What does this mean..?

SteveR750

I'm reading a review on the Supernait:

" the SuperNait offers 80 watts per channel and 400VA output for transients thanks to the expected, over-engineered, dedicated power supplies that Naim always puts into its designs."

Do they really mean 400W transient?

"Note that this is not a switching power supply, but a 'proper', meat-eating, bourbon-drinking, toroidal transformer with seven discrete windings"

Oh Lordy, really?

"The digital board powers down when an analogue input is selected, to clean up the electrical environment and to eliminate any audiophile paranoia."

Poor saps.

" This wasn't just the usual Pace, Rhythm and Timing thing: certainly all the temporal clues were present and correct but the SuperNait and the Neats seemed able to dig deeper still into the music and get to those telling, often quite deeply submerged, nuances with immeasurable dexterity."

Yawn.... You'd think that a professional journo would have more than a handful of forum cliches at his disposal.

" In a recent conversation with one of the UK's most influential loudspeaker designers and semi-pro jazz players, I was told that few systems truly recreate bass with any real semblance of pitch. He had obviously not heard this system, which seemed uncannily able to convey low frequencies with vivid realism and conviction."

Maybe he just hadn't listened to the bass player, real guitarists never do....

I'm glad I don't subscribe to this particular magazine, I'd want my soul back.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
SteveR750:
I'm reading a review on the Supernait:

" the SuperNait offers 80 watts per channel and 400VA output for transients thanks to the expected, over-engineered, dedicated power supplies that Naim always puts into its designs."

Do they really mean 400W transient?

I think 400VA refers to the peak current output - which is just as important as the 'power' but rarely quoted. Still I have no idea whether 400VA is good or not - although I can vouch for the SuperNait's welly. They are definitely not saying 400W.

I agree about the hyperbole (not sure if I spelt that right) it can be a little much sometimes.

SteveR750

Dan, I always presumed that VA = watts (watts = curent x voltage , i.e. A x V)

Andrew, yes I know, but was very afraid of the answer. As a professional pedant perhaps it shold be re-titled "Most irritatingly unoriginal review". I'm sure you realise its not from WHF towers...
emotion-4.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts