Question What amplifier for Vandersteen 2Ce Sig with CD player

gordo

Nov 1, 2020
Visit site
I'm buying a pair of Vandersteen 2Ce Sigs (II or III), and I'm trying to find the best integrated amp for $2500 or less to go with them. I listen almost exclusively to CDs (Sony CDP-CE500 5-Disc CD Changer) - prog rock and classical. I'm considering Rotel RA-1572 (I heard Rotels are great with Vands) but I read one review saying it has distortion (?), but a great DAC. (Having the DAC means I would have the option of connecting the CD player's digital output to the Rotel's digital input to use its DAC, right? - that seems obvious, but most people only mention an amp's DAC with respect to a USB) Are any integrated amps in my price range known to be better than RA-1572 for Vandersteen 2Ce Sigs (and CDs)?

Welcome! I’ve never heard Vandersteens, and though there are a few dealers here in the UK I’m not sure how many will know them.

I always think that amplifiers that don’t suffer import taxes or exchange rate costs are best value, so I don’t know if there is anything from the likes or, say, Parasound or Emotiva in your price range. I’m assuming you’re buying new, because if used then I’d look at McIntosh, Krell and Mark Levinson models.

Unless you’re keen to try another a DAC, you’d have more choice if just looking for an amplifier without DAC, though they’re increasingly common nowadays. A stand-alone DAC would give you more flexibility. (Yes, you would take the digital ‘out’ from your Sony CD, into the DAC).

Have you got a good dealer within reach?

Reactions: Al ears

gordo

Nov 1, 2020
Visit site
Welcome! I’ve never heard Vandersteens, and though there are a few dealers here in the UK I’m not sure how many will know them.

I always think that amplifiers that don’t suffer import taxes or exchange rate costs are best value, so I don’t know if there is anything from the likes or, say, Parasound or Emotiva in your price range. I’m assuming you’re buying new, because if used then I’d look at McIntosh, Krell and Mark Levinson models.

Unless you’re keen to try another a DAC, you’d have more choice if just looking for an amplifier without DAC, though they’re increasingly common nowadays. A stand-alone DAC would give you more flexibility. (Yes, you would take the digital ‘out’ from your Sony CD, into the DAC).

Have you got a good dealer within reach?

Yes, Vandersteen speakers are pretty awesome, especially for classical music. My sister has a couple, and they sound beautiful. I actually wasn't looking for an amp with a DAC, but I had almost settled on the Rotel RA-1572 before I even realized they had one (missed it in the spec). Its DAC is an AKM premium 32-bit/768kHz, which a couple of reviews I've read praised (probably significantly better than my Sony 5-CD changer's DAC, which isn't even mentioned in the specs).

Mabye I'll see if I can hear the RA-1572/Vandersteens in person at a dealer (if that's permitted with our covid increasing here in Massachsetts).

Yes, Vandersteen speakers are pretty awesome, especially for classical music. My sister has a couple, and they sound beautiful. I actually wasn't looking for an amp with a DAC, but I had almost settled on the Rotel RA-1572 before I even realized they had one (missed it in the spec). Its DAC is an AKM premium 32-bit/768kHz, which a couple of reviews I've read praised (probably significantly better than my Sony 5-CD changer's DAC, which isn't even mentioned in the specs).

Mabye I'll see if I can hear the RA-1572/Vandersteens in person at a dealer (if that's permitted with our covid increasing here in Massachsetts).
I was going to suggest you audition the Parasound Halo HINT 6 but I gather this might be over your budget depending on where you are in States. Another, much cheaper, suggestion would be the Rogue Audio Sphinx.
Rotel amps are pretty good with any speakers and have no idea what that 'distortion' review is suggesting.
What does not help is we in the UK have little idea as to what a particular amplifier would cost you in the States so something of a bargain over here might not be over there.

Reactions: nopiano

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts