wav files from phone/Ipod via usb to DAC - views, opinions, comments please??

A

Anonymous

Octopo and the Cambridge Audio CEO both recommend S/PDIF (coax and optical) over USB. Over short runs it is probably not a huge difference. Hard to see how you'd get anything else than USB from a phone though.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
zzgavin:Octopo and the Cambridge Audio CEO both recommend S/PDIF (coax and optical) over USB. Over short runs it is probably not a huge difference. Hard to see how you'd get anything else than USB from a phone though.

You're right, no choice other than usb for the phone but lossless to the dac should sound better than straight to the amp which is the only alternative. I was wondering how others find the sound.

A

Anonymous

I doubt you will get an audio stream digital or otherwise from the mobile phone.

Most mp3 players have USB slots, but that does not mean a digital output for music playback, only for getting data off and on.ÿ

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
pudley:
I doubt you will get an audio stream digital or otherwise from the mobile phone.

Most mp3 players have USB slots, but that does not mean a digital output for music playback, only for getting data off and on.ÿ

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Currently I can run my phone to my amp with the cable that came with the phone - rca one end and the phone adapter the other. Are you saying that it won't play music through the usb cable? If it doesn't - I will have to buy an ipod which I will probably make more sense anyway.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:pudley:

Most mp3 players have USB slots, but that does not mean a digital output for music playback, only for getting data off and on.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Currently I can run my phone to my amp with the cable that came with the phone - rca one end and the phone adapter the other. Are you saying that it won't play music through the usb cable? If it doesn't - I will have to buy an ipod which I will probably make more sense anyway.

AFAIK there are no mp3 players that will play from their USB slot. The iPod would require you also bought a Wadia transport.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Can't speak for your phone, but I'd be surprised if you can get a digital audio out from the ipod either. This is for the DACMagic yeah?

Indeed. Oh well. How do you connect an ipod to the DACMagic then?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Or airport express, which is what I'm going to do - is a pain remote-controlling it, but will probably go down the iPod Touch route.......
I have to say, since getting the Remote software installed on my Touch, I do use this feature quite a lot now. Not to mention numerous other applications I use on it like Golf Tracker to keep a track of my golf score improvement, Live Trains, DVDDash, plus numerous games.

John Duncan

Yeah I tried....um......(has to look).......Salling Clicker which works fine provided I stand in the hall........does Remote work over the network or is it bluetooth as well (which I presume is the problem I'm having with Clicker)?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Yeah I tried....um......(has to look).......Salling Clicker which works fine provided I stand in the hall........does Remote work over the network or is it bluetooth as well (which I presume is the problem I'm having with Clicker)?

I just called RS and will be popping down to the local branch at lunchtime to place my order!! I could have one tomorrow but def by Friday!!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Yeah I tried....um......(has to look).......Salling Clicker which works fine provided I stand in the hall........does Remote work over the network or is it bluetooth as well (which I presume is the problem I'm having with Clicker)?
Remote works through the wireless connection created by the Airport.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site

Clicker does work over wifi, but you have to have a wifi-enabled phone (obviously) - mine works well on a Nokia E65...

A

Anonymous

double ooooo, though I'm half the week at Excel in the wilder part of London.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
zzgavin:double ooooo, though I'm half the week at Excel in the wilder part of London.

Paid and it is being shipping in "special for me" from Manchester and delivered to my office! Have now sourced a Linksys Media Centre extender for £145. Coaxial to DAC straight from my pc and I will be able to choose albums and songs etc on my LCD with remote!!!! How good will that be?

John Duncan

Though I'd have got an Apple TV obviously
emotion-2.gif

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
This is what baffles me n all - all these DACs - Beresford, CA, Chordette - and what do you plug into em?? I've yet to see a laptop or PC with an optical/SPDIF out as standard and no MP3 players etc. have digital outs (Wadia excepted). There seems to be only the PS3 that can rip CDs then be used as a music server via a DAC through its optical out...obviously the Sonos etc, have this but they all require your PC on all the time...

It's enough to make me want to re-purchase my minidisc player and stick to swopping discs!!!

A

Anonymous

Apple Macs for the past 3/4 years have had digital optical out, I think all the intel based ones have had and my old Powerbook G4 does. CD players often have a coax digital out, tvs too

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS