What do you think about the DAB switchover? Your views needed....

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
"Don Foster MP: i'm unremittingly excited & optimistic about digital radio; can't wait for a switchover"

"Meanwhile in the Commons, MPs debating killing off BBC local radio..."

Gawd spare us from these idiots*!

*I can't type what I am really thinking here.

[Edit... Don Foster MP, Vice-Chair, All-Party Parliamentary Commercial Radio Group. That explains his response at least. 'Bunce'.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It is....

BBC and commercial radio go to digital; FM for local/community services. That's been the argument for some time.

This conference is fascinating - lot of tensions!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
It is....

BBC and commercial radio go to digital; FM for local/community services. That's been the argument for some time.

At least Arqiva don't have any conflict of interest 'tensions'! They own and operate all the BBC transmitters (originally paid for by tax payers and license payers) that they inherited from Crown Castle and probably want to strip all the bandwidth so they can use it for it's other businesses (IT and cellular networks).

DAB needs 25 percent less transmitters! I thought it needed twice as many (and at higher power) even for 'adequate' coverage. (Or were the BBC research papers all wrong?)

Off for a rummage.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
...(originally paid for by tax payers and license payers) that they inherited from Crown Castle ...

With respect Chebby this statement is inaccurate, the terrestrial transmission infrastructure formally owned and operated by the BBC was privatised in 1997 and bought by the American company Crown Castle. They were subsequently bought by National Grid Plc. in 2004 (then changed to National Grid Wireless [NGW] in 2005), NGW were then bought by Arqiva for £2.5Billion in 2007.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
You are Andy Madden? Explains a lot...

So that's Chebby who's really Andy Madden, me that's really gel (or vice versa) – any other WHFSV staffers want to fess up?

Confused further by Andy Madden's preference for being known as 'Mandy' on Twitter.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
chebby said:
Confused further by Andy Madden's preference for being known as 'Mandy' on Twitter.

It's her out of office persona.

dame_trott_1_352_352x470.jpg

hawardn

Oct 19, 2007
Visit site
I see no value in it for me, only cost - to convert my car radio, to change my FM tuner - and, by all accounts there is at best no improvement in quality. So what's the point !

If there are benefits which I can't see then the government should start selling these !

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
It is....

I have come a bit late to this post but has it now been finalised and this is what is going to happen ?

I personally cannot see any benefits to switching to DAB. There is no leap forward as there was with digital TV, one can only presume it is driven by the government for financial reasons ie. they can sell more airwaves ching ching.

I am also struggling to see how this can be in line with 'green' targets. A huge amount of radios will land on the scrape heap for no good reason. Radio is different to TV and other technologies it has not progressed and is not about to with DAB. It is still quite feasible to have FM radio's from the 50's which still work just fine, I happen to have a lovely 1954 Bush VHF41 which still works perfectly well. Then there are some of the gorgeous receivers from Pioneer and Marantz to name a few all from the 70's all which will become junk (unless you want to listen to local radio......I would rather stick a fork in my eye), it is definitely an outrageous decision in my eyes.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
eggontoast said:
The_Lhc said:
What was that then?
So you don't think there is any improvement for Digital TV over Analogue then?

I think that was the question I was asking you, what do you consider to be an improvement brought about by digital TV? About the only one I can think of is more channels and that applies to digital radio just as well.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
If you do a side-by-side comparison with analogue and digital TV tuners in the same set, the digital picture is clearly better. That's not the case wtih radio - unless, of course, you're comparing AM/MW with DAB, in which case the latter (eg Radio 5) typically wins out.

And yes, we are going digital for radio. The analogue spectrums are full; we have to swtich. When/how we'll switch is now the big debate!

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
If you do a side-by-side comparison with analogue and digital TV tuners in the same set, the digital picture is clearly better.
Glad to see I was not the only one that noticed

Clare Newsome said:
When/how we'll switch is now the big debate!
What about the format are they going to continue pushing the already obsolete DAB format or are they going to start from the ground up and provide the best format they can with the currently available technology ?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
eggontoast said:
Clare Newsome said:
If you do a side-by-side comparison with analogue and digital TV tuners in the same set, the digital picture is clearly better.
Glad to see I was not the only one that noticed
The only thing I've noticed digital TV bring is consistancy, the picture should look the same wherever you live, whereas Analogue was very much dependant on the signal strength. Personally speaking I had an excellent analogue signal and the switch to digital didn't improve it noticably.

What it did bring was compression artifacts, which was nice...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts