Wharfedale diamond 220 disapointing

gasolin

So i have had the Wharfedale Diamond 220 with the system in my signature for a few days.

Do i like them? They look good, price okay 159£ (just a bit more then the bostons) and they are loud enough for me (both are loud enough).

Comparing the bostons with wharfedales I feel the wharfedales are more dull in the top, not as clear and open as the boston a25's almost like the wharfedales is holding a bit back in the top,kind of boring top.

Even when they are bigger then the bostons, same sized woofer, go down to 56 hz (boston 55hz) i feel the bostons are more punchy,more bass,deeper bass, i know the wharfedales are not bloted or boomy speakers(as well as the bostons), i just want to turn the bass up,make it louder so i can hear it with the wharfedales (normally i don't use eq/tone controls)

Midrange they are both good mabye the bostons have a bit more open midrange but almost tie here

I'm a bit surprised it's the budget speaker of the year in it's price category last year, i feel the boston's are more open and better bass, not so dull as the wharfedales

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
gasolin said:
So i have had the Wharfedale Diamond 220 with the system in my signature for a few days.

Do i like them? They look good, price okay 159£ (just a bit more then the bostons) and they are loud enough for me (both are loud enough).

Comparing the bostons with wharfedales I feel the wharfedales are more dull in the top, not as clear and open as the boston a25's almost like the wharfedales is holding a bit back in the top,kind of boring top.

Even when they are bigger then the bostons, same sized woofer, go down to 56 hz (boston 55hz) i feel the bostons are more punchy,more bass,deeper bass, i know the wharfedales are not bloted or boomy speakers(as well as the bostons), i just want to turn the bass up,make it louder so i can hear it with the wharfedales (normally i don't use eq/tone controls)

Midrange they are both good mabye the bostons have a bit more open midrange but almost tie here

I'm a bit surprised it's the budget speaker of the year in it's price category last year, i feel the boston's are more open and better bass, not so dull as the wharfedales
can you take them back ? Have you tried the Dali 3s ? As they go well with 6005 setup

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
What was the point of buying those speakers it's a side ways step that offers very little over what you have now.

If you are going to upgrade...... Upgrade.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
Thompsonuxb said:
What was the point of buying those speakers it's a side ways step that offers very little over what you have now.

For once I agree with everything you have said, what is the world coming to? :)
he might be on a tight budget so money might be the issue here . And sorry if that sounded rude I am not trying to be . See if you can take the speakers back if you can . If your happy with your old speakers I respect that . Save your money for a big upgrade when the time right Christmas is coming up .

gasolin

Blacksabbath25 said:
gasolin said:

can you take them back ? Have you tried the Dali 3s ? As they go well with 6005 setup

Yes i can return them with no extra costs (they will pay what it costs to return them)

Have had the dali zensor 1 for about 1½ years (denon amp) but at high levels the top gets to agressive,intrusive and i generally find the top to loud (not a good balance, the bostons are much better), used them with a small subwoofer and that helped a bit with the bright sound and the bass that is not as good as the bostons.

Have also read that the diamonds 9 or 10's are a bassy speakers, when someone have bought new speakers and wrote they where missing a bit bass from there speakers that replaced some older diamond 9/10, so i did get a bit surpised about the lack of bass from the diamonds 220.

To me bass doesn't have to be as loud as cerwin vega floorstands (compared to midrange,treble) or as if i had turned on loudness, just don't like a bass where it sounds like i have forgotten to turn on the subwoofer,have to place them in a corner or play edm (techno) to hear the bass at normal listening levels

gasolin

Thompsonuxb said:

I was interested in trying the wharfedales, sometimes you just have to buy new speakers,amp or something else to finde out if it will sound better then what you already have or to appriciate what you have.

Like blacksabbath25 who bought a marantz sacd8005 to be able to play sa cd's and get better sound, although it had the same internal dac, he could only find out if it will give him better sound by buying one.

No showroom have the same hifi system as you do and at the same time a room with the same acoustics, so in turns of speakers you do have to try them in your home, i just didn't like the wharfedales and desided not to use them the whole 30 days before returning them (have never had speakers that changed sound from dull top and lack of bass to open,clear sound with a tight full bodied bass in a week or two "burn in")

gasolin

Blacksabbath25 said:
Al ears said:
Thompsonuxb said:

he might be on a tight budget so money might be the issue here . And sorry if that sounded rude I am not trying to be . See if you can take the speakers back if you can . If your happy with your old speakers I respect that . Save your money for a big upgrade when the time right Christmas is coming up .

I will definitely look for some good deals on black friday

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
gasolin said:
Thompsonuxb said:

?

I was interested in trying the wharfedales, sometimes you just have to buy new speakers,amp or something else to finde out if it will sound better then what you already have or to appriciate what you have.

?

Like blacksabbath25 who bought a marantz sacd8005 to be able to play sa cd's and get better sound, although it had the same internal dac, he could only find out if it will give him better sound by buying one.

No showroom have the same hifi system as you do and at the same time a room with the same acoustics, so in turns of speakers you do have to try them in your home, i just didn't like the wharfedales and desided not to use them the whole 30 days before returning them (have never had speakers that changed sound from dull top and lack of bass to open,clear sound  with a tight full bodied bass in a week or two "burn in") 

People are only trying to help you save your money on a pointless sideways move that wont bring any sq improvements.

People spend small fortunes making loads of small changes and if you add it all up iver the years you could have ended up with a high end system

Im not saying that is what you are doing but just what people are trying to warn you from.

gasolin

Andrewjvt said:
gasolin said:
Thompsonuxb said:

No showroom have the same hifi system as you do and at the same time a room with the same acoustics, so in turns of speakers you do have to try them in your home, i just didn't like the wharfedales and desided not to use them the whole 30 days before returning them (have never had speakers that changed sound from dull top and lack of bass to open,clear sound with a tight full bodied bass in a week or two "burn in")

People are only trying to help you save your money on a pointless sideways move that wont bring any sq improvements.

People spend small fortunes making loads of small changes and if you add it all up iver the years you could have ended up with a high end system

Im not saying that is what you are doing but just what people are trying to warn you from.

Always a good thing i buy from a place where i can return what i have bought (even sending it back is free) as long as it's in mint condition, then i'm free to test it to see (hear) if it lives up to my expectation, what i prefere and if it's better then what i have.

I would look for a better interconnect for my new cd player (marantz CD5005) on black friday, it's a fine cd player that will let me play my old cd's with no noise (my rotel cd player is old and used so it noticeable it's 20+ years old,but sounds okay) and sounds good,surprised that it for the money (149£) sounds so good,i just can't say anything negative about it, except it's much lighter then my old cd player, it does have the feature that you can use a better power mains if you want to (which i do use, clearer audio alpha one i have had for about 2 years).

Don't know where the limited is for my system where better sound requires better amp, i'm thinking when better speakers won't give as much improvement as keeping the speakers and buying let's say the Marantz PM8005 (which everybody say sounds alot better then the PM6005)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
gasolin said:
Andrewjvt said:
gasolin said:
Thompsonuxb said:

?

?

No showroom have the same hifi system as you do and at the same time a room with the same acoustics, so in turns of speakers you do have to try them in your home, i just didn't like the wharfedales and desided not to use them the whole 30 days before returning them (have never had speakers that changed sound from dull top and lack of bass to open,clear sound  with a tight full bodied bass in a week or two "burn in")?

?

Always a good thing i buy from a place where i can return what i have bought (even sending it back is free) as long as it's in mint condition, then i'm free to test it to see (hear) if it lives up to my expectation, what i prefere and if it's better then what i have.

?

I would look for a better interconnect for my new cd player (marantz CD5005) on black friday, it's a fine cd player that will let me play my old cd's with no noise (my rotel cd player is old and used so it noticeable it's 20+ years old,but sounds okay) and sounds good,surprised that it for the money (149£) sounds so good,i just can't say anything negative about it, except it's much lighter then my old cd player, it does have the feature that you can use a better power mains  if you want to (which i do use, clearer audio alpha one i have had for about 2 years).

?

Don't know where the limited is for my system where better sound requires better amp, i'm thinking when better speakers won't give as much improvement as keeping the speakers and buying let's say the Marantz PM8005 (which everybody say sounds alot better then the PM6005)

Now that would be a good upgrade as everyone on here that has one raves about the performance/price ratio, has a very good power supply to play quality speakers. Id say for that money for me would be between abrahamsen and the marantz then look for a very good speaker to go with it. Then after that relax and buy music or discuss cavemen

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Thompsonuxb said:

+1

did it at least fix the bright top end on some recordings?

surely someone said that trying to tame the top end on some poorly recorded tracks risked making everything else sound lumpy and dull.

But you'll deserve everything you get if you waste your time and money trying to fix your issues with sideways steps in your kit and cables.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Or not,

Swap one mediocre budget speaker for another mediocre budget speaker.

Since it does not bring the expected improvement, change the cables.

*unknw*

matthewpiano

Gasolin, you now have a well balanced budget system. I would suggest spending some time really getting to know it, enjoying your music. Only then will you really be in the right place to work out your next move.

One thing to bear in mind is that no system can make every recording sound great. Unless you want to put the sound quality before the music (not what I would do, but some do take this approach), you sometimes have to accept that you will have to make do with less than pristine sound on certain recordings.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
Or not,

*unknw*

but, but it's an award winning five star product, how can it be mediocre?

Dont tell me you evaluate products against products outside of the same price bracket?!?

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure neither speaker is mediocre, inexpensive yes but that doesn't always = poor. Also, sometimes a sideways step even on the budget side can be a better match to existing kit and be a huge improvement. My recent experience in replacing my Dali Zensor 3's with Concept 20's (both brilliant speakers with the right amp) proves this (at least to me). Paired with my new Nad D3020 the Dali's were dull and lifeless especailly at low volumes, the similarly priced 'budget' Concepts are a revelation and are perfect with the Nad. Sideways can be great.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Gasolin, you now have a well balanced budget system. I would suggest spending some time really getting to know it, enjoying your music. Only then will you really be in the right place to work out your next move.

One thing to bear in mind is that no system can make every recording sound great. Unless you want to put the sound quality before the music (not what I would do, but some do take this approach), you sometimes have to accept that you will have to make do with less than pristine sound on certain recordings.
very true about no system can make every recording sound great not even for me or most people on here . the best thing i can say is stick with what your got an till you have saved money for a good upgrade to make it worth your time and money take this new speakers back to the shop please do not rush take your time in getting things right as money is so hard to come by trust me i have been there myself

gasolin

ID. said:
Al ears said:
Thompsonuxb said:

+1

did it at least fix the bright top end on some recordings?

surely someone said that trying to tame the top end on some poorly recorded tracks risked making everything else sound lumpy and dull.

But you'll deserve everything you get if you waste your time and money trying to fix your issues with sideways steps in your kit and cables.

Yes it did to some extent, just felt the wharfedales sounded dull,closed in, it wasn't as open,clear as the bostons, they needed some liviliness,sparkle or else it sounded a bit borring, a more fresh sound from the wharfedales, like coca cola,pepsi you have had open for some hours and now thers isn't no sparkle anymore (carbon dioxide), it may tast like cola/pepsi it just don't feel right when thers no carbnon dioxide (sparkle)

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I've just replaced my speakers kef q100's from wharfedale diamonds 9.1's. The difference is surprising and maybe I was lucky but some have tighter budgets they have to live with in.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I agree with mathewpiano and others who suggest you live with your system for a while and get to know it. Then, once you have a better idea of exactly what you want to achieve, save up for s significant upgrade and be sure to audition thoroughly.

As for mediocre, knowing the little i do of davedotco, he was judging budget speakers as a while against his experiences of a wide range of very good (and very expensive) speakers. Sure, budget speakers may be good for the price, but they will always have many compromises so you would basically be trading one compromise for another. I know, nobody likes being told that their entry level kit that they lovingly chose and enjoy is mediocre, and I sometimes see the same kind of people expressing an opinion that betrays a lack of experience of better kit or lack of imagination that anything could improve on their much loved budget kit, but really, compared to what's out there it could be classed as mediocre, or at least the easier to digest, good, for the price. Which is, by the way, how WHF reviews - based on how good it is against competitors in the same price bracket.

You are comparing the speakers against even worse speakers so of course you won't think they are mediocre.

Oh, and enough about the constant cable comments as if some budget cables have lifted your kit to a whole new level.

gasolin

davedotco said:
Or not,

*unknw*

Have you heard one of the speakers or both?

Max it out to more or less to it's maximum "budget" potential with good cable,interconnect,power mains,speaker cable,stands,good budget amp/cdplayer,don't know what's budget about an amp that normally costs 445£ although i got it for 249£ ,budget i amp i would say below 200£, for the money 145£ i feel the cdpalyer is amazing,silent fast load,play and doesn't sound cheap, and finally a good dac, so you can't compare the boston speakers to an all in one system with standard cable and call them mediocre

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
davedotco said:
Or not,

*unknw*

Max it out to more or less to it's maximum "budget" potential with good cable,interconnect,power mains,speaker cable,stands,good budget amp/cdplayer,don't know what's budget about an amp that normally costs 445£ although i got it for 249£ ,budget i amp i would say below 200£, for the money 145£ i feel the cdpalyer is amazing,silent fast load,play and doesn't sound cheap, and finally a good dac, so you can't compare the boston speakers to an all in one system with standard cable and call them mediocre

I am familiar with the Wharfedales, mediocre is being kind.

But the point is the swapping of two price compatable budget speakers in an ordinary budget systemis not going to make a huge difference. Sure the presentation will change but an increase in qualty of performance, not really.

Would do better to change the amp.

gasolin

davedotco said:
gasolin said:
davedotco said:
Or not,

*unknw*

I am familiar with the Wharfedales, mediocre is being kind.

But the point is the swapping of two price compatable budget speakers in an ordinary budget systemis not going to make a huge difference. Sure the presentation will change but an increase in qualty of performance, not really.

Would do better to change the amp.

well okay i did find the to a bit boring and a lack bass so yes ther are mediocre (a bit strange compared to bostons i wouldn't have though what i have was in some area better,bass,more clear,open sound,don't think it's lack of burn in from the wharfedales as wella s using the grills,covers)

I will keep that in mind, it's better to change amp then speakers if deside i want better sound

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ID. said:
I agree with mathewpiano and others who suggest you live with your system for a while and get to know it. Then, once you have a better idea of exactly what you want to achieve, save up for s significant upgrade and be sure to audition thoroughly.

As for mediocre, knowing the little i do of davedotco, he was judging budget speakers as a while against his experiences of a wide range of very good (and very expensive) speakers. Sure, budget speakers may be good for the price, but they will always have many compromises so you would basically be trading one compromise for another. I know, nobody likes being told that their entry level kit that they lovingly chose and enjoy is mediocre, and I sometimes see the same kind of people expressing an opinion that betrays a lack of experience of better kit or lack of imagination that anything could improve on their much loved budget kit, but really, compared to what's out there it could be classed as mediocre, or at least the easier to digest, good, for the price. Which is, by the way, how WHF reviews - based on how good it is against competitors in the same price bracket.

You are comparing the speakers against even worse speakers so of course you won't think they are mediocre.

Oh, and enough about the constant cable comments as if some budget cables have lifted your kit to a whole new level.

As you well know, most budget kit is really not very good. It may be hyped for commercial reasons but it is all part of the 'race to the bottom' that is so self evident in hi-fi, particularly in the british market.

Here the focus is on brand names and 'reputation', most of the manufacturing cost of budget gear is fancy casework, 'bling' if you like, and the retail pricing is mostly marketing costs. Like cheap wine, the actual cost of the things that really matter are just pennies.

Sure I might use more expensive products as a reference but when you look at what can be done for a few hundred pounds if you 'think outside the box' it shows what a waste of money most budget equipment actually is, performance wise anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts