What CD player to match with audiolab 8000a (200ish budget)

nickos99

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
So I am currently running Mission 780 Argonauts, driven by audiolab 8000a, with marantz CD- 52, and arcam rlink. Speakerwire QED anniversary and CA connections.

I appreciate all my stuff is old, so before ripping my collection to FLAC and exploring lossless streaming I would like to upgrade the CD player and amp particularly.

What would be a good Amp to match my speakers, I have no qualms about buying second hand, budget of no more than 600 for amp and no more than 200 for the CD player

Bit of wiggle room for the right item tho...

Music is fairly diverse, velvet underground, Lou reed, Dylan to mumford and sons and Sneaker Pimps.

Any advice much appreciated.

nickos99

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
i don't really know, i just appreciate the audiolab can sound a little clinical at times and thought changing the CD player may be able to provide a contrast here

nickos99 said:
So I am currently running Mission 780 Argonauts, driven by audiolab 8000a, with marantz CD- 52, and arcam rlink. Speakerwire QED anniversary and CA connections.

I appreciate all my stuff is old, so before ripping my collection to FLAC and exploring lossless streaming I would like to upgrade the CD player and amp particularly.

What would be a good Amp to match my speakers, I have no qualms about buying second hand, budget of no more than 600 for amp and no more than 200 for the CD player

Bit of wiggle room for the right item tho...

Music is fairly diverse, velvet underground, Lou reed, Dylan to mumford and sons and Sneaker Pimps.

Any advice much appreciated.

This'll be more natural sounding. Perhaps a matching Arcam CDP (CD82 or newer CD17) or Rotel is a good match with Arcam.

nickos99

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the link... Altho budget for replacing the amp is probably around 700

Do you think I would notice changing the cdp?

The marantz is on its way out. I'm in no way unhappy with the sound of the audiolab just like to improve

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
different way to go but how about buy a synology nas and dac,rip all your music in flac to the nas,played through your dac of choice to the audiolab,controlled with the ds audio app on a mobile device,simple and brilliant. ;)

nickos99 said:
Thanks for the link... Altho budget for replacing the amp is probably around 700

Do you think I would notice changing the cdp?

The marantz is on its way out. I'm in no way unhappy with the sound of the audiolab just like to improve

You could plump for a new A19 or add about £100 and look at new Creek offering. But going with the example I've given above you'll have more money to splash on a CDP + cables...

When I heard the Audiolab 8000A it was too mechanical sounding, whereas Arcam or Creek are far more natural.

nickos99

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the advice the local Hifi shop has a preloved arcam a85 and p80 power amp, would you rate that too?

I do have a 4Tb nas I've ripped my blu rays to, I have music on there too but all in 320, I'm rebuilding the CD collection now I know the difference it makes but quite enjoy having the physical media again. I was completely wireless before with the av receiver and I just feel I lost something. I will eventually stream again but enjoying having cds again at the mo, actually considering one of those project carbon turntables I didn't realise you could play vinyl on a budget.

nickos99 said:
Thanks for the advice the local Hifi shop has a preloved arcam a85 and p80 power amp, would you rate that too?

In a word, yes. Arcam, above most other amps, really does benefit by adding a power amp, although I would be pestering the dealer for a P85, specifically designed for the A85. That said, the P80 will suffice. Also the A85 is a very good amp by itself.

I know Big Chris has the A85/P85 combo, and he could give you more insight in the combo.

KidKomet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I recently bagged the Yamaha CND500 from Richers, half price at £250. Fantastic CDP and it's networked for extra functionality. As for the amp, you honestly can't go wrong with a Creek Evo 50a. At your budget, it's tough to beat.

nickos99

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
thanks for the advice guys, i will look to arcam and creek as a replacements.

Like the sound of the networked CD player..

Sevenoaks has the NAD C516BEE for £179, that sounds pretty cheap to me, anyone with any experience of this, i cant find too many reviews on this player

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts