.

A

Anonymous

Hope I'm not out of order here - Mods delete this if I am!

I happen to have a Arcam Alpha 7 I'm looking to sell. If you might be interested, lettuce know.

The Arcam does sound very nice - smooth and rich and easy. Bought it 2nd hand to see how it sounded, but I think my original CA 740A has more punch and detail. If you're interested and don't live too far away, you'd be welcome to come and listen and see what you think with no obligation.

Bloney

A

Anonymous

The b & w's are far too big for a room that size, as i suspect are the BR2's.Have you heard the 685's? they have a really big sound suitable for a fairly big sized room. they would not sound good in a small room like that i think. They are also in a different league to the BR2's, in my opinion.

have you considered the B&w 686's?' They are more than big enough for a room that size and sound stunning.

anyway, from your list it would be nad amp, Marantz cd but not sure about any of the speakers.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
That's really constructive advice and the honest answer is that no I hadn't but I have taken a look at them and certainly will give them a listen. I am pretty much settled on the Marantz CD and B&W's now but still pondering the amp - would the NAD C352 perhaps be a bit too much also and the C320BEE be a better option? Are there any Marantz amps in that ball park worth considering?

Thanks again.

Paul

A

Anonymous

i would definitely try out 686's.They sound very like the 685's but just not as heavyweight.They would be ideal for your room size.Buying them would save you over £100 which you could use to get a nad 352 which would drive them with ease i reckon.

matthewpiano

On the amp front, I was so impressed with the CD5001 that I decided to try a Marantz amp. I plumbed for the entry level PM4001 for now and it matches the CD player and my Bronze 2s so well that its becoming the permanent amp in my system. Lots of drive and energy and the MAs even balance is an excellent foil for the electronics. My next step may well be a PM7001 as I seem to be more convinced by the Marantz sound than anything else I've heard for a while.

With the B&Ws I'd go for NAD's warmer sound. If you go for a Marantz amp look at speakers like the BR2s or the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts