MQA has gone into administration: what does this mean for Tidal and supported products?

hotelbar

Apr 15, 2023
Visit site
I am in the market to replace my Schiit DAC and as a long time Tidal subscriber I was naturally heading toward a device with MQA decoding. In my research I came across two videos on YouTube posted by GoldenSound titled "I published music on Tidal to test MQA" and "MQA Deep Dive Part 2.
It seems that MQA, in my opinion, is criminally negligent due to its claims of Lossless or Lossless equivalent streams. MQA is peddling snake oil and now Tidal is, belatedly in my opinion, reverting to true lossless.
I am also quite miffed that WHAT HI FI have omitted any reference in this article that MQA is, quite likely, misleading marketing BS.
My first choice DAC, the Hip-Dac2 by IFI is available on Amazon but interestingly listed as Sold Out on the IFI website. Could this be related?
Oh well, I will be shopping for a DAC that is not MQA enabled and I will wait to upgrade my Tidal until they are offering Lossless.
Watch the GoldenSound videos and form your own opinion!

tamefox

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I am in the market to replace my Schiit DAC and as a long time Tidal subscriber I was naturally heading toward a device with MQA decoding. In my research I came across two videos on YouTube posted by GoldenSound titled "I published music on Tidal to test MQA" and "MQA Deep Dive Part 2.
It seems that MQA, in my opinion, is criminally negligent due to its claims of Lossless or Lossless equivalent streams. MQA is peddling snake oil and now Tidal is, belatedly in my opinion, reverting to true lossless.
I am also quite miffed that WHAT HI FI have omitted any reference in this article that MQA is, quite likely, misleading marketing BS.
My first choice DAC, the Hip-Dac2 by IFI is available on Amazon but interestingly listed as Sold Out on the IFI website. Could this be related?
Oh well, I will be shopping for a DAC that is not MQA enabled and I will wait to upgrade my Tidal until they are offering Lossless.
Maybe you should also point people to the mqa replyP sounds test was deeply flawed... Go to the 2L Norway site and do some comparison listens on mqa equipment. If you can't hear the difference then dont waste your money on any kind of expensive DAC.

Last edited by a moderator:

martinhifi

Apr 16, 2023
Visit site
i did see both videos, they are convincing, beyond any doubt, the idea that u can “fold” music, or any type of data, without a loss is a lie, it’s a scam, i deleted my tidal acco7nt and moved to qobuz who REALLY provide high res tracks, Tidal simply didn’t. MQA is also immoral because they are because ing owners of those tracks, music should not be privatized. i like to think that this is why MQA is done, but it’s probably just bad management.

Not Sure

May 4, 2023
Visit site
Maybe you should also point people to the mqa replyP sounds test was deeply flawed... Go to the 2L Norway site and do some comparison listens on mqa equipment. If you can't hear the difference then dont waste your money on any kind of expensive DAC.
Is there no 'thumbs-down' button for comments like this???

Not Sure

May 4, 2023
Visit site
I note in the article that MQA was a choice for Tidal users, well I never saw that it was.
If so, I'm re-subscribing!
I cancelled a whole family subscription over MQA - and YES, I have a system I believe is capable of telling the difference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts