What 46 inch TV has the best picture

Mickgw

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question nothing too technical, what is the best 46" TV for picture perfomance, have a large collection of blu rays and enjoy watching HD sport, and what blu ray player should i pair it with for optimum performance.

Thanks,

Mike

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
As luck would have it, we have a Supertest of the latest 46-47in TVs in the August issue of the magazine, on sale June 29th. All will be revealed then ;)

Mickgw

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Thanks everyone,

My budget would probably be no more than £2K, obviously dont really want to spend that, i currently have a Sony KDL40W4500 and Panasonic DMPBD55 blu ray player, must be coming up to 4 years now but the picture is still fantastic, so i really want to see a difference paying that sort of money.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Got to agree with bigboss re the two Panasonic options but i only suggested the tvs that i did originally due to the screen size you wanted but if you were to look at a 50 inch tv then the VT50 is simply stunning and is where my money would go without hesitation, it's probably the best tv you could buy at the moment.

Mickgw

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Cheers guys, will there be a massive difference from the TV i have?

In terms of the Kuro i know this gets discussed a lot but is the Pana the nearest?

A

Anonymous

I have the samsung ue55es8000 and have to say that even after a month of owning it I'm still amazed by the picture quality. So on that basis I'd have to say you should seriously looks at the 46es8000, however you also mention your budget can stretch to 2 grand and if that'd the case why don't you just get the 55es8000? Prices have dropped recently and I got mine from John Lewis on their price match scheme for £1985, they also give you a 5 year extended warranty and currently if you buy a samsung tv you get a free galaxy pad!! It's a great deal.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi Mickgw I have just bought the panasonic vt 50 all I can say is wow fantastic picture and internet also sound quality is very good so you don't need av amp on all of the time

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Oldboy said:
Andy Clough said:
As luck would have it, we have a Supertest of the latest 46-47in TVs in the August issue of the magazine, on sale June 29th. All will be revealed then ;)

Any chance you could reveal the contenders Andy??

Certainly can: LG 47LM860V, LG 47LM960V, Panasonic TX-L47ET50, Panasonic TX-L47WT50, Samsung UE46ES6800, Sony KDL-46HX753, Sony KDL-46HX853.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
Oldboy said:
Andy Clough said:

Any chance you could reveal the contenders Andy??

Certainly can: LG 47LM860V, LG 47LM960V, Panasonic TX-L47ET50, Panasonic TX-L47WT50, Samsung UE46ES6800, Sony KDL-46HX753, Sony KDL-46HX853.

Many thanks Andy, i'm looking forward to the results in the next issue.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Yup, it's a good one
smiley-wink.gif

A

Anonymous

I'm surprised the 46es8000 didn't make it not this considering the rave review you gave it Andy

grifz

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
As far as picture performance goes Philips are still the best eye candy IMO. I like a vibrant picture with plenty of detail and Philips are my preferred and easly best tv for picture performance

A

Anonymous

Have you considered 3D? I have a LG 3D tv set and just watched the Euro football match in 3D. The quality is amazing. If you're interested, you should look into it. Way better than what people give credit for.

A

Anonymous

LG 47LM960V is a great choice. It uses Nano full led to make the black level can be dimmed deeply. Motion is handled radically well by this TV. The fast panel and good motion processing feature is the key. I def recommend this Tv.

A

Anonymous

I have a LG LM860V and I would def recommend it or the LM960V. I don’t know much about it besides that it is superior to mine. Awesome design, awesome picture quality, awesome feature are all that I know. I can’t get into technical words like other. Just buy it, it is great.

A

Anonymous

I heard a lot of great reviews on the LG LM960V. Other TVs like Samsung ES8000 are also a great brand but I really am not comfortable with active glasses.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Mickgw said:
My budget would probably be no more than £2K, obviously dont really want to spend that, i currently have a Sony KDL40W4500 and Panasonic DMPBD55 blu ray player, must be coming up to 4 years now but the picture is still fantastic, so i really want to see a difference paying that sort of money.

bigboss said:
What about a 50-inch TV? Look at the Panasonic GT50 & VT50. If it was my money, I would choose between the 2 Panasonics, & Sony HX853.

Most TVs in the market can be bought for your budget.

Oldboy said:
Got to agree with bigboss re the two Panasonic options but i only suggested the tvs that i did originally due to the screen size you wanted but if you were to look at a 50 inch tv then the VT50 is simply stunning and is where my money would go without hesitation, it's probably the best tv you could buy at the moment.

uberfrag said:
I have the samsung ue55es8000 and have to say that even after a month of owning it I'm still amazed by the picture quality. So on that basis I'd have to say you should seriously looks at the 46es8000, however you also mention your budget can stretch to 2 grand and if that'd the case why don't you just get the 55es8000? Prices have dropped recently and I got mine from John Lewis on their price match scheme for £1985, they also give you a 5 year extended warranty and currently if you buy a samsung tv you get a free galaxy pad!! It's a great deal.

It's now almost a month since you started this thread, so you may have bought a TV by now. If not, I concur with the various choices (Panasonic, Sony, Samsung) of those whom I have quoted. Getting a 46" or 47" TV is definitely NOT ENOUGH of an increase over your existing 40" Sony. Go for the biggest one that you can within your budget.

Mickgw

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
:wall:
Son_of_SJ said:
Mickgw said:

bigboss said:
What about a 50-inch TV? Look at the Panasonic GT50 & VT50. If it was my money, I would choose between the 2 Panasonics, & Sony HX853.

Most TVs in the market can be bought for your budget.

Oldboy said:

uberfrag said:

It's now almost a month since you started this thread, so you may have bought a TV by now. If not, I concur with the various choices (Panasonic, Sony, Samsung) of those whom I have quoted. Getting a 46" or 47" TV is definitely NOT ENOUGH of an increase over your existing 40" Sony. Go for the biggest one that you can within your budget.

I think ive decided on the Panasonic VT50, although the price tag is putting me off, might wait a few months and see if the price drop, the whathifi review says lower priced rivals run it close, what would anyone choose instead of the VT50, bearing in mind im mainly interested in the best picture possible.

Thanks for everyones help

Mike

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
The review on the VT50 actually says that its lower price sibling - the GT50 - runs it close, not any of its rivals.

Obviously no one can foresee when - or by how much - a particular model will drop in price, but for example my 42GT30 was a tad under £1,400 when it was launched last year. 12-months later picked up mine up half-price for £700 and couldn't be happier, so really it all comes down to how long you are prepared to hold out for.

TRENDING THREADS