What £2000 speakers should I get?

zipppy8myhamster

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Before I trawl around hifi shops listening to loads of speakers, I'd really appreciate people's opinions on what I should narrow the vast choice down to.

Presently got: Pathos Classic 1 amp, Rega RP6 turntable and Audiolab 2200CD. Presently got Triangle Altea ES speakers, which have been great fun, but now that I'm nearing 40 I need a more neutral sounding speaker!

The Room size is 3.5 metres by 3 metres. I mainly listen to electronica, indie and rock (in that order).

Really don't want to spend more than £2000 (but am prepared to get second hand/ex demo.). The only speakers I've heard so far are the PMC22 which I liked (but sounded a bit dull to me). Other ones I've got my eye on are the Spendor A6r, ATC SCM40, procac d18 and B&W pm1.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Classic One and a RP6, what phono are you using?

Your room is 10,5 m2 (sm) i think the SCM40 is a bit too much, all other are very fine speakers.

Consider Dynaudio Focus 160 or if must be floorstand demo Excite X34.

Kef R500 for £ 1500 must work fine with the Pathos.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking about the proposed speakers and your room size, do you have accoustic treatment? If not speakers positioning and size should be a priority.

Maybe monitors instead of floorstanding should be considered, and some other members have gave you nice pointers on the subject.

A year ago I didn't had the Pathos, but glad to be helpfull!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
CnoEvil said:
Proac D18

Kef R500

Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

Vienna Acoustic Bach Grand

Tannoy Precision 6.2

Taga Harmony Platinum F100 SE

His room size is 3.5 x 3m

Kef LS50 would make a lot of sense then.

Others to try:

- Vienna Acoustics Hayden Grand

- Spendor D1

- Proac Response D2

- GamuT Phi 3

- SF Venere 1.5

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Noted you said PMC Twenty 22 sounded dull. As I own them I know they rely on having space to breath, setting quite wide apart and then having me sitting far back from them. They also require careful source matching. In my set up they're far from dull.

I demoed the PM1 at the same time. To me, the PM1 has the better tweeter, the PMC the better mid/bass.

But I also own Monitor Audio GX50. They seem better able to play more dynamically at lower volume, don't need too much room to breath and you can sit a bit closer. I also tried GX100 at the time I chose the GX50 and the GX100 needed more (sound) volume to better the GX50.

The same old ''teaching grandma to suck eggs'' applies; always demo the same sources that you have.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
adamrobertshaw said:
Noted you said PMC Twenty 22 sounded dull.

It's probably due to being compared with Triangle, which are very lively, forward sounding speakers.....which may mean everything sounds dull in comparison.

I'd never have thought of the PMC as dull, so maybe Proac would suit as they are similarly monitor-ish to my lugs. Always worth hearing LS50s as they are giant killers and should do well in a smaller space. Would enable you to splash out of stands too.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:
I'd never have thought of the PMC as dull, so maybe Proac would suit as they are similarly monitor-ish to my lugs. Always worth hearing LS50s as they are giant killers and should do well in a smaller space. Would enable you to splash out of stands too.

And cables if needed...

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi zipppy8myhamster,

1. You have a 3 x 3.5 m listening room

2. You don't want to sit with your head against the backwall, unless you have a very efficient bass panel between both (and even then...)

So 3 = you need to position the speakers close to your front wall. Most speakers don't like that, and you can hear it!

IMO you can solve the problem using some DSP-based room treatment, like AntiMode, RoomPerfect, DEQX, ... If you are broadminded about hifi, that is...

Or you can use speakers that work well with the front wall, or ones that don't mind the boundaries. An example of the former is the Guru QM10two; it's designed for placement against the front wall, and uses the wall to augment the bass (which is surprisingly deep for a speaker this small).

As for the latter, I'm thinking of omnidirectional speakers. In your case the Davone Mojo comes to mind. It uses a downward firing woofer for < 200 Hz and an upward firing driver (> 200 Hz), with an acoustic lens that gives a 360° dispersion. The reflected sound is in phase with the direct sound, which is why it doesn't disturb the listener (quite the contrary, in fact). This speaker, as you understand, needs to be sat on a shelf or table of some sort to work properly (or a stand with largish top plate). It gives a very full, spacious sound, quite surprising for their size! Take note: they need a gutsy amp. Which you have.

Both the QM10two and the Mojo come in a little under 2k. The challenge will be in finding a dealer that has them for demo (home demo preferably; that goes without saying).

Rather left field suggestions, I know. But give them a try if ever possible!

More conventional option would be a sealed speaker, like the Neat Iota or the new curved ATCs. No idea how these work with the Pathos. If you try them, let us know your thoughts.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:

The new ATC SCM7 or 9, as they are closed boxes and are easy to place and the Pathos have enough power for them

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
If you have the opportunity, do try to demo some panel speakers. Magnepan and Martin Logan make speakers that are (just) within your price range. They may be a revelation for you.

Matt

iceman16

Freddy58 said:
A couple of positive comments for the LS50's. Funny thing, I thought they sounded 'boxy', didn't like them.

omg_smile.gif

Hi zippy

In addition to curved SCM7 and curved SCM19 monitors you should also consider SCM11 monitors.

The ATC's with their closed box designs and flat and honest presentation enable them to be placed close to walls and work well in small rooms.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
A couple of positive comments for the LS50's. Funny thing, I thought they sounded 'boxy', didn't like them.

Funny, nor did I.

To Zippy, Harbeth P3ESR or you might find some SHL5's for under 2K, now that the SHL5+ is out now.

Mac

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Freddy58 said:

I think they are marmite speakers. Loads of people love them and loads hate them.

I don't like them either. I think they are very clever but I think they sound artificial. Listen to a recording of a solo piano through them and tell me honestly if you think it sounds like a piano. Didn't when I tried them.

Chris

PS The KEF R700s are lovely but might be too big for your room?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts