What CD Player to Go with Naim Nait 1 Amp?

Hi Fi Decision

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I currently have a teac reference 300CD and Amp running through Acoustic Energy ae209 floorstanding speakers using Linn cable. A friend gave me a Naim Nait 1 Amp which is 20 years old but still sounds good and still go for £200 second hand today. I wanted to replace my teac system with a new CD player and pair it with the naim using the exisiting speakers and cable.

I tried pairing it with the cambridge 640c V2. Detail is fantastic, as is dynamic range with a relatively wide sound stage. However sound is thin, lacks bass and can be shrill/unrelaxing at the high end. I also tried a Marantz CD5001 which is reasonable across the board but lacks clarity, detail and ambient feel of the cambridge although does not sound as thin and tinny at the low end. I have a varied music tast including ambient, rock, electronic and classical so the player needs to be good across the board.

Any recommendations would be appreciated! Many thanks.

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
I'd have a listen to Marantz's CD 6002 (£270). I think it's much better than the CD 5001. If you're willing to buy second hand, Arcam's CD 72 or 73T would work very well as would Rega's Planet.

A

Anonymous

Try the Rega Apollo for £600. Apparently very good player and should be a good match for the Naim.

Hi Fi Decision

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for those suggestions. One problem I've been told is the amp was supposed to be paired with a Linn turntable and sounds better with that than a CD player!

How much should I pay for a second hand Naim CD player and any ideas which one? Many thanks.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
I've got a Naim CD5i and love it to bits...

And look - there's one going on eBay - (and no it's not mine as I wouldn't sell it !!!)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280190068907&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018

matthewpiano

Rega Planet or, if you can stretch to it, an Apollo. If your budget is smaller look at the NAD players. Oh, and don't use silver speaker cable with that Nait. You'll risk damaging it. To be honest, I'd invest in some Naim NAC-A5 cable. Early Naits are VERY sensitive to the electrical properties of speaker cabling.

nads

[quote user="roger06"]

And look - there's one going on eBay - (and no it's not mine as I wouldn't sell it !!!)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280190068907&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018
[/quote]

I was listening to a Naim system over new year (the B&B we were at had one! and a Linn sondeck (with broken needle)) and i have to say that it was fine but .... basic (saying a person who has NADs) I liked the swing out CD draw and the magnet to hold the disc down....

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="nads"][quote user="roger06"]

[/quote]

I was listening to a Naim system over new year (the B&B we were at had one! and a Linn sondeck (with broken needle)) and i have to say that it was fine but .... basic (saying a person who has NADs) I liked the swing out CD draw and the magnet to hold the disc down....[/quote]

Basic indeed
- and this is one of the things I like about it! I love the fact that
it's so understated and that the design just yells, "All I do is play
CDs and I do that SO well I don't need to look flash"...

I too like the pull-out CD drawer - it seems archaic at first but it's so quick to change disks and
instills you with confidence as there's really nothing that can go
wrong with it - (although I do fear maybe dropping something on it
while it's open or catching it on a piece of clothing).

When I
bought the system it was worth more than the car I picked it up in but
it's really cheap by Naim standards and I'm determined to get some of their
'really' pricey stuff in the future.

Hi Fi Decision

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Someone has just told me the Cambridge CD player needs a long burn in. Although this may make it sound 'better' will it really do much to stop it sounding thin and lacking bass?

A

Anonymous

Why not try and get hold of a second hand Naim cd5i,there is a new model out now and dealers are selling off the older models ex/demo ect.
The other cdp that would match well is the Rega,make sure you use naca5/4 speaker cable with that amp anything else could damage it,and its a classic amp! Good Luck Chris C.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts