new to seperates, needing advice on what needs upgrading?

nickos99

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

Im new to the world of hifi, understanding more about source I wanted a proper stereo rather than the AV in pure direct.

My setup now is;

Audiolab 8000a

Cambridge audio azur 651c

Nad 556 turntable

Mission 780 argonauts

Arcam rlink DAC

QED silver anniversary speaker cable

While generally im happy with the sound, particularly when using the turntable, occasionally I feel something struggles, I played oasis whats the story album on cd and it almost sounded flat, muddled at times, yet I can put on some dylan, or velvet underground and really enjoy the experience. I just wondered what the weak link in my setup is?

And what would 700-1000 be best spent upgrading?

Thanks for your time and advice would be much appreciated.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
nickos99 said:
I played oasis whats the story album on cd and it almost sounded flat, muddled at times

That'll be Oasis for you - not saying there is or is not a problem with your system, but never found Oasis to be very well mastered IME

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
nickos99 said:
Hello all,

Im new to the world of hifi, understanding more about source I wanted a proper stereo rather than the AV in pure direct.

My setup now is;

Audiolab 8000a

Cambridge audio azur 651c

Nad 556 turntable

Mission 780 argonauts

Arcam rlink DAC

QED silver anniversary speaker cable

While generally im happy with the sound, particularly when using the turntable, occasionally I feel something struggles, I played oasis whats the story album on cd and it almost sounded flat, muddled at times, yet I can put on some dylan, or velvet underground and really enjoy the experience. I just wondered what the weak link in my setup is?

And what would 700-1000 be best spent upgrading?

Thanks for your time and advice would be much appreciated.

Nice little system!

IMO its the music/recording not your system!

nickos99

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, appreciated. That would explain the huge difference, ill have to try that cd on another system.

One other question, at the moment I just have the DAC for the tv, should I be connecting that to the cdp also? I did when I had the marantz but that had no DAC.

nickos99

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
i was thinking the missions could be the weak link, they are the Mk2 with the tweeter at the top, as far as i can tell not as highly regarded as the /Mk1 with the tweeter in the middle...

Would the Tannoy reveloutions DC6T, Dali Zensor 7 or Focal Chorus provide a meaningful upgrade?

Of course these speakers would need to be auditioned etc but its hard to know what kind of price point to look at when comparing to 30yr old speakers

thanks again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts