What streamer should I get?

zipppy8myhamster

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I'd really appreciate advice on purchasing a streamer.

I have a Pathos Classic 1 amplifier, Audiolab 8200CD, Rega RP6 ( with exact cartridge) and PMC twenty 22 speakers.

I would like a streamer that does justice to my system but certainly not overkill (preferably better than the sound from my Audiolab CD player). Will mainly be used for streaming music from a NAS drive. Don't really want to spend much more than1500.

Many thanks in advance.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
My preference would be for Linn (Sneaky or Majik).....but other choices are available from Naim, Cyrus. Pathos do a nice looking streamer, but it's above your budget.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
We're big fans of the Naim UnitiQute 2 (£1150) which is within your budget:

http://www.whathifi.com/naim/unitiqute-2/review

Or there's the Award-winning Cyrus Stream XA at £1250:

http://www.whathifi.com/cyrus/stream-xa/review

The UnitiQute is OK as an all-in-one system, but I'm not sure it's good enough to be considered purely as a source component for a system of the quality of the OP's. Specifically, I'm not sure it'll meet the brief of needing to sound better than the Audiolab CD player.

Given that I personally can't stand the sound of the Cyrus range, which I find to have a rather 'sudden' and forward presentation, I might suggest the OP has a look at/listen to the excellent Cambridge Audio 851N, which fits the budget and will offer a very superior performance, or perhaps the Marantz NA8005, which is very much in-budget and has an excellent combination of features and audio ability, having much of the technology of the flagship (and much more expensive) NA-11S1.

zipppy8myhamster

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
As always, thank you for all your advice. Much appreciated.

I had considered looking at the Cambridge Audio streamer but can't seem to find any independent reviews on it. Is it really up there with the Linns and Naims? I'll definitely add it to my listen list.

Would rather avoid Cyrus having had a nightmare experience with one of their cd players once and said never again.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
zipppy8myhamster said:
I had considered looking at the Cambridge Audio streamer but can't seem to find any independent reviews on it.

I think a couple of the hi-fi comics have reviewed it – I remember being interested enough by something I read to go and have a brief listen to one in Richer Sounds. I liked what I heard, before deciding the styling didn't match the rest of my system (or rather SWMBO decided it didn't!).

Think the reviews must have been in the magazines only, as I can't see any sign of them online. Have you looked on the Cambridge Audio site? They may be there I guess, or perhaps they may be able to send you copies of the reviews if they have them.

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
HiFi World's verdict was "one of the most natural sounding, versatile and well equipped streamer/DAC/pre-amps available at its price. Sets the standard for rivals".

I recently replaced a Marantz NA7004 with one and it's marginally better in terms of sound but vastly superior in terms of usability, network stability, start-up time and app control. The screen is so good, I often just use the remote rather than the app. I had the cheaper CXN for 5 days before and it was good for the price, but unsurprisingly, not to the 851's standard in terms of sound or network resilience (not terrible but noticeably more drop-outs streaming from the NAS or internet radio).

The only downside is the lack of brand kudos but it matters not a jot to me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts