Warm sounding amp required..

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I'm looking for a new amp around £1,000-£1,200. I like a warmer sound for listening to classical music as it can often sound astringent. Currently have a Roksan Caspian MK1.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
If your local dealer stocks them, have a listen to a Sonneteer Alabaster - not sure I'd describe it as 'warm' but it's most certainly not 'astringent'... lovely amp (if I do say so myself)

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
cse said:
Do you have any experiences of these amps, Bodfish? Any idea of the prices?

I haven't heard the Sugden - but have heard alot of good things about it.

My local dealer stocks Puresound and I've heard it a couple of times while I've been in the store - he rates it very highly indeed.

Prices for the Sugden was around £1200 IIRC and the Puresound was similar but what with VAT rises recently they may be higher now. Their A10 model clocks in at about half the cost.

A

Anonymous

I bought the Arcam A38 a couple of years ago for this particular reason, for my ears the A38 is a neutral/ Warm amplifier.

before closing the deal I auditioned what was available from Cyrus, Roksan and other brands in the 1500£ price range.

Cyrus were a bit agressive and bright for my taste , knowing that I've tried both amplifiers with speakers from Monitor Audio, PMC, B&W & ProAc and Anthony Gallo .

I also believe that A38 has a very nice soundstage and deals well with transients frequently present in classical recordings. Based on my recollection no other amplifier managed to isolate and reproduce vocals the way A38 did.

i have no doubt that Cyrus amps were a bit more revealing and had a stronger punsh "attack" as some people would say.

If you are into Jazz, vocals and classical music A38 might be the amp you are looking for

A

Anonymous

Unison Research or Audio Analog. You might consider a valve amp as well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts