analogue vs digital components, what upgrades do you consider the most worthy of your money?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
If the Klimax DS were in an all Linn system, it wouldn't be the digital source that was letting the side down. It'd be the amp and speakers.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
lindsayt said:
If the Klimax DS were in an all Linn system, it wouldn't be the digital source that was letting the side down. It'd be the amp and speakers.

I have always said that I didn't get on with the rest of Linn kit. Their Active stuff is much better, but so expensive, that for me, rules it out. I much prefer their older stuff, which I own.....Kairn / LK100 and Karik / Numerik.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The best digital sources I have ever heard are made by the German high-end firm MBL and Japan's Accuphase.

The MBL transport and DAC from its top range (there are three ranges I believe) are horrendously expensive but played through (ahem) about 200k worth of MBL speakers and amps sound absolutely magnificent. Mind you, all MBL's top gear are HUGE and very heavy, so they won't suit many ordinary rooms (and floors, I daresay). And the styling (mainly black with gold buttons, switches and knobs) also might not appeal .

Accuphase's kit looks much better, is more room-friendly but is also very expensive. Their SACD players and transports are second to none - certainly I could quite happily live for a long time with any of their digital sources. Until then, though, I'll have to be content with my (much cheaper) Cambridge Audio 851/Stream Magic setup...:roll:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts