Question Advice on upgrading please

al

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

I’m thinking of upgrading my system, but over time, probably one component at a time.
My current system is around 8 years old or so, and consists of an Arcam A19 amp, a Rega RP3 turntable, a recently bought Limetree phono amp (I would highly recommend this, has made my LP collection come alive again) A Pioneer N50 network player, a Pioneer P-30 CD player and Kef R100 speakers.
I am finding the N50 increasing annoying to use, the app is appalling, and the Bubble app, though better than the Pioneer one, is still a bit flaky, at least with my system. Currently I store music on a Synology NAS.
I like the R100s, but I listen to several genres, and in particular with classical the detail could be better. With a full orchestra there is not the sharpness I would like.
Probably will upgrade the Arcam too, I like it, but starting to show its age, when its woken from standby the display is distorting, requiring a reboot. Also, to do justice to whatever speakers I get a more powerful amp is probably a good idea. The CD player can stay, hardly listen to CDs these days.
Regards streaming, I am thinking Roon could be the way to go, which certainly has a decent interface! I find the combinations around Roon rather confusing though, so requires a bit of research.

Since getting a significant improvement in sound is going to cost a bit (guessing around £1500 per component) it will definitely be one at a time, so here is the dilemma. What to upgrade first? I can see an argument for the network player, as this is the most annoying to use, but this will probably be more an improvement in usability rather than sound, and if I go the Roon way I’m not entirely sure it can be done one component at a time, as it seems to require a music server (don’t want to use a pc for this) and a streamer, or maybe an amp with a DAC. Probably speakers would make the biggest difference sound wise, but could be a greater issue with matching when upgrading the amp later.
I’m UK based by the way.
Any advice gratefully received!

Hello all,

I’m thinking of upgrading my system, but over time, probably one component at a time.
My current system is around 8 years old or so, and consists of an Arcam A19 amp, a Rega RP3 turntable, a recently bought Limetree phono amp (I would highly recommend this, has made my LP collection come alive again) A Pioneer N50 network player, a Pioneer P-30 CD player and Kef R100 speakers.
I am finding the N50 increasing annoying to use, the app is appalling, and the Bubble app, though better than the Pioneer one, is still a bit flaky, at least with my system. Currently I store music on a Synology NAS.
I like the R100s, but I listen to several genres, and in particular with classical the detail could be better. With a full orchestra there is not the sharpness I would like.
Probably will upgrade the Arcam too, I like it, but starting to show its age, when its woken from standby the display is distorting, requiring a reboot. Also, to do justice to whatever speakers I get a more powerful amp is probably a good idea. The CD player can stay, hardly listen to CDs these days.
Regards streaming, I am thinking Roon could be the way to go, which certainly has a decent interface! I find the combinations around Roon rather confusing though, so requires a bit of research.

Since getting a significant improvement in sound is going to cost a bit (guessing around £1500 per component) it will definitely be one at a time, so here is the dilemma. What to upgrade first? I can see an argument for the network player, as this is the most annoying to use, but this will probably be more an improvement in usability rather than sound, and if I go the Roon way I’m not entirely sure it can be done one component at a time, as it seems to require a music server (don’t want to use a pc for this) and a streamer, or maybe an amp with a DAC. Probably speakers would make the biggest difference sound wise, but could be a greater issue with matching when upgrading the amp later.
I’m UK based by the way.
Any advice gratefully received!
Tricky one. Not sure where to start, unless you can identify what would make the biggest upgrade first. I would suggest the amp can be bettered, then look at speakers. IMO they are the two most important aspects.

In your situation this would be my choice:

Arcam A39, which has a class G amplification. Sounds more open and lively yet retains many of the older Arcam traits.

Speakers: Either look at Kef LS50 Meta or if you 'up'' your budget slightly, I can highly recommend Harbeth P3 ESR XD. Fantastic speakers that sound as natural as anything I've heard or owned.

If you buy those speakers first, the A19 won't get the best from them.

rainsoothe

Unfortunately only Bluesound have decent software at the lower end of the budget, and you'll be surprised how many pricey components have mediocre or even bad software (Naim is pretty mediocre imo). What I'm saying is that there will be tradeoffs. If you can up your budget to 2k, you can hit 2 deer with one stone with a Naim Atom - it sounds great and has surprising grunt for it's quoted specs, and if you can have it wired via Ethernet, there should be no software issues. Some even use it with a Nap 200 power amp which you can add at a later date from the used market, but you, most likely, won't find the Atom lacking to begin with.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts