What are you listening to?

Page 101 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

daveh75

51Rga3o-YKL._SS500_.jpg

idc

Brisk: Love the Trail of dead, got all their albums, but since I've been into hi-fi I find them very hard to listen to because they are so lo-fi.

I was listening to that a couple of days ago. It sounds great on Spotify and if it was recorded as lo-fi, so be it. Or else that is hifi getting in the way of music and that is plain wrong IMHO! Having an old and modern prog rock day, Syd Barrat is now on Spotify..

41P2ZXHQ4FL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
41P87BKVZXL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

lonely boy

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
idc:

LB, is there any of your music; Music - EAI, Improvisation, lowercase, Sound Art on the internet/Spotify/youtube so I can have a listen? I fancy listening to some shoe-gaze rock and lowercase.

Sorry idc - I didn't spot your post earlier - this thread grows at a rate of knots!

As great as Spotify is, it is mostly mainstream-ish music and the above types of music are pretty obscure in comparison. There is quite a bit of "eai" type stuff on YouTube, but to be honest the sound quality doesn't do the music much justice and you really need to listen to a piece as a whole.

I might try and write and introduction/primer sometime if anyone is interested, I'm not the greatest writer in the world and there are more knowledgeable people hiding out in the dark corners of the internet.

Anyway, here's a decent short movie featuring Sachiko M and Toshimaru Nakamura that's worth a look -

No-Input

I'll add more links if I find anything else interesting.

e

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
45986624encodingjpgsize300fallbackd.jpg

The Gathering - `Mandylion` (dble cd)

Great album. The 10th anniversary special edition is the one to get as the demos on disc 2 are terrific.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Shinedown - The Sound Of Madness.

Not particularly heavy but good rock regardless. Impulse purchase after hearing their single 'Second Chance' which is a great song.

A

Anonymous

If you're into Moby's whole strings-and-samples fare, then there are a few tracks on here that are as good as anything he's ever done, and there are some surprising influences to be found scattered around the album. Unfortunately, the odd whiff of Joy Division and an interesting decison to go with old school back-bedroom production aren't interesting enough to get you past the fact that the bulk of the album is so monotonous that you'll feel genuinely indignant that anyone expected you to sit and listen to it.

Moby Wait For Me Review

Personally, I'm going to cleanse my lugholes with a bit of Greetings From Asbury Park.

legoyoda

May 8, 2009
Visit site
RE: Moby. Thats a shame. I was rather loking forward to this one but on hearing it I do agree. dull with patches of greatness. Certainly nothing like as good as Play or Hotel (or sort of 18)

TRENDING THREADS