What Bi-Wire. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Rotel RA04 Amp with B&W 365 Speakers.  Can anyone advise of what I need to spend to get every last detail from my kit. Plus  any views on terminating ends would be appreciated.  Surely this is just putting another barrier between source and speakers.  Plaese help.

Thanks 

A

Anonymous

My personal opinion is that bi-wiring makes no difference to the speakers I've had in the past despite there being bi-wire terminals there for me to use. There are technical articles on the web supporting AND decrying bi-wiring. Your choice I guess, based on what you hear.

I can only tell you what I have done, which is to single wire, and leave the crossover to do the job it was designed to do. I would just find the thickest copper speaker wire I could, e.g. Van Damme Studio Blue 6mm or Belden 5000UP, and leave the links in the speakers. You may find the price for this cable distressingly cheap, which will cause you to think you are missing out by not spending hundreds of pounds. Don't worry, professional speaker manufacturers use these brands, and others even cheaper, for their professional installations. Check the PMC and Harbeth web sites for views on cables. The Harbeth site is especially interesting. Read and search their user group/forum, look at their FAQ etc. The gentleman who designs the speakers is a frequent contributor, including on cable issues.

You could, if you have a pressing desire, replace the links with a couple of bits of wire that you use as speaker wire. Just strip the ends and insert into the binding posts, one length per link, and as short as possible. As for the speaker wire itself, you could leave the ends bare and screw into the binding posts at the amp and speaker end. It's more traditional to use banana plugs for convenience though. Whatever you do, and before you are tempted to spend bucket loads of cash, try it this way first with the amp and speakers run in. You then have something to compare against if you decide to trial more pricey cables.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts