What are you watching?

Page 54 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
91scGccSMBL._SL1500_.jpg

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Both of the newest Star Trek Films I've been to the flicks to see. Watched the first one in 3D. I've seen Iron Man 3 in 3D as well, and some others. Tend to go for non 3D now though. For some reason I don't actually enjoy it that much at the VUE cinemas, but I always enjoyed going to the IMAX to see 3D films there ...before it closed that is.

I saw Pacific Rim at the flicks a while ago. Don't usually go in for that kind of film, but I was engaged from beginning to end. Terrificly entertaining and non stop action. Noisy non stop action films usually make me fall asleep :grin: but this kept my interest all the way through. Thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
From my sick bed, today I've watched Red Cliff by John Woo

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425637/

I've been meaning to get Red Cliff Part II for a while and after watching part 1 again (streamed it from my PC to upstairs tele) I am now inspired to see how it pans out :grin: :) Excellent film!

Also watched John Altman's Short Cuts.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108122/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

This is one of my favourite films. I got a Criterion Collection version of it (complete with book) years back when I was collecting. It's also long enough to make the time pass in bed. Well, that with the previous film can kill the boredom.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
La Grande Bouffe DVD

First saw this film many years ago and was astonished by it. Spent years trying to find it on DVD and eventually got hold of a release. As an older version of myself it resonates more and more. Aside of the philosophical statement from beginning to end it is highly entertaining and daring. Never get bored of it.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0070130/

The Bourne Quadrilogy Blu-Ray box set

Fantastic film series. The stories are smart and accessible. The films look amazing on bluray. Stunning in fact. The box set is only £13 at Amazon which I'd say is a real bargain. Even though the fourth film is an add on to the trilogy it is very well integrated into the existing storyline and is very enjoyable nonetheless. The first three are the best I'd say though but Legacy is sufficiently entertaining even without Matt Damon involved. I can forgive it its weaknesses ;-)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourne_(film_series)

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Gravity 3D at the flicks - superb.

Last weekend Billy Elliot the musical in London. 10 years since we last saw this and still a great show, providing you ain't tory.

Merry christmas Maggie Thatcher.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Had some evenings to myself over the last month or so, been catching up:

Star Trek: Into Darkness: I enjoyed it, not sure what everyone was moaning about, enjoyable, great picture quality (love that lens flare!).

Source Code: Great film, tight performances, really efficient story telling, "interesting" physics (for certain values of interesting), entertaining 90 minutes.

Kick-Ass: Hmm, I should have loved this, I didn't. I liked it, sure but I was expecting it to be a lot more "me" than it was. Slightly perturbed, morally, at watching a fully grown man repeatedly punching an 11 year old girl in the face (even if she is Hit-Girl and in what universe does that not break her jaw in several places?). American's still can't deliver the c-bomb properly (see American Beauty). Won't bother with the sequel.

Looper: Really surprised me, I expected a lot less to be honest, with more dumb action, got a far more thoughtful and at times, disturbing, film than that. Nice to see Bruce Willis crying for a role, slighty put off by Joseph Gordon Levitt's peculiarly plastic looking face though, still haven't worked out if he was wearing prosthetics to make him look more like Bruce. If not, yeek...

Attack The Block: Fantastic! 88 minutes of tight, taut, fun, simple premise, well directed, great acting (with a couple of little gems in Probs and Mayhem), great effects on what was clearly a pretty small budget, I can well see why Joe Cornish has been linked with the next Star Trek film.

Paul.

Watched Pacific RIm again last night. Saw it in the cinema and thought it was ace, Bluray transfer is stunning. One of those films that makes your TV sing, so colourful and punchy. I hope more films get made in the 16:9 aspect ratio, I don't feel you loose anything at the cinema but you gain a lot at home.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Hunger Games Catching Fire at the pictures and England getting stuffed by the Aussies in the Ashes. Oh I do like a bit of 90mph bowling especially if I don't have to face it. 2-0 down unless it rains all day tomorrow. :cry: And Perth next.:help: :pray:

D

Deleted member 2457

I watched Kick-Ass 2 on Blu-ray last night and it was pretty good. Picture and sound was great again, and not a bad plot - recommended.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Currently it's 'James May's Toy Story', with James riding a Meccano motorcycle around the I.O.M TT course...

Watched 'American Hustle' last night. Surprised just how good it was and wasn't expecting it to be so funny either. Definitely worth a trip to the cinema if you're looking for something to do.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts