What are you watching?

Page 75 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Currently watching on 'Talking Pictures' "British Rock" documentary about How Punk evolved into various off-shoots, with live performances and interviews with the likes of The Jam, The Police, The Clash, Ian Drury, The Specials, Boomtown Rats, Madness etc etc... some wonderful memories.

Secrets of our Universe with Tim Peake on C5. He seems an engaging enough guy, and no doubt he's suitably clever - you don't get to be an astronaut if you're a dullard after all - but as with just about everything I've seen on C5 (admittedly not a lot!), the phrase 'dumbed down' doesn't do it justice. A pity, if not a surprise.

(Tim also had to do the voiceover for their twice-plugged competition - a long way down, in every sense, from being on the ISS...)

Reactions: WayneKerr

Gray

Secrets of our Universe with Tim Peake on C5. He seems an engaging enough guy, and no doubt he's suitably clever - you don't get to be an astronaut if you're a dullard after all - but as with just about everything I've seen on C5 (admittedly not a lot!), the phrase 'dumbed down' doesn't do it justice. A pity, if not a surprise.

(Tim also had to do the voiceover for their twice-plugged competition - a long way down, in every sense, from being on the ISS...)
You probably saw 'Voyage to Mars: The Longest Goodbye' on BBC4.
If not, it's probably worth a look for you.

Friesiansam

Good quality science programmes, that are not dumbed down/condescending, are becoming a rare sight. BBC4 being repurposed as a BBC archive recycler, isn't going to help.

Reactions: WayneKerr

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Just treated myself to the box set of the original Star Trek - not seen it for years. Shonky sets, poor acting, plot holes (and we're only two episodes in) but loving it! (That said, the Enterprise looks better than I would have expected for something so old).

I think it's like a lot of things that I watched with my mum as a kid and therefore have innate fondness for.
You're right I just watched Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, then the TOS episode Balance of Terror thats inc' the old Enterprise doesn't look too bad.

You're right I just watched Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, then the TOS episode Balance of Terror thats inc' the old Enterprise doesn't look too bad.
Are you watching the versions with 'enhanced' special effects? I am, and suspect that these shots have been given a sympathetic makeover (i.e. NOT like Lucas did with Star Wars) - the Enterprise in the opening credits looks no better than I remember!

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Are you watching the versions with 'enhanced' special effects? I am, and suspect that these shots have been given a sympathetic makeover (i.e. NOT like Lucas did with Star Wars) - the Enterprise in the opening credits looks no better than I remember!
It was just one episode that can with the strange new worlds box set, the video screen was pants, maybe its just been cleaned up for blu ray but it did look good.

Is the enhanced version named as a remaster or in anyway, I'll look it up on Amazon

It was just one episode that can with the strange new worlds box set, the video screen was pants, maybe its just been cleaned up for blu ray but it did look good.

Is the enhanced version named as a remaster or in anyway, I'll look it up on Amazon
Looks like this one, not easy to find:

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Reactions: Cricketbat70

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts