What do YOU do with your CDs?

George680

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Myself I love my cd collection. At home I only play cds in my hifi! :bounce:

I'm very curious, what do YOU do with your cds?

Do you use them in your cd player? Or do you have them stored in your rack only?

And will you keep them? Or are you planning to sell?

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
They are in plastic storage boxes under the bed.....and some not so loved ones in the loft. Although this may change in the future as I have been using my UD5005 for listening to new ones I have been purchasing recently and it sounds pretty darn good.

Like Lee H I still keep mine and still play them in my CD player but last year decided on a different filing arrangement due to the space they were taking up. I bought a numer of files with plasic sleeves each of which holds 6 CD's. I have ditched the plasic boxes the CD's came in and just kept the inserts for track listings / pretty pictures etc, these are filed in the sleeves along with the CD's. Now have 4 large, easily transportable, files - and a lot more room ............. for my vinyl!

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I rip them to my NAS and then store them in boxes. I leave Collector's Editions out. I had them all archived on Gurulib but that site seems to have gone down so I will be changing to an offline program as at least that can't disappear. Very irritating.

A

Anonymous

After selling 1400 vinyl albums almost immediately after the kids arrived I will not make the same mistake with my somewhat smaller cd collection. For the curious minded they were offloaded along with my third incarnation hifi when my 2 year old son frightened himself rigid turning the volume up to maximum.

At present they are in display cabinets along with my dvd collection. Although the dvds are judiciously pruned the cds are kept intact as a collection.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
nolaj56 said:
After selling 1400 vinyl albums almost immediately after the kids arrived I will not make the same mistake with my somewhat smaller cd collection. For the curious minded they were offloaded along with my third incarnation hifi when my 2 year old son frightened himself rigid turning the volume up to maximum.

Can't argue with that logic! Wait, what?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Documentary/Drama/Comedy etc. CDs all ripped to iTunes and filed in 'Case Logic' zip-up folders then stored away.

Music CDs. A lot of these (or parts of them/tracks from them) ripped to another iTunes (in lossless) and the CDs stored, in their cases, in gloss black W.H. Smith CD storage boxes* in a cupboard under the stairs. (A couple of blue CD boxes kept in living room with about 40 - 50 of my wife's favourite CDs because she prefers to play them as CDs.)

*Normally not available except in post Christmas sale, when I buy up any stock they have.

Jumping Jack

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I rip them to my NAS, put them in "fleecepacks" (very very handy product, http://www.fleecepack.nl) and store them. I only use them to play in my car now...

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Although they were all ripped to my NAS they are still all filed away on my 'Billy' bookcases in the lounge.

I say 'were' because I damaged ALL my music files last week (I think I did something weird with 'Songbird'), and now I have to re rip all 22,000!

I think I will only rip my faves this time though.....

Good job I hadn't sold/given away the actual CD's.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Lee H said:
Keep them in the study. Selling them would mean I couldn't keep the rips.

To follow the letter of the law exactly, is that the case? Are you not legally allowed to keep copies of CDs that you have paid for and then sold?

Interesting.

I think I have about 5000+ CDs, and about 2000+ LPs. Currently all packed away, but once moved into new house will all be on shelves. I just love having them around to look at, particularly the vinyl.

Having said that, I am planning on ripping all the CDs to a NAS.

Yawn.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
omnibeard said:
Lee H said:

Are you not legally allowed to keep copies of CDs that you have paid for and then sold?

Nope, all you actually have is a licence to play the tracks. Once you move the CD on, you lose the licence.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
omnibeard said:
Lee H said:

To follow the letter of the law exactly, is that the case? Are you not legally allowed to keep copies of CDs that you have paid for and then sold?

No, you are not legally allowed to do that. Paying for the CD gives you a license to use the music for your own pleasure, if you no longer own the CD you no longer have that license, so you cannot keep any copy of the music contained on the CD.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
... and given the regularity of... "Help i've lost my music library" type posts* i've seen here, it would be insane to throw them all away/sell them all after ripping.

*Also their cousins, the... "I want to completely re-rip all my music to a different/better format" ...posts.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
... and given the regularity of... "Help i've lost my music library" type posts i've seen here, it would be insane to throw them all away/sell them all.

For sure. I wouldn't want to get rid of my CDs anyway due to my hoarding instincts. Just interested in how it works legally.

Would something like the itunes match service negate this? I haven't really looked into it, but won't they give you high quality mp3s of any mp3s on your hard drive, and store them in the cloud? Once that was done, would they be giving you a license to that music, or would you still need to own the CD?

Don't know why I'm asking really, as I'm not going to sell them. Although I have never gotten on with a Gorky's Zygotic Monkey CD I bought a long time ago, I might sell that. Obviously without ripping it!

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
... and given the regularity of... "Help i've lost my music library" type posts* i've seen here, it would be insane to throw them all away/sell them all after ripping.

TBH, this was my main reason for keeping them all. It's the best back-up you can get.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Lee H said:
chebby said:

TBH, this was my main reason for keeping them all. It's the best back-up you can get.

The joys of ripping and "clouds" - no thanks! My rapidly growing CD collection are all in bookshelves (had to sell the books - couldn't upload my books to a cloudy drive thing :) )close to the CD player and blu-ray player.

Stored in alphabetical order (unlike my vinyl which is randomly arranged - so that every choice is a spontaneous thing), except SACDs and DVD-Audio discs on their own shelf.

Compilations and magazine freebie CDs etc are also stored on different shelf.

New CDs kept in a separate pile for more frequent playing

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Lee H said:

The best backup is your regular system backup to an external HD. ('Best' as in easiest and quickest to restore from including all track listings, settings, artwork etc.)

The CDs themselves are a 'last ditch' backup in case all else fails. (Slow, lots of hard work.)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
omnibeard said:
Would something like the itunes match service negate this? I haven't really looked into it, but won't they give you high quality mp3s of any mp3s on your hard drive, and store them in the cloud? Once that was done, would they be giving you a license to that music, or would you still need to own the CD?

I don't use iTunes, so I'm basing this reply on zero knowledge but I would have thought that iTunes Match would only match tracks that you've actually bought through iTunes, rather than stuff you've ripped yourself.

I might be wrong but I'd be surprised if your suggestion was the case.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
omnibeard said:

I don't use iTunes, so I'm basing this reply on zero knowledge but I would have thought that iTunes Match would only match tracks that you've actually bought through iTunes, rather than stuff you've ripped yourself.

I might be wrong but I'd be surprised if your suggestion was the case.

http://www.apple.com/uk/itunes/itunes-match/

It stores music you've ripped yourself too.

Benzji

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Total Cd collection ripped to MP3 for my Classic Ipod. Mostly used on holiday.

Still playing CD's , as well as vinyl, in the livingroom.

I purchased an Accuphase CD-player only last year!

So , no NAS , no streaming.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts