Question Warfedale Elysian - Cambridge Combo

RustyRuss

May 20, 2024
Visit site
Greetings - I have just joined the forum and I’d like to jump in with a question…

I currently own a pair of Focal Chora 826 speakers powered by a Cambridge CXA81 with an accompanying Cambridge CXN network streamer. I’ve had the Choras for about 2 yrs and I’m wanting to upgrade. Essentially looking for warmer sound with more midrange depth. I mostly listen to jazz, acoustic instrumental, classical and folk rock. The room size for the system is 14’ x 24’ x 9’ high.

I’m considering purchasing a pair of Warfdale Elysian 2 speakers, but my budget can’t stretch to include a more powerful amp.
Do folks have an opinion as to whether the CXA81 will be sufficient to power the Elysian 2s ?

Much thanks in advance for your thoughts -

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Have you listened to them? There are lots of great speakers available in that price range.

Also, why do you think you need a more powerful amp? The CA puts out 120watts per channel at 4ohm.

Greetings - I have just joined the forum and I’d like to jump in with a question…

I currently own a pair of Focal Chora 826 speakers powered by a Cambridge CXA81 with an accompanying Cambridge CXN network streamer. I’ve had the Choras for about 2 yrs and I’m wanting to upgrade. Essentially looking for warmer sound with more midrange depth. I mostly listen to jazz, acoustic instrumental, classical and folk rock. The room size for the system is 14’ x 24’ x 9’ high.

I’m considering purchasing a pair of Warfdale Elysian 2 speakers, but my budget can’t stretch to include a more powerful amp.
Do folks have an opinion as to whether the CXA81 will be sufficient to power the Elysian 2s ?

Much thanks in advance for your thoughts -
Do you really need a 4 grand speaker powered by a sub-£1000 amp? For me that would be an overkill. But listening to these Wharfedales will determine if your amp can control these speakers through all volume ranges.

Reactions: DougK1

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Do you really need a 4 grand speaker powered by a sub-£1000 amp? For me that would be an overkill. But listening to these Wharfedales will determine if your amp can control these speakers through all volume ranges.
It's a strange route to take that's for sure.
One would think using a budget like that to incorporate both speakers and amp.

I'd imagine it would of course be fine after all it's reported as being well powered despite an 80w rating.
(Many other variables other than wattage) though of course it's still the best guide.

The amp is within spec at between for the wharfdales if that helps.
Recommended amplifier power25-250W
Personally I take my amp with me when demoing speakers especially when paying over a grand.
I did recently finding richer sounds very well accommodating and even recommending I did.

I'd always demo the things first.

It's a strange route to take that's for sure.
One would think using a budget like that to incorporate both speakers and amp.

I'd imagine it would of course be fine after all it's reported as being well powered despite an 80w rating.
(Many other variables other than wattage) though of course it's still the best guide.

The amp is within spec at between for the wharfdales if that helps.
Recommended amplifier power25-250W
Personally I take my amp with me when demoing speakers especially when paying over a grand.
I did recently finding richer sounds very well accommodating and even recommending I did.

I'd always demo the things first.
Even stranger when you consider his current speakers are Focal Aria, which like his Cambridge is an affordable speaker. Personally if I was looking for a smoother presentation, Q Acoustics would be my first port of call.... and take from there.

I would look at changing the amp for something like Marantz, Arcam, Roksan or a Creek Evo 100. The Focals should work well with those amps.

Reactions: Al ears
Electrically, they are entirely compatible. 4 ohm speakers with a suggested amplifier of 25-250watts. 89dB sensitivity will yield very loud maximum volume in your space.

I’d suggest auditioning the much more reasonable Linton, if you want a stand mounted Wharefdale with a warmer sound. The Elysian is beautiful, but it is very costly, so probably merits a better amplifier.

Reactions: Al ears
In this case I don't feel a more expensive amplifier is not necessary.
They are quite efficient speakers so driving them with an amplifier that is significantly cheaper should not be an issue if it can deliver current that the speakers require.
For a long time I was driving £8 grand speakers with an amp that I bought for £1500.
No issues there unless you want disco levels of volume
Speakers that work well in your given listening room is a more important iss and only the OP can determine that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts