Which Cd player to demo with Arcam A39?

finlays

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi

I have been upgrading my hifi one piece at a time. I currently have an Arcam A39 amp, Kef R100 speakers and Marantz 6003cd player. I would like to upgrade the CD player next, and was hoping to get some advice as to a shortlist to demo. My budget is a maximum of 1300 and while I don't mind if the player has extra features like a dac or streamer, it's a quality cd player I'm after first and foremost.

What would people recommend to match my existing kit?

Many Thanks. Steve

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
save your self some cash and buy that primare d30.2 on ebay for £400,it's a steel at that money.

Is the transport reliable, is that not the Philips that caused a lot of problems, I see Primare replaced it in the Mark 2.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
For new players I would be looking at Arcam because you have Arcam amp. Marantz 8005 because they are good and have been reduced in price to under £600. Abrahamsen if you can demo one, is around £600. You could try Naim.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
Al ears said:
BigH said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:
save your self some cash and buy that primare d30.2 on ebay for £400,it's a steel at that money.

Is the transport reliable, is that not the Philips that caused a lot of problems, I see Primare replaced it in the Mark 2.

No, it's a Sony transport as far as I can aware.

i don't think so, the Mark 2 of 30.2 maybe.

See: http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/the_complete_d_a_dac_converter_list/

In that case the only mention I can find must be referring to the Mark 2

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I dont know the history of Primare cdps, but it seems odd that the mark 2 has a different transport if there were no problems with it, I believe this is the same transport Cyrus had problems with and when people complained they said it was not their fault. Even the WHF review said they had trouble loading disks but they still gave it 5 stars. There was an interesting saga from some owners under the owners feedback under the review unfortunately it has all disappeared from here.

finlays said:
Hi

I have been upgrading my hifi one piece at a time. I currently have an Arcam A39 amp, Kef R100 speakers and Marantz 6003cd player. I would like to upgrade the CD player next, and was hoping to get some advice as to a shortlist to demo. My budget is a maximum of 1300 and while I don't mind if the player has extra features like a dac or streamer, it's a quality cd player I'm after first and foremost.

What would people recommend to match my existing kit?

Many Thanks. Steve

Personally I'd be looking at better speakers. Arcams usually flourish with top notch speakers, as long as they aren't too difficult to drive: Focal, MA Gold, PMC... then you can add a Dac and use the the Marantz as transport.

rainsoothe

Hi. I agree that you should look at upgrading speakers first. Look at Focal Aria 906, ATC SCM11 (if the A39 has enough juice for those).

As for CDP, check out Arcam's own CDS27 (which is also a streamer), Audiolab stuff, and Naim CD5si.

finlays

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, I had not thought of that, as the R100 were an improvement to my old budget amp/speakers. So i will think about that idea. Thanks

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
+1 for Naim and Audiolab CD players.

Another idea for speakers are the Audio Physics Classic 10s which blew my old R100s away on the end of an A38. They are floorstanders but don't need much breathing space and don't take up any more floorspace than standmounts on stands.

p_m_brown said:

Another idea for speakers are the Audio Physics Classic 10s which blew my old R100s away on the end of an A38. They are floorstanders but don't need much breathing space and don't take up any more floorspace than standmounts on stands.

+1 for those speakers. Unfortunately it is very difficult to audition them in the UK.

p_m_brown said:

And over budget. Their entry-level model, unless I've missed the obvious, are nearly £1400... the OP originally mentioned about upgrading the CDP.

finlays

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Thank you everyone, and the suggestion of new speakers is not something I had thought of, but will certainly consider. Turning the question around a bit. Are there any other A39 owners out there? What have you found sounds good to you? Any obvious systems matches that you recommend or suggest avoiding?

rainsoothe

finlays said:
Thank you everyone, and the suggestion of new speakers is not something I had thought of, but will certainly consider. Turning the question around a bit. Are there any other A39 owners out there? What have you found sounds good to you? Any obvious systems matches that you recommend or suggest avoiding?

I used to own the A19, and it matched the Focals perfectly. Also, monitor audio seem to go well with Arcam. Again, upgrading speakers with that budget would be my first option. The R100 are ok I guess, but when I auditioned the R300 they sounded pretty dull to me, and the A39 needs more revealing speakers. Maybe also give ATC SCM11 or Triangle a go.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
finlays said:

I used to own the A19, and it matched the Focals perfectly. Also, monitor audio seem to go well with Arcam. Again, upgrading speakers with that budget would be my first option. The R100 are ok I guess, but when I auditioned the R300 they sounded pretty dull to me, and the A39 needs more revealing speakers. Maybe also give ATC SCM11 or Triangle a go.

Most of heard since hearing atc sound dull to me or as if somethings missing

Andrewjvt said:
rainsoothe said:
finlays said:

Most of heard since hearing atc sound dull to me or as if somethings missing

Don't doubt that for one moment. Arcam and ATC, though, I wouldn't think it's a match made in heaven. I love Arcam stuff but they can be a little 'lazy' when it comes to challenging speakers.

As you know this hobby is purely about synergy, and IMHO, there would be better matches such as Focal, MA Gold, PMC... ATC and midrange Dynaudio with Arcam I would be cautious. Certainly a dem will be essential.

If I had a A39 or one of the older flagship models I would look at Totem Arros, but that's assuming I don't need to blow the walls down.

finlays

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I've booked in to hear naim cd5si, Audiolab 8300 and Arcam cds27 AND a range of speakers including the focals 906 at my local audiot. I Will update the forum as to how I get on it about a week.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts