Jenjen

Mar 20, 2022
Visit site
Hello, I'm an amateur in listening music but anyway I love it. I'm collecting lp's for few years now and I decided finally to buy a turntable.

I'm a beginer, don't know much about systems, thats I would kindly ask for help.

At first I wanted vintage turntable, since I'm a lover of older nice stuff but some recomended me to start with a new turntable.
I decided for rega planar 1 / project debut carbon . The question is what to take along.
Active speakers or amplifier and speakers? I really like active speakers from triangle and it was said they are really good for turntables? other options I'm looking right now is denon dra-800h + Q acoustics 3020i , some say qacoustics are best in this price range, some say not really.

I have a room around 5x7 m and my budget is around 1500eur.

Thank you for your help!

Br, Katja

suburbansky

Mar 15, 2022
Visit site
I don't have any experience with active speakers myself, so I cannot comment on that aspect of the question. However, if I were in your position, I think I would seriously consider the Rega System One - it contains a Planar 1 turntable, an IO amp, and speakers. This seems very decent and - contrary to an active speaker setting - highly upgradable, since you can easily connect a streamer or a CD player to the amp as well. Actually, I'm absolutely sure that this would be my choice in your situation.

Welcome, Katja!

I‘m not sure what you mean by ‘take along’. Do you have two different systems and you’re choosing which to audition the new turntable with?

All I would say is it you can spend a bit more on your turntable the results will be significantly better. The Rega P1 isn’t designed to be adjusted or upgraded, unlike the Planar 2.

Gray

....some say qacoustics are best in this price range, some say not really.
Don't take too much notice of what other people think is 'best'. The sound of speakers varies massively - what's important is the type of sound that suits you.
You really just need to decide how involved you want to get and how much you think you might want to upgrade separate components in the future. The Denon 800H that you mentioned looks nice, Marantz is another option, perhaps with some little Dali speakers (but there are plenty of other speakers for you to consider).
If you just want something decent, with a bit of simplicity, then either of the Rega or Triangle systems suggested above would be worth checking out.

Whatever you buy, try not to put the turntable and speakers on the same surface.
You'll see that one picture shows the Rega speakers on their own stands, isolated from the turntable - that's a good idea.

Another thing to remember is that a turntable needs a phono pre-amplifier. (It will not work without one).
This could be built into the amplifier, as it is in the Rega Io (and in that Denon 800H).
It could be built into the turntable, as it is in the Rega P1 Plus model.
It's rare to find one built into active speakers though - so with most you would need to have it in the turntable, or would require a standalone preamp (in its own small enclosure) connected between the turntable and active speakers.

Last edited:

Jenjen

Mar 20, 2022
Visit site
Thank you for all opinions.

My final dylema now is triangle speakers + pro-ject turntable or rega system one :)

( I do not like that much of a look of rega speakers, but like better the whole system from one brand, on other hand I prefere triangle speakers because they look really nice, and heard project turntable are really one of the best. )

Gray

In terms of technical compatibility, don't be concerned about the components being from different brands - it won't be a problem.

Your choice depends on whether you can get to hear them.....or maybe you're happy to choose on looks.....because others can't tell you which system will sound best to you.

dkontos

Apr 24, 2021
Visit site

My final dylema now is triangle speakers + pro-ject turntable or rega system one :)

( I do not like that much of a look of rega speakers, but like better the whole system from one brand, on other hand I prefere triangle speakers because they look really nice, and heard project turntable are really one of the best. )
I have tried Triangle Comete bookself speakers, and they were very transparent, very alive and too forward....! Like being at the first row at a rock concert. If that is what you like, go.... In any case , try to demo some speakers before buying, as the speakers will have the most crucial impact at the sound of your speakers.

dkontos

Apr 24, 2021
Visit site
I have tried Triangle Comete bookself speakers, and they were very transparent, very alive and too forward....! Like being at the first row at a rock concert. If that is what you like, go.... In any case , try to demo some speakers before buying, as the speakers will have the most crucial impact at the sound of your speakers.
....sorry, ..... at the sound of your system....!!!

There have been a few reviews of the complete Rega system that I’ve seen, and they all seem less than impressed with the Rega speakers. They look neat enough, but the typical suggestion is to forget the ‘bundle’ and just buy the P1, the Io, and a pair of little Dali or whatever small speaker suits your budget and available space.

Have you actually heard any of the possibilities?

Jenjen

Mar 20, 2022
Visit site
I haven't heard any actually! Sellers out here, saying they do not have exibited pieces of speakers, especially for lower budget since there is lack of everyhing and they are more focused on selling. - This was an explanation. :unsure:

Gray

Truth is, you could buy either system and probably be very happy with the sound.

But it's only when you listen to a few different speakers, that you will realise how much the presentation varies.....and you want optimum sound from your (expensive) vinyl.

Otherwise, based purely on your desire for Triangle / Project and preference on looks, that system must be your logical choice.

Reactions: Jenjen

dkontos

Apr 24, 2021
Visit site
Since you are not so experianced , and if you would like to make it simple, I highly recomend you to have an active speaker ....In that way, you will not worry about amp-speaker combination, as the combo of an active speaker with the built-in amplifiers are ideal. I think that this is the path you should follow. But in any case, listen first a few speakers. The differences you are going to experiance are big ! The turntables you have mentioned are both very good at their money.

Reactions: Jenjen

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts