What are you listening to?

Page 240 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Great choice sillyoldman Rush moving pictures my opinion one of the best sounding albums out there one of my kit testers

A

Anonymous

Agreed Soccer.

Witch Hunt in particular is 1) an amazing track and 2) a system tester par excellance.

Neil Peart is one of the best percussionists ever, in my humble opinion.

A

Anonymous

soccer:Great choice sillyoldman Rush moving pictures my opinion one of the best sounding albums out there one of my kit testers

Just thinking Soccer that you may have stumbled upon an idea for a new thread "System Tester Tracks - what di you use?"

I'll give a starter for 10

Johnny Cash - Then I see a Darkness - from American III: Solitary Man.

daveh75

51-k6Ciks6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I Am Kloot-Sky At Night

A

Anonymous

right on sillyoldman i think i will try that system tester thread right now

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Van Canto - A capella metal - clever and fun.
emotion-1.gif

"Five singers, one drummer. No guitars, no bass, no keyboards but nevertheless an unbelievable melodic metal experience."

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Peter Crosby:

The Cinematic Orchestra - Ma Fleur (I love all their albums)

Thanks for the recommendation - interesting and enjoyable listening.

matthewpiano

41WJnXqx3YL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Domingo is superb on this disc and the symphonic poem 'La nuit de mai' is a delight to listen to. The short selection of 5 of Leoncavallo's songs and 2 of his piano pieces at the end of the disc is only spoilt by Lang Lang's playing which typically lacks subtlety and doesn't show him to be a particularly skilled vocal accompanist. I do wish DG would stop relying on him as a crowd-puller - there are many far better pianists out there.

51Cln2BTlVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A very good recording of Verdi's masterpiece with particularly fine choral and orchestral performances. The soprano and bass soloists stand out, but Rolando Villazon disappoints in the tenor solo role. Pappano's natural understanding of Verdi's music and his ability to make the most of its beauty and drama is ultimately what makes this recording well worth having. A fine conductor indeed.

matthewpiano

41CYZ10Z6WL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I also just played the Offertorio from Reiner's 1960 recording of the Verdi and it was interesting to hear how much more Jussi Bjoerling makes of the tenor part than Rolando Villazon. Furthermore, good though Anja Harteros is in Pappano's recording, the singing of Leontyne Price for Reiner is on another level again. I must listen to the Reiner in its entirety again soon.

51yYuHFGNEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Now listening to some Handel, beautifully performed under the baton of Harry Christophers and beautifully recorded by Chandos.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts