Warm detailed speaker

Timpd

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
I have a Uniti 2 and ATC SCM 11s which sound brilliant with full bodied rock, organ and orchestral music with the volume cranked up. However, I find at lower volumes it lacks sparkle and sounds ordinary. Sometimes I just want the music to wash over me and not slap me round the face and wondered if there are speakers out there that will sound very good , ie immersive soundstage and detailed at low to medium volumes. I am looking at floorstanders up to 2k new or used in a room 6x7m with lots of soft furnishings, a bit sonically dead perhaps. I have thought most speakers sound very similar at lower volumes so stand to be corrected . Or is the uniti2 not the right amplifier to give me the warmth and detail I'm seeking? I am open to suggestions.

Thanks , Tim

TrevC

Timpd said:
I have a Uniti 2 and ATC SCM 11s which sound brilliant with full bodied rock, organ and orchestral music with the volume cranked up. However, I find at lower volumes it lacks sparkle and sounds ordinary. Sometimes I just want the music to wash over me and not slap me round the face and wondered if there are speakers out there that will sound very good , ie immersive soundstage and detailed at low to medium volumes. I am looking at floorstanders up to 2k new or used in a room 6x7m with lots of soft furnishings, a bit sonically dead perhaps. I have thought most speakers sound very similar at lower volumes so stand to be corrected . Or is the uniti2 not the right amplifier to give me the warmth and detail I'm seeking? I am open to suggestions.

Thanks , Tim

It's a characteristic of the human ear. You need a loudness button.

K

keeper of the quays

Hi Tim, may I suggest Hopi candles and turning the heating up! Lol..being serious most speakers at low volume aren't up to much...loudness button good idea...if you have one? iPod..use the music settings it has a loudness setting I think..nowt wrong with your speakers..keep them...

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
TrevC said:
Timpd said:

Thanks , Tim

It's a characteristic of the human ear. You need a loudness button.

That is true, but there are speakers that also sound good at lower volumes.

The PMC Twenty 22 i now own sounds also very good at lower volumes. That was not the case with the ATC SCM11 i owned before,

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It's possible that the problem is the amp, as "slapping you around the face", is a trait of Naim IMO.

Also, if you want a warm cuddly sound, ATC may be wrong.

Speakers to try would be Harbeth, Spendor Classic, Sonus Faber, Rega and Kef R Series.

You could also try Linn, which sounds gentler and more refined than Naim.

I think you have some experimentation to do.

Timpd

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
The trouble is when I'm in the mood I love the Naim / ATC combo but sometimes I want a more laid back sound. Can't have it both ways probably.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Timpd said:
The trouble is when I'm in the mood I love the Naim / ATC combo but sometimes I want a more laid back sound. Can't have it both ways probably.

Maybe you can't have it both ways from the same system but you could get a second device/system just for low level listening.

Something hidden in plain sight like the Ruark R7? (IIRC it might just have the 'tone' you require for lower levels.)

Have you considered a headphones/headphone amp 'second system'?

Timpd

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm keeping the ATCs , have thought about a sub but that's a different story. I thought some easy to drive floorstanders might do the trick. I should have bought an amp with 2 speaker outs as my bargain basement Rotel and Marantz systems had...

Timpd

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm keeping the ATCs , have thought about a sub but that's a different story. I thought some easy to drive floorstanders might do the trick. I should have bought an amp with 2 speaker outs as my bargain basement Rotel and Marantz systems had...

K

keeper of the quays

Timpd said:
I'm keeping the ATCs , have thought about a sub but that's a different story.  I thought some easy to drive floorstanders might do the trick. I should have bought an amp with 2 speaker outs as my bargain basement Rotel and Marantz  systems had... 
someone suggested headphones? Might be worth looking at..fine speakers you have..someone said there are speakers which are fine at low volume? Pah!! Maybe if you stick your ear right up to it! Lol

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Kef r 700 are warm and detailed with nice body, ive got a pair i want to sell only less than a year old in perfect condition. Without being a pain in the a if your interested ill give you my email

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts