What are your best albums of 2017

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

radiorog said:
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Thanks will have to check them out. Albums like the shamen (en tact), enigma (mcm..... album), Dorfmeister early albums, are classic dance albums of the time too. I still love all the acid house stuff also.
Seriously, these albums are so worth a hunt. I've genuinely not heard better. I wasn't into enigma at the time as it was a year or two after my dance days, and I thought the single was just poppy, but I got into the album a couple of years ago, and it's pretty good. The crosses one. But not a patch on the ones I mentioned. Dorfmeister was good from what I remember, but again, morning the same class for me. Was a few years later too. I actually loved the shamens boss drum. A proper album from start to finish. They did an ambient album later (hempton mannor, I think it was called),which was ace, but again, not on streaming sites.

Of the shamen albums I think 'en tact' gets voted the best, and I like it most, but maybe not for all tastes. But it was when mr c was doing all that stuff from the house scene of early 90s like 'move any mountain', probably most successful period. Used to go and see Mr c at the time , also the prodigy. Braintree barn nightclub, Essex, early 90s. All the acid house stuff from states and British acid house stuff too.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
radiorog said:
Thanks will have to check them out. Albums like the shamen (en tact), enigma (mcm..... album), Dorfmeister early albums, are classic dance albums of the time too. I still love all the acid house stuff also.
Seriously, these albums are so worth a hunt. I've genuinely not heard better. I wasn't into enigma at the time as it was a year or two after my dance days, and I thought the single was just poppy, but I got into the album a couple of years ago, and it's pretty good. The crosses one. But not a patch on the ones I mentioned. Dorfmeister was good from what I remember, but again, morning the same class for me. Was a few years later too. I actually loved the shamens boss drum. A proper album from start to finish. They did an ambient album later (hempton mannor, I think it was called),which was ace, but again, not on streaming sites.

Of the shamen albums I think 'en tact' gets voted the best, and I like it most, but maybe not for all tastes. But it was when mr c was doing all that stuff from the house scene of early 90s like 'move any mountain', probably most successful period. Used to go and see Mr c at the time , also the prodigy. Braintree barn nightclub, Essex, early 90s. All the acid house stuff from states and British acid house stuff too.

Check out the Shamen's earlier album 'In Gorbachev we Trust' v interesting - they started out as a guitar band, my noisy punk band supported them in the late 80's, nice people albeit off their t#ts

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site

I must admit I've been mildly disappointed with the latest Steven Wilson album. For me, his best days were the Stupid Dream / In Absentia / Deadwing period of Porcupine Tree, and it's been a case of diminishing returns ever since. Just my opinion of course. I did love the first two Blackfield studio albums though, and their Live in NYC album is sublime.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
knaithrover said:
radiorog said:

Of the shamen albums I think 'en tact' gets voted the best, and I like it most, but maybe not for all tastes. But it was when mr c was doing all that stuff from the house scene of early 90s like 'move any mountain', probably most successful period.  Used to go and see Mr c at the time , also the prodigy. Braintree barn nightclub, Essex, early 90s. All the acid house stuff from states and British acid house stuff too. 

Check out the Shamen's earlier album 'In Gorbachev we Trust' v interesting - they started out as a guitar band, my noisy punk band supported them in the late 80's, nice people albeit off their t#ts
Will check it. I bet those were the days! Something to tell the grandkids

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
radiorog said:

Of the shamen albums I think 'en tact' gets voted the best, and I like it most, but maybe not for all tastes. But it was when mr c was doing all that stuff from the house scene of early 90s like 'move any mountain', probably most successful period.  Used to go and see Mr c at the time , also the prodigy. Braintree barn nightclub, Essex, early 90s. All the acid house stuff from states and British acid house stuff too. 
Sounds like good times. I was clubbing down in Plymouth about 92/95. I can't believe it but I've never heard that album. Going to be checking that out :)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
New albums (to my ears) that I've discovered this week are Kate Bush Hounds of Love and Santana 3.

I'm now listening to Santana 1 on Spotify for the first time ever! There's still so much great music that I haven't yet heard.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
That first Santana album is very good - Abraxas ( 2nd album) is very good too.

Listening to new Yusuf album - The Laughing Apple - (formerly Cat Stevens) on spotify - it's great to hear that wonderful voice again

tonky

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
tonky said:

I'm working my way through the first three Santana albums on Spotify as we speak (type). All very good stuff. I'm really enjoying them and have just bought all three of them on CD.

tonky said:
Listening to new Yusuf album - The Laughing Apple - (formerly Cat Stevens) on spotify - it's great to hear that wonderful voice again

tonky

I have Cat Stevens Greatest Hits album but I haven't tried any of his new stuff.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
tonky said:

Listening to new Yusuf album  - The Laughing Apple - (formerly Cat Stevens) on spotify - it's great to hear that wonderful voice again

tonky

Thanks you've just reminded me to buy the new cat Stevens (Yusuf)

Friends of mine in South Africa used to be his next door neighbor and they often went over for a sing with him

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts