What bookshelf speakers to pair with Rega elex-r

supermegabasic

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi eveyone

i'm new to here, i've just bought a rega elex-r, to go with my rp3 turntable, i'm looking at what speakers to pair, very interested in the kef ls50, i love the look of them and had a listen at a local hifi shop, they sounded amazing, however this was through a 85w yamaha amp they where conected to,, ive herd the elex-r err's towards the brighter tonal side so i dont know if the kef's are a good suit or not, i want them to be, as there beautiful looking speakers,

if there not a match what bookshelf speakers should i go for? buget upto 1k,(pounds), room is around 3m x 4.5m with a high ceiling, i listen from classical-R&B-old school hiphop, all sorts

advice would be very much appreciated.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Personally you need to be demoing speakers at home with your amp, this is difficult as your room acoustics play a big part.

I would demo:

totem dreamcathers

neat motive sx1

and the new Rega RX1

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO. The LS50s are stunning and a bargain at the price. They also work fine with the Rega.....but you should still listen to the alternatives, like the new Regas, Sonus Faber Venere, Focal Aria and ATC SCM 7 or 11. There is also the R300, which gives more scale and impact than the LS50s...it sounds more like a small Floorstander.

Don't scrimp on stands, which should be part filled.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
supermegabasic said:
thanks guys, good to know your thoughts,?

will then add a cd player, to the elex-r, around the 700-1000 price region, if you have any ideas

cheers
I would advise that you listen to a Linn Sneaky (or equivalent), before shelling out for a CDP.

supermegabasic

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
I had a look at the linn sneaky, very interesting, will do some research, just one other thing will the elex-r have enough power(72.5w) for the ls50's to sing, as i keep reading they need some decent power.

thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
supermegabasic said:
I had a look at the linn sneaky, very interesting, will do some research,  just one other thing will the elex-r have enough power(72.5w) for the ls50's to sing, as i keep reading they need some decent power.

thanks
The Elex will drive the LS50s fine, within reason.....though make sure you listen for yourself.

supermegabasic

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
cheers

the thing is listening to speakers in a shop may sound different in my flat, if i take the rega there and listen and they sound brill, is it a safe bet they'll sound good at home, another question my room is rectangle, 3m x 4.6m, with a high ceiling 3m, if i can listern anywhere, is i better for speakers to be against the long wall or short wall

many thanks

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Personally think you will struggle getting LS50s to work in that room, but you need to find out for yourself - really need to demo at home - this is where it's important to build a relationship with a local,dealer and borrow lots of their demo speakers

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It will at least put your mind at rest about the amps ability to drive the speakers.

How close the system will sound in the shop, compared to your house is harder to say....so why don't you ask if you can return the speakers if you dislike the result. FWIW. I have yet to hear them sound bad and that's in a variety of different sized rooms.

The LS50s like a little room to breathe, so if the short wall has them in the corners, then that is not ideal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts