What Amplifier shall I get?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have Monitor Audio GS10 speakers on Partington Super Dreadnought stands, Cyrus 8 Amplifier and Cyrus 6 CD player. I use Chord Interconnects and Silver Anniversary Speaker Cable. I also have an Archo 160Gbyte and play quite a bit of music through that and its dock into the HIFI.

My Main problem at the moment is that the sound is rather clinical and a bit bright. Its also not powerful enough. So I was thinking of changing my amplifier to try and get a bit more warmth.

Anyone have any suggestions on what would be ideal?

Cheers

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Everything you have errs in the same direction. Assuming you have the original 8 you could get the 8vs2. More weight and perceived power but its still not exactly lush. the 8x or newer se machines will also extend the bass but again, it probably wont make it sound the way you want. As an alternative to changing your system (parts of it) you could experiment with a good small sub. I was very hesitant to try that myself as I had some unpleasant experiences in the past but my recent encounter (now ownership) with a small version of the breed had made me re-think.

It wont just underpin the music but also add warmth in the midrange and balance treble. Comes in handy for films, is flexible, switch offable and cheaper than a new amp. Its also something you can carry forward should you change the system in future. I have nowth experience with the things other than what I got. I believe MJ Acoustics and BK Electronics are good value but beyond that I'm not the guy to ask.

Perhaps worth a try. If not, buy a puresound A30.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
You could also try adding a Cyrus PSX-R to either (or both) your CD player or amplifier - it adds real weight and heft to the sound. Why not try one/two out at your local dealer and see what you think?

A

Anonymous

QED cables and Cyrus kit just aren't right - lean and bright. You're better off with Cyrus's in-house cables.

Your set-up looks fine, really except for your cables (IMO). Spendor speakers are sublime with Cyrus kit - if you are ever thinking of changing the MA's, althought these are superb speakers with other kit.

A

Anonymous

GeekyGraham:What Amplifier shall I get?

Even I can not forsee the future...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:You could also try adding a Cyrus PSX-R to either (or both) your CD player or amplifier - it adds real weight and heft to the sound. Why not try one/two out at your local dealer and see what you think?

Indeed, it does make some difference. In my system it added clarity more than anything else though. I dont think you can add a psx to the original 6.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
EvilWolf:
QED cables and Cyrus kit just aren't right - lean and bright. You're better off with Cyrus's in-house cables.

Your set-up looks fine, really except for your cables (IMO). Spendor speakers are sublime with Cyrus kit - if you are ever thinking of changing the MA's, althought these are superb speakers with other kit.

Cyrus kit does indeed thrive with its own cables -again, something to try at your dealers.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
GeekyGraham:

I have Monitor Audio GS10 speakers on Partington Super Dreadnought stands, Cyrus 8 Amplifier and Cyrus 6 CD player. I use Chord Interconnects and Silver Anniversary Speaker Cable. I also have an Archo 160Gbyte and play quite a bit of music through that and its dock into the HIFI.

My Main problem at the moment is that the sound is rather clinical and a bit bright. Its also not powerful enough. So I was thinking of changing my amplifier to try and get a bit more warmth.

Cheers

The best combo I've heard to this day remains a pair of Monitor Audio Gold Series 20s and a Musical Fidelity X-T100 (interestingly, both products received only 4 stars by WHF, but together I thought they were magic)... The X-T100 would solve your brightness problem... but might not do much for power... Your best bet is to to audition the combo for yourself...

A

Anonymous

Try a Sonneteer Alabaster, it really is simply one of the best amplifiers at that price, it's warm, sweet, and very musical, you won't get fatigue listening to it, you'd also need to spend serious money to improve on these amplifiers, Sudgen A21SE are also worth a look. I'd change the cable for solid core copper instead of silver platted, silver plated to my ears always sound tinny and unnatural.

A

Anonymous

Sugden is a nice amp but for a great sound, fantastic build and looks with loads of power and detail i would recommend a Pathos Logos, just sold mine and it was a great amp. can be bought used for about £1300 to £1700 bagain at that!

A

Anonymous

Hughes123:GeekyGraham:What Amplifier shall I get?

Even I can not forsee the future...

A pedant grammarian writes...

The use of the modal verb "shall" in an interrogative construction invites suggestion from the interlocutor. Had the OP used the modal "will", this would have invited a prediction based on past experience or knowledge.

Sorry, just had to set that one straight.

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much for all the suggestions guys

I can't believe the speaker cables could make that much difference! - But I shall try and give it a go. trouble is, for my room I am going to need the 5mtre Cyrus cables which are going to cost me about £250!!! - Thats about £200 more than my existing cabling!

I was thinking about getting a Cyrus X power and using it to drive the woofers and using my existing Integrated 8 to drive the tweaters.... what difference do you think that might make?

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:The Monitor Audio's [IMO] need a smoother sounding amp. I would certainly recommend the Roksan kandy, 120 watts, will certainly give you additional power and will match GS10's nicely.

Musical Fidelity works for me. Loads of power in reserve.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

GeekyGraham:

Cheers

You haven't said what your budget is, but the Leema Pulse sounds exactly what you are looking for. Much warmer than Cyrus or Naim but it does cost £1100. If that is too much then the Kandy seems like a good match, although it may be worth waiting for a review of the new one, if you can handle the looks! The decision many people are now trying to make is whether to go fully digital or not and that can have a big impact on what amp to get, as you've then got to consider the cost of the DAC and whether or not to go for an amp with a good DAC built in. The right DAC could make a big difference to the sound you're getting from the Cyrus 6.

TRENDING THREADS