What accessories have you bought that you believe have really improved the sound of your system?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

My most impressive tweak was by chance. The Auralex Gramma platform (less than £40) is really for guitar amps (I am a guitarist) and prevents them from interacting with the floor e.g. a wooden stage.

I tried one under my sub-woofer (REL Strata II). WoW! Bass went further down, far less boom and bass notes were distinguishable as notes and music!!

For example, I watched the Matrix 2 chase on the Freeway and suddenly heard an electronic bass playing away quielty below the dialogue.

This stand is made using high density foam and carpeted MDF. I did not realise how much my room was contributing and muddying the sound of my system.

I have a huge number of other tweaks - expensive cabling/mains/cones/spikes/chopping boards/squash balls/shorties/fuses/acrylic supports etc. but this is number one by a mile.

You can buy them here in the UK (US company). They make a SubDude version (more for subwoofers) and they are very effective for anyone who has a wooden/ suspended floor and for appeasing the neighbours!!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Granite chpping board from tesco (under cd player on glass hifi rack).

Wooden Chopping board (butcher block, 7 inches thick) for amps/cd player case that ring like Musical Fidelity A308, A5 etc...

Spirit level

Warm olive oil to clean my ears!

A

Anonymous

No question here for me. The matching speakers stands from B&W for my 805s speakers. I was surprised by the difference they made.

A

Anonymous

Belkin Surgemaster 2.5m version - £25 (Gave massive improvements to the sound and reduced noise floor.)

Atlas Equator Mk.II instead of QED Qunex I - £60 (Clarity of sound improved, better soundstage, more detail, less harshness.)

Cork based coffee coasters for under CD player to give more ventilation to amplifier and level player and reduce vibrations - £4 for six.

Bluetack - 49p

Spirit Level (I'm with Mr.TM on this one!) - £2.99

Ortofon 2M Red (improved vinyl no end) - £60

Hughes Modified power lead on my JVC A-X5 (Best stuff I could buy at Maplin gave major improvements to sound) - £25/m + £27 for connectors.

Rewiring the whole house with QED Performance Coaxial cable from three huge aerials in the loft - £119 (Improved my FM performance and improved the reception of four TVs in the house.)

Watercooling system on my PC to keep it quiet - £79.

Installing a fan onto the heatsink of my JVC - £10 + £5 for high quality cable to transformer. (Cooled down the amp significantly and means I can run it flat out without worrying.)

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
shreddy:
My most impressive tweak was by chance. The Auralex Gramma platform (less than £40) is really for guitar amps (I am a guitarist) and prevents them from interacting with the floor e.g. a wooden stage.

I tried one under my sub-woofer (REL Strata II). WoW! Bass went further down, far less boom and bass notes were distinguishable as notes and music!!

For example, I watched the Matrix 2 chase on the Freeway and suddenly heard an electronic bass playing away quielty below the dialogue.

This stand is made using high density foam and carpeted MDF. I did not realise how much my room was contributing and muddying the sound of my system.

I have a huge number of other tweaks - expensive cabling/mains/cones/spikes/chopping boards/squash balls/shorties/fuses/acrylic supports etc. but this is number one by a mile.

You can buy them here in the UK (US company). They make a SubDude version (more for subwoofers) and they are very effective for anyone who has a wooden/ suspended floor and for appeasing the neighbours!!

cheers for that - i was after some wedges for my speakers which sit on top of my kitchen cupboards to angle my speakers down and seems Auralex do the perfect solution

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts