What are the best under €1000 power amps (hifi)

gasolin

I wanted to look for a power amp (hifi) with more than 100 watt pr channel in 8 ohm but more or less all of these best amps on sites like whathifi is about integrated amps.

What are the best under €1000 power amps (hifi) with more than 2x100 watt in 8 ohm (speakers B&W 607), max weight my glass shelf can handle is 15kg so under 15kg and i don't want a thin bright sounding amp.

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
I wanted to look for a power amp (hifi) with more than 100 watt pr channel in 8 ohm but more or less all of these best amps on sites like whathifi is about integrated amps.

What are the best under €1000 power amps (hifi) with more than 2x100 watt in 8 ohm (speakers B&W 607), max weight my glass shelf can handle is 15kg so under 15kg and i don't want a thin bright sounding amp.

NAD 268 seems to fit the bill, here's a review with measurements.

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
I have though about the amp but think i for the can find somethingt better also a little short on power in 8 ohm

Maybe a Rotel? there dosnt seem to be that many options out there, I have a 1506 3 channel in a HT and I'm happy with it also fit and finish is excellent.

gasolin

Where i wanted to buy a rb 1552 MKII (where it was cheapest), it wasn't stock untill next month, next model RB-1582mk II don't get to good reviews and is expensive, especially compared to the price of my speakers, would make more sense to buy the rb 1552 MKII + better speakers than keep my 607's and get the rb 1582MKII

That's also what amazed me , almost no best budget power amps, best power amps or something like that, only best integrated amps.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 116933

Its going to be difficult find power amps in general pretty rare nowhere days,

Edit sorry did mean to press post lol

maybe a roksan still make amps rotel, nad second hand naims,

isn't really a lot in this price range having a look about

Last edited by a moderator:

gasolin

It's not difficult to find a power amp, what is a challenge is to find hifi power amps with 2x100 watt for 500 euros or just a little more, rotel used to make budget power amps as well as nad, cheapest rotel power amp is more than a €1000, nad around €950

In the old days 25 years ago a Rotel rb-980bx with 2x120 watt in 8 ohm was around €500

Not excatly low budget and new it's hard to find 2 mono amps or 2 stereo amps and use them in bridge mode, unless you like to have a modest powered pro-ject power amp or a ultra small diy class d amp .

Last edited:
Where i wanted to buy a rb 1552 MKII (where it was cheapest), it wasn't stock untill next month, next model RB-1582mk II don't get to good reviews and is expensive, especially compared to the price of my speakers, would make more sense to buy the rb 1552 MKII + better speakers than keep my 607's and get the rb 1582MKII

That's also what amazed me , almost no best budget power amps, best power amps or something like that, only best integrated amps.
Probably because the power amps are going to depend greatly on what preamp you are going to use them with so hard to categorise on their own.

gasolin

Update: i decided to buy a nad c268, it was on sale in the outlet store with a discount, box had been open or it was a demo amp i saved a litte money compared to a new amp, not much all expenses included

I don't see many reviews of the amp, more of the nad c368, i wouldn't what less than 80 in 8 ohm when i want to play loud

My class d amp is good, i does have a lot of power but the highs are not always good when playing loud and i did notice a difference when i got from my nad amp to the class d in the width and depth of the stereo image,soundstage

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Update: i decided to buy a nad c268, it was on sale in the outlet store with a discount, box had been open or it was a demo amp i saved a litte money compared to a new amp, not much all expenses included

I don't see many reviews of the amp, more of the nad c368, i wouldn't what less than 80 in 8 ohm when i want to play loud

My class d amp is good, i does have a lot of power but the highs are not always good when playing loud and i did notice a difference when i got from my nad amp to the class d in the width and depth of the stereo image,soundstage

Did you read that review I linked Gasolin? they're measuring 300 watts peak output. Anyway I hope you're happy with it

gasolin

The 300watt is bridged and that is around £1800 or more than €2000 for 2 amps

The review say 79 watt in 8 ohm but not peak power, 96 in 4 ohm, 102 1%thd and 230 peak in 4 ohm as metioned it's 2.3 times peak power

2.3x79 watt is 182 watt peak power in 8 ohm, only rated at 120 watt peak in 8 ohm (nad amps are often understated in power)

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
The 300watt is bridged and that is around £1800 or more than €2000 for 2 amps

The review say 79 watt in 8 ohm but not peak power, 96 in 4 ohm, 102 1%thd and 230 peak in 4 ohm as metioned it's 2.3 times peak power

2.3x79 watt is 182 watt peak power in 8 ohm, only rated at 120 watt peak in 8 ohm (nad amps are often understated in power)

I misremembered

gasolin

I totally missed the crosstalk problem, even when i looked at the graph, any comments ? 😢

2021-02-12 21_27_22-NAD C268 Power Amplifier Review _ Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum – Googl...png

gasolin

I think you gotta read less into specs and measurements. 1000 money can get you a 2nd hand Naim Nap200, for instance, which would be more than adequate and even a bit overkill for a pair of 607, imo.

I found an old NAIM NAP 200 (not dr) but the amp is 15 years old and it doesn't use standard interconnects, i didn't find any cheap interconnects

Last edited:

gasolin

I have also found some exposure amp, 18 and 2010 but i must admit with the good reviews (mabye the best reviews of any non rotel michi amps in Rotel's current line up) im going for the Rotel a11 tribute, it's good, almost for it's priceclass, perfect sound,class leading, if not the best in it's price range (together with the rega brio r) and more power than it's rated for by almost 50%.

Rega brio r has less power and i noticed som say rega elex r and mabye also brio r having a weak pop sound when you turn on the amp (ocd), price is 9-10% higher than the rotel a11 tribute, togehter with the higher power and that rotel often being a good match for B&W made Rotel take win over Rega.

I wanted to keep using my nad 1000 with a power amp but im not shure the rb 1552 mk II is better just because it's got more power than the a11 tribute, i regretted ordering the nad c268, it's no better than the nad c368 that might be to smooth, a little borring sounding, have long time ago last year heard the nad c3.. according to the dealer the c268 should be a little better but i doubnt it will (not amoung the best in it's price range), next i will be looking for a used silent cd player

rainsoothe

I have also found some exposure amp, 18 and 2010 but i must admit with the good reviews (mabye the best reviews of any non rotel michi amps in Rotel's current line up) im going for the Rotel a11 tribute, it's good, almost for it's priceclass, perfect sound,class leading, if not the best in it's price range (together with the rega brio r) and more power than it's rated for by almost 50%.

Rega brio r has less power and i noticed som say rega elex r and mabye also brio r having a weak pop sound when you turn on the amp (ocd), price is 9-10% higher than the rotel a11 tribute, togehter with the higher power and that rotel often being a good match for B&W made Rotel take win over Rega.

I wanted to keep using my nad 1000 with a power amp but im not shure the rb 1552 mk II is better just because it's got more power than the a11 tribute, i regretted ordering the nad c268, it's no better than the nad c368 that might be to smooth, a little borring sounding, have long time ago last year heard the nad c3.. according to the dealer the c268 should be a little better but i doubnt it will (not amoung the best in it's price range), next i will be looking for a used silent cd player

The Rotel A11 Tribute will be enough for the B&W, but don't only go by reviews or dealers saying "X product is best in class", since you might enjoy different stuff than the reviewer or dealer. Just listen and if you like it, keep it, if you don't, don't.

As for the Naim you found, it's probably not worth going for unless it's been serviced or cheap enough to allow servicing (which, since brexit, is extra-inconvenient if you don't live in the UK). There used to be a website where you could buy really cheap and very good Naim compatible interconnects, but sadly the man recently passed away. But if you're ever in need for such stuff, what you need is RCA to 4 pin DIN (Flashbacksales was the name of the company). I think I still have one lying around, and would gladly send it to you, but unfortunately the local private courier services don't use international road postage, and the national post service is pretty bad...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts