What are your 10 favourite films ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
Blimey, this is almost impossible - almost cruel, actually. Like Sophie's Choice, but for your movie collection...

Here are 10, based solely on watchability, not (as is obvious when you go down the list) artistic merit. In no particular order.and subject to change within nanoseconds:

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Goldfinger (today's Bond of choice - could be just about any. Apart from Moonraker. Or View to a Kill)

Pulp Fiction

The Empire Strikes Back

The Big Lebowski (today's Coen Bros choice - could be just about any. Apart from The Ladykillers).

Grosse Point Blank

Moulin Rouge

It's a Wonderful Life

The Philadelphia Story/High Society (same story/script...but how can you choose between Frank Sinatra and Cary Grant?)

Goodfellas

Grosse point blank reminds me, I should have had High Fidelity on my list!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
garethwd:Good thread!

The big lebowski

The exorcist

The thing

The godfather

Event horizon

Amelie

O brother where art thou!

American beauty

Boogie nights

pans labyrinth

I want to add a few more! there other that it seems unfair to leave out

Another Amelie fan! Fair play Gareth.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
fr0g:dominic dawes:Wow. I never thought I'd see a great Kubrick film (2001: A Space Odyssey) sat next to a really dreadful parody of a Kubrick film (AI) on a best films list

I loved AI. In fact I have probably watched it more times than any other film apart from Pi.

It's obviously not a tour de force in filmmaking, but it had the necessary ingredient for me...watchability.

I also loved Daredevil with Ben Affleck!

The great thing about these forums, so many different views. I bought AI on dvd - thinking it has to be decent - should have realised something was up as it cost £2.99. Anyway, after struggling through it, it went straight in the bin. One of the worst films I've ever sat through. Sci fi Pinocchio done really badly.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
fr0g:Clare Newsome:
Blimey, this is almost impossible - almost cruel, actually. Like Sophie's Choice, but for your movie collection...

Here are 10, based solely on watchability, not (as is obvious when you go down the list) artistic merit. In no particular order.and subject to change within nanoseconds:

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Goldfinger (today's Bond of choice - could be just about any. Apart from Moonraker. Or View to a Kill)

Pulp Fiction

The Empire Strikes Back

The Big Lebowski (today's Coen Bros choice - could be just about any. Apart from The Ladykillers).

Grosse Point Blank

Moulin Rouge

It's a Wonderful Life

The Philadelphia Story/High Society (same story/script...but how can you choose between Frank Sinatra and Cary Grant?)

Goodfellas

Grosse point blank reminds me, I should have had High Fidelity on my list!

And Grifters!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Mmmm.....

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
Signs
The Fifth Element
all 3 L.O.T.R films (extended editions)
Blazing Saddles
This is Spinal Tap
Leon
Bladerunner
The Matrix
Saving Private Ryan.

A

Anonymous

Bums!
I forgot 2001:A Space Odyssey and The Godafther.....
Oh... and The Conversation and Paths of Glory....
Gotta be a top 50!

John Duncan

Do you have any recommendations, amer? Notes From A Scandal certainly had a couple of excellent performances in it - and was coincidentally set in the English Department of a secondary school. Are you familiar with this concept?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Steady on, chaps, it's all going a bit Showgirls
emotion-43.gif

... which reminds me... 'Worst films ever' thread coming up soon!

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:fr0g:dominic dawes:Wow. I never thought I'd see a great Kubrick film (2001: A Space Odyssey) sat next to a really dreadful parody of a Kubrick film (AI) on a best films list

I loved AI. In fact I have probably watched it more times than any other film apart from Pi.

It's obviously not a tour de force in filmmaking, but it had the necessary ingredient for me...watchability.

I also loved Daredevil with Ben Affleck!

The great thing about these forums, so many different views. I bought AI on dvd - thinking it has to be decent - should have realised something was up as it cost £2.99. Anyway, after struggling through it, it went straight in the bin. One of the worst films I've ever sat through. Sci fi Pinocchio done really badly.

I bought Pulp fiction not too long ago for 2.99 in euros! That's about 2 pounds for a disc containing a classic in pristine quality! Such a bargain!

A

Anonymous

Im suprised that im the only one with american beauty in my list!

A

Anonymous

wow this a hard one so many !!!!!! here goes

1 shawshank redemption

2 rock star

3 any rocky film

4 rambo 2

5 gone in 60 seconds

6 jurassic park

7 terminator 2

8 men of honour

9 behind enemy lines

10 predator

I'm not really a film buff. So most of the films I like tend to be from another era. My top ten are as follows:

Carry On Henry

The Battle of Britain

Brief Encounter

Ice Cold in Alex

Ray

Top Gun

Ryan's Daughter

We Can Take It!

The Dam Busters

Madagascar ("Wave and smile, boys. . .wave and smile!")

I will probably change my mind a little later. . . .
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

In no particular order

1 Gladiator
2 Independence day
3 Saving private ryan
4 Usual suspects
5 Indian jones, last crusade
6 Lotr 2
7 Matrix
8 Transformers
9 Braveheart
10 Deep impact

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
garethwd:Im suprised that im the only one with american beauty in my list!

It just proves that we all like different stuff, we both picked Amelie but I went to see American Beauty when it first came out and I found it ok but so over rated (there was talk at the time that it was the greatest film ever made!).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts