Watching BBC I-player overseas

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi - apologies if this is in the wrong forum, but I have a question regarding watching i-player overseas. Basically a friend of mine has gone to live overseas for a few months and is distraught at the prospect of missing Strictly Come Dancing! She's tried to log in to i-player but it tells her she can't as she's not in the UK - is there a way to get round this?

Many thanks in advance for any advice

A

Anonymous

My understanding is that I-Player is configured to only allow UK based IP addresses to access the service. BBC programmes are only cleared (and therefore available) for the UK. Other broadcasters may well have paid to screen a particular show in their territory and I-Player being available world-wide would breach those agreements. In addition, agreements with the talent unions will restrict viewer access to the UK.
You'll have to tape it for her and send it off.... or there's U-tube, if she's quick.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Can somebody explain this to me? Does it mean if I plug this into the back of my telly I can watch it on a PC anywhere in the house (or anywhere there is an internet connection)?

Yep. Slingbox rocks.

You can even change channels via an on-screen replica of your remote control. Warning, however: this can freak out people also watching said system in the main room.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Can somebody explain this to me? Does it mean if I plug this into the back of my telly I can watch it on a PC anywhere in the house (or anywhere there is an internet connection)?

Exactly. This did the same thing, but I think it's discontinued now.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site

Yes but you have to connect it to your router as well as the TV .

John Duncan

Ravey Gravey Davy:

Which is sitting on top of my Virgin STB
emotion-2.gif

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Ravey Gravey Davy:

emotion-2.gif

I am jealous.
emotion-9.gif
Mine is in the diametrically opposite corner of the house with a tiled/concrete floor.Hardwiring it to the front room is "on the list" to do which will probably be catalysed by the arrival of the Humax Freesat PVR if it is any good.

John Duncan

Ravey Gravey Davy:JohnDuncan:Ravey Gravey Davy:

emotion-2.gif

I am jealous.
emotion-9.gif
Mine is in the diametrically opposite corner of the house with a tiled/concrete floor.Hardwiring it to the front room is "on the list" to do which will probably be catalysed by the arrival of the Humax Freesat PVR if it is any good.

Couldn't you just connect it to a wireless access point of some sort? Like an airport express even? Or does it need to be connected to the router directly (can;t see why that would be case)?

Christmas is so sorted btw.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Ravey Gravey Davy:JohnDuncan:Ravey Gravey Davy:

emotion-2.gif

I am jealous.
emotion-9.gif

Couldn't you just connect it to a wireless access point of some sort? Like an airport express even? Or does it need to be connected to the router directly (can;t see why that would be case)? Christmas is so sorted btw.

Sorry John,I posted a quick reply to this but it seems to have disappeared or not got posted.House is very wifi unfriendly.Damned Victorians thought of everything but wire free accessabilty.There are so many wireless gadgets of the kids hogging the wireless network I am going to hardwire the front room so the parents come first on the good signal list,be it blu ray ,laptop or whatever.I am going to have to drag it all out of the corner to get the freesat cable in so it should not be an issue to do that at the same time.

Xmas is also sorted or so the wife tells me.Apart from 14 for lunch on the 25th.-which is my problem- stuff the presents (rather than the turkey)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts