Wharfedale 9.1 Quick question for any owners.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Thinking of getting a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 but won't be able to see them before purchasing. If anyone has a pair would they be kind enough to measure the depth of one for me. They are quoted as 278 mm deep. Does that include the grill? What about the connection posts on the back? Looking at a picture I found on the Superfi web site it looks as though they protrude out the back. I need to know how much depth these speakers need with cables connected. With or without banana plugs (assuming wire can be connected directly to the posts) as I have limited space. Thank you.

matthewpiano

Just measured mine and as long as you use bare wire around the binding posts (instead of banana plugs plugged into the top of the posts) 300mm is a comfortable measurement, although even with the front porting I'm not sure I'd want to put the 9.1s straight up against the back wall.

A

Anonymous

Thanks matthewpiano. Just to confirm, 300mm comfortably covers from the rear of the posts to the front of the grills? How much space do you think they need behind them? I've seen reviews that say they are not fussy about position but do sound better with some air around them.

matthewpiano

Yes. In terms of space from the back wall it depends how you plan to mount them and on the acoustics of your room. I would want at least a good 20cm from the back wall personally but then I find this with every speaker apart from the Dali Ikon 1s which NEED drastic wall reinforcement. The 9.1s are more flexible than a rear-ported design would be and are quite naturally voiced so I'm sure you will be able to achieve a good sound from them by experimenting a little.

A

Anonymous

Stand mounted in a 3.4m x 4.2m carpeted room with quite a lot of other furniture. Don't think I'll be able to give them 20cm from the back wall, maybe half that. Based on the reviews, comments I've read and their current price I'm definitely tempted to give them a try.

A

Anonymous

I have mine at about 10cm from back and side and I think they sound great.

A

Anonymous

I personally find they need a bit of space around them and they sound especially bad in a corner where the bass becomes quite congested. I'd say 10cm is a little close but you might get away with it if there is plenty of free space on either side.

A

Anonymous

Thanks all for the replies. I decided to go for it and got a pair delivered today. Initial reaction is that they sound great hooked up to my Denon mini system. Much better quality bass than the Kef Q10s they are replacing. Vocals are excellent. I managed to give them about 15cm from the rear wall and well away from side walls and am not noticing any problems with excess or congested bass.

Next question. I haven't bi-wired them yet. Need some more cable. Has anyone got theirs bi-wired and did it make a difference?

matthewpiano

Mine are currently off-duty, but I have used them both single-wired and bi-wired. The detail levels do seem to benefit from bi-wiring on the 9.1s and the sound takes on an additional level of composure.

A

Anonymous

So what's the current deal with your system matthewpiano? I thought you'd found hi-fi nirvana with the NAD / Wharfdale combo?

matthewpiano

Stereolad:So what's the current deal with your system matthewpiano? I thought you'd found hi-fi nirvana with the NAD / Wharfdale combo?

I would say 'watch this space'! I sat down and started to question why I get carried away with systems for an initial period and then get fed up of them and I came to the conclusion that I was tending to go for stuff that was initially impressive but not necessarily completely convincing over long listening sessions and over a long period of time.

Plans are afoot and I'm pretty sure what is going to be sitting in my lounge, but I'll reveal all when I finally make the move!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts