Watermark Distortion

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Especially on vocals top end and in highs I think I'm hearing it and it is annoying. At first I had no idea what it was, I thought it's some streaming issue with Tidal and distortion. I googled up this thread and they pin this to watermark distortion.

Anyone else experiencing it? *unknw*

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
This topic was raised in a previous thread a couple of years ago, along with the listening test you linked to. Through headphones (less so through speakers) I could identify the watermarked audio with 100% accuracy. That's my bad luck more than a boast, because audible DRM is unlikely to go away, but it's one reason why I remain committed to CDs and vinyl (which don't have audible DRM). It wouldn't be quite so bad if the DRM was only embedded into live streams (Spotify/Tidal/Apple Music and so on), but it's embedded into purchased downloads of the same music as well, lossless or otherwise, which for me is unacceptable.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I hear it both on my cans and desktop speakers if I set my mind to it. I guess it's just best to try not pay attention to it.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Funnily enough the original thread from a couple of years ago withered away without creating much of a storm, but for me audible watermarks are a major showstopper which disuade me from 'progressing' to downloads. When I purchase a piece of music, via download or otherwise, I don't want it to have been messed about with like that, particularly when the embedded artifacts can be so easily heard (especially in classical music). I'd begrudgingly tolerate them in music streamed from a subscription service.

MajorFubar said:
Funnily enough the original thread from a couple of years ago withered away without creating much of a storm, but for me audible watermarks are a major showstopper which disuade me from 'progressing' to downloads. When I purchase a piece of music, via download or otherwise, I don't want it to have been messed about with like that, particularly when the embedded artifacts can be so easily heard (especially in classical music). I'd begrudgingly tolerate them in music streamed from a subscription service.

I'm with you there Major. If I've purchased it I would like an unadulterated version.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I'm not hearing it on my CDs. So this is only for online media (youtube, streaming, itunes...)?

Yes that's correct. It's embedded into the digital files before being distributed to streaming and download services, but it's not on the CDs or records. Not all labels and record companies do it of course, but I don't want it there at all.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Not seen that test before. I could tell all the classical ones but few of the "pop" ones. Perhaps you could put that down to familiarity with the music. But I agree with the premise - I don't want anything added.

Chris

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
It's all about the money for the grasping record company execs and sound quality can lie in the gutter for all they care.

Truly the wrong people are in charge of this industry. You'd expect musicians who dedicate their life to their art would have something to say about it the final quality of it sold to their fans. If they stood together with the fans and opposed the record companies, who in that scenario has all the power?

DCC

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
[/quote]

Yes that's correct. It's embedded into the digital files before being distributed to streaming and download services, but it's not on the CDs or records. Not all labels and record companies do it of course, but I don't want it there at all.

[/quote]

Don't know if it was intended but even with the qualifier ending this reads as condemnation of downloading. Has anyone experienced this with files sourced from (for example) Pono or HDTracks? Or any well know hifi file retailer?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts