What Earns The Title "Audiophile"?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

shadders

But you’re referring to the extremist audiophiles, which you’ll get extremists in any hobby. There’s plenty of audiophiles out there that that are just plain old audiophiles - and they’re most likely at the budget/mid-priced end of the spectrum as well - but others see all audiophiles the same way.
Hi,
Not really referring to extremes of hifi.

From the reality of physics and engineering perspective, anything subjective about a passive component in hifi producing a difference in sound is farcical. Yet, many audiophiles believe this, so it is not extreme.

Magazine reviews and the adverts they carry compound this, and the forums just reinforce it more.

The higher end equipment is seen as something to aspire to, when in fact the budget and mid priced equipment is really as good as it gets.

Regards,
Shadders.

Reactions: daveh75
Hi,
Not really referring to extremes of hifi.

From the reality of physics and engineering perspective, anything subjective about a passive component in hifi producing a difference in sound is farcical. Yet, many audiophiles believe this, so it is not extreme.

Magazine reviews and the adverts they carry compound this, and the forums just reinforce it more.

The higher end equipment is seen as something to aspire to, when in fact the budget and mid priced equipment is really as good as it gets.

Regards,
Shadders.
Extremists, not extremes.

Passing off all subjectivist content regarding hi-fi as “farcical” is a bit extreme… :)

shadders

Extremists, not extremes.

Passing off all subjectivist content regarding hi-fi as “farcical” is a bit extreme… :)
Hi,
If people "believe" that a passive component can impart a sound signature, which is contrary to the laws of physics and engineering, which is subjectivism and prevalent throughout the hobby, is not extreme, but it is farcical.

That is why audiophiles are ridiculed.

Regards,
Shadders.

shadders

We're veering off topic into the same old issues - this is about what might define an audiophile, not about subjective experiences or capacity for self-delusion.
Hi,
What you have just stated is contradictory. We are talking about what earns the title audiophile, and critical to that is how audio (equipment) is interpreted.

You may not like the discussion, but it is very much on topic.

Regards,
Shadders.

Reactions: daveh75
Watches are an interesting point of comparison. Most expensive watches are mechanical, and are less good at the business of telling the time than their cheaper quartz relatives - the opposite of what should be the case with well-chosen hifi.

Basically, watches are jewellery.
This made me think of high-end turntables. These still fascinate me, though from afar, but they’re quite often arguably jewellery in Hifi terms, especially compared with digital sources. Digital sources keep more accurate time/speed!

Tinman1952

Hi,
If people "believe" that a passive component can impart a sound signature, which is contrary to the laws of physics and engineering, which is subjectivism and prevalent throughout the hobby, is not extreme, but it is farcical.

That is why audiophiles are ridiculed.

Regards,
Shadders.
Almost as ridiculed as those 'scientific engineers' who think everything can be reduced to measurements and there have been no improvements in audio since the 1960s.....🙄

shadders

Almost as ridiculed as those 'scientific engineers' who think everything can be reduced to measurements and there have been no improvements in audio since the 1960s.....🙄
Hi,
Some magazines provide measurements and others do not. The measurements can never tell you how something sounds, only whether the equipment has been well engineered.

A 1960's amplifier will measure woeful compared to todays equipment.

Audiophiles have different approaches on how they select equipment.

Regards,
Shadders.

manicm

I suspect many, maybe most, who spend that kind of money on hifi, are more interested in showing off to their rich mates, than concerned about what it sounds like.

Maybe, but a massive generalisation there, after all it's much easier to show off with a new Porsche. I can almost guarantee you that many of those rich mates may be nonplussed at the hi-fi.

Also, it's actually not that hard at all to blow 100k, for starters how much does a pair of KEF Blades cost?

Friesiansam

Maybe, but a massive generalisation there, after all it's much easier to show off with a new Porsche. I can almost guarantee you that many of those rich mates may be nonplussed at the hi-fi.
Show the hifi off to the right mates!

Also, it's actually not that hard at all to blow 100k, for starters how much does a pair of KEF Blades cost?
For those who can, you're right.

Kef Blade 1 Metas are about £30k, add a flash turntable, a phono stage, a 2 box amp and some of Russ Andrews finest snake oil (cables and power doobries) and you're there.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Gray

...20k worth of cables
I'd prefer to have something to show for my money.
Add a couple more grand and you can have a pair of these staring at you.
(As we've said, often the more you pay, the more hideous things look).

Reactions: WayneKerr

TRENDING THREADS