What amp for my speaker and turntable

Jimboh

Jul 27, 2021
Visit site
I have inherited two Naim Credo Speakers and a Rega 2 turntable. What’s the cheapest way of getting this set up and started - with upgrades for another day. Ta

D

Deleted member 116933

Hello

Think the clue is in the Naim

Can be picked up all over eBay. Something from the nait range would be a good happy place. Just be wary if you buy really early examples of naim amps the speaker cables MUST be a certain length and Type. Look at linn k20 and needs to be 4meter a side will cost around 30-40quid. Later naim stuff it doesn’t matter just the earlier models will end very badly

You’d need a phono stage as well but that’s not a great big expense. But earlier naim models came with a phono stage you just need the right type for your cart

Reactions: Jimboh

shadders

Hi,
I would either purchase a working second hand amplifier, or use Richer Sounds or another outlet to purchase an amplifier that does not need special length cables as per the post above. QED79 strand is more than adequate for speaker cables.

The speakers are rated at 6ohms, 89dB, 90watts, so you don't need a powerful amplifier.

EDIT : Obviously, you need an amplifier with a phono stage inbuilt.

Regards,
Shadders.

shadders

I have inherited two Naim Credo Speakers and a Rega 2 turntable. What’s the cheapest way of getting this set up and started - with upgrades for another day. Ta
Hi,
If you purchase a Naim amplifier, they do not include an output inductor in their design, so you need to use special speaker cables, with a minimum length. Please see :

As such, i would not purchase Naim amplifiers - Naim cables can be costly.

Regards,
Shadders.

Reactions: Al ears
D

Deleted member 116933

Hi,
If you purchase a Naim amplifier, they do not include an output inductor in their design, so you need to use special speaker cables, with a minimum length. Please see :

As such, i would not purchase Naim amplifiers - Naim cables can be costly.

Regards,
Shadders.

“Naim cables can be costly”. That’s not entirely accurate. Linn k20 aka naca4 is 5quid a meter so about the same as “cheap” qed and more importantly is bang on spec if needed. As I stated will cost about 40quid for the required lengths for the pair.

As I stated only needed on the early examples. Chrome bumper for example.

Naim nait 5i the op would be absolutely fine. As they include that all important network and you can use what ever cables you like. and the credos will sound as intended by there manufacturers.

The cheapest would be any half-decent integrated amp with a phono input, of which a few seem to be on eBay for £100 upwards. There’s lots of tat though, so caution is required.

There’s a relatively cheap new Rega io amplifier for under £400 if you want something new and guaranteed. The obvious choice is a Naim amp, noting that not all have phono inputs, and some require the care mentioned above about cabling. (Quite recently I was certain that all the current Naims were entirely agnostic on cables, but some still require minimum lengths to my surprise. Their website makes this clear)

Reactions: Jimboh

Jimboh

Jul 27, 2021
Visit site
I do have quite a bit of Naim speaker cable with these funny pin plugs on end. That has confused me, as that won’t fit in a standard amp?

Would it only be an amp with phone stage I would need - or do I need preamps etc.?

I am just looking to get this working - upgrades can happen in the future.

Jimboh

Jul 27, 2021
Visit site
I do have quite a bit of Naim speaker cable with these funny pin plugs on end. That has confused me, as that won’t fit in a standard amp?

Would it only be an amp with phone stage I would need - or do I need preamps etc.?

I am just looking to get this working - upgrades can happen in the future.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 7
I have a bluepoint special evo III cart, if that helps
Yours is a high output MC, yes? It should work with a regular MM input but the gain might be low. If your chosen amp wasn’t suitable, a better phono stage (pre-preamp) can be plugged into a spare Aux input.

You can simply chop off the Naim plugs and use bare wire with most amplifiers. Unless they unscrew, which I can’t tell from the pics.

Last edited:

Jimboh

Jul 27, 2021
Visit site
I have been speaking with the nice folks over at Richer Sounds, and they reckon I need a more powerful amp for the speakers I have - I’ve attached some photos. They’ve suggested the Cambridge AudioCXA81 amp - but at a cool grand, this is not the cheap starter set up I was looking for. I want cheap, but I don’t want to damage anything either. The cheaper amp they reckon is underpowered is the Sony STR-DH190.

There have been some really helpful suggestions re Ebay, which I think will be my friend for this. What amp is going to deliver enough power - or are they pulling my leg about all this?

Can I also say thank you to you all. I am a complete newb at this. My father passed away almost two years ago. This is what he had left and I want to get it working as a little tribute to him. I didn’t expect people to be so helpful, and it really is appreciated. Thank you to you all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 11

Jimboh

Jul 27, 2021
Visit site
Hmm, Richer Sounds pushing their own products over cheaper alternatives :)

Seems so 🤔. They were originally fine with the cheaper amp, and I asked questions about speaker cables and it escalated. If I was spending a grand (which I’m not) I would be going for Naim in any case.

Thinking of Acram Alpha 6 integrated amp - although I have seen a used Naim Nait 3 which is tempting me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts