What do YOU do with your CDs?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
BenLaw said:
steve_1979 said:
I've never actually listened to any of my CD's. I rip them straight away and always use the digital files for all of my listening.

The CD's themselves are lined up in alphabetical order on a shelf because it looks cool and I occasionally like to have a read of the cases.

Any of them?! :O

Did you not have any CDs prior to a HDD, streaming setup?

I can't even remember the last time I actually listened to a CD! I started using my computers HDD to store music about 8 years ago. Back then I wasn't into hifi and only owned about 20 CD's. These are the only ones that I own that I've listened too and that was about 8 years ago.

My keen interest/obsession with music only started about 3 years ago. During this time I've bought several hundred secondhand CD's from Amazon and I've never played any of them. I just rip them to the HDD and store them on the shelf (although I did give a few to the local PDSA charity shop).

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Xanderzdad said:
Although they were all ripped to my NAS they are still all filed away on my 'Billy' bookcases in the lounge.

I say 'were' because I damaged ALL my music files last week (I think I did something weird with 'Songbird'), and now I have to re rip all 22,000!

Oh no! That's awful. :cry:

Didn't you make a backup?

I had them all backed up but had been testing a new auto backup system for the last month. As the files were only altered and not deleted I didn't spot that they were ALL corrupt until after the errors were copied to my NAS. A very hard lesson.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Xanderzdad said:
steve_1979 said:
Xanderzdad said:
Although they were all ripped to my NAS they are still all filed away on my 'Billy' bookcases in the lounge.

I say 'were' because I damaged ALL my music files last week (I think I did something weird with 'Songbird'), and now I have to re rip all 22,000!

Oh no! That's awful. :cry:

Didn't you make a backup?

I had them all backed up but had been testing a new auto backup system for the last month. As the files were only altered and not deleted I didn't spot that they were ALL corrupt until after the errors were copied to my NAS. A very hard lesson.

Ouch! That's gotta hurt.

I've just made a fourth 'write only' backup version of all my music files just in case I some how manage to corrupt the other backups while editing or adding to them. This way even though any new albums that I buy will be missing at least I won't ever need to re-rip the whole lot again from scratch.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I first check how much cheaper - if any - buying CDs is over buying off iTunes. When it arrives, I rip into iTunes at 320kVBR then store the CD that rarely get spun in my CDP. At some future date, I may re-rip my entire collection to lossless. I have my iTunes libraries duplicated on a PC & laptop. 20GB got uploaded onto iTunes Match. Both computers, an iPhone & iPad are sync'd. Both portable devices cannot hold my entire collection so are just selectively sync'd.

I listen to music from my PC if on or Match if it ain't via an ATVII feeding my DAC. Match hasn't tried to overwrite songs coded greater than 256k on my laptop but I did have to delete duplicated playlists from my phone. AFAIK, Match doesn't make my uploads available to others but it wouldn't really bother me if they were. If I re-rip to Apple lossless, I wouldn't have to bother with down-conversions for any portable Apple devices.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
I only play cds on my hifi I find if they are used in my car / van they get damaged so I use my ipod in the car and burnt cds in my van at the moment there are about 3000 cd in the spare bedroom 1800 are my sons and theres about 200 cds in the dining room which are more recent cds today we ordered 2 cd units bookcase type which will hold 300 cds each for the dining room his and hers mine will be the one with all the good music in it hers wont :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I hope she dont see this:shhh: :shhh: :shhh:

SteveR750

They are the hard copy archive, so apart from any licensing issue that alone is enough to keep them. If all you use is a PC as a source, then take my advice; keep them, and at least one back up.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Rip (ALAC), store the CDs and inlays in several folder cases, throw the jewel cases away - this saves space and lets me play anything instantly using mac/itunes/remote.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
Rip (ALAC), store the CDs and inlays in several folder cases, throw the jewel cases away - this saves space and lets me play anything instantly using mac/itunes/remote.

You told us that (back in July) on the first page of this thread :)

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
AlmaataKZ said:

You told us that (back in July) on the first page of this thread :)

ooops! dont remember!
smiley-embarassed.gif

PEAYEL

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
Rip the lot to my NAS for the Sonos to eat !!!!.

Place on Billy (IKEA) units going around walls in office. The CDs get used in the car, despite having Ipod connections.

For the older stuff that I no longer like- it goes to the charity shop-I'm not sentimental and if I wanto listen to a single track I'll buy that and download it.

This way the 10 shelf units are not full, I'll never reach the Sonos track limit, and I actually like the stuff on the system/shelves, with nothing too embarassing to see when people browse through it. Happy Days.

:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts