wall mounting hi-fi speakers

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
adopting a little boy. he moves in next week. i want to put my avi speakers on the wall. the partiingtons can go in the loft for a few years.can anyone reccommend decent brackets? i think the avi with all the gubbins in are prob heavy for thier size. i did find some plain L shape ones claiming to be hi-fi 6 months back, as i dont want the rattling 10 quid adjustable ones you see all over the net. unfortunatley i lost the details in a computer crash.

budget only about 50 quid.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The AVIs weigh around 9-10kg apiece, and due to their design might be a bit tricky to use with brackets designed to screw into the rear of the speakers.

Probably best to ask AVI what it recommends...

T

the record spot

Congratulations on the adoption MM, hope all goes well for the little on in his new family. Good luck to the new parents too. Am adopted myself, or at least, I was many years ago - always pleased to hear of others finding a new family.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:Congratulations on the adoption MM, hope all goes well for the little on in his new family. Good luck to the new parents too. Am adopted myself, or at least, I was many years ago - always pleased to hear of others finding a new family.

Agreed. Good luck and nice to hear.

A

Anonymous

method man:

adopting a little boy. he moves in next week. i want to put my avi speakers on the wall. the partiingtons can go in the loft for a few years.can anyone reccommend decent brackets? i think the avi with all the gubbins in are prob heavy for thier size. i did find some plain L shape ones claiming to be hi-fi 6 months back, as i dont want the rattling 10 quid adjustable ones you see all over the net. unfortunatley i lost the details in a computer crash.

budget only about 50 quid.

I have mounted my RX1's on the wall with some B-tech AV38 brackets, bought a pair form Keene electronics (chase av sell them also) for £44ish they come in white, black & silver.

They screw into the back of the speaker & hold them 95mm off the wall, and hold upto 15kg each.

Have a look at these.

A

Anonymous

id avoid any bracket that involves screwing a plate into the back of the speaker

mine look like these ones http://www.findamount.com/en/products/speaker-mounts/P6166SP and ive secured them with blu tack

and congratulations too by the way

idc

I would build a shelf or get the very solid wooden shelf brackets you can find in Ikea and put them up. Then blue tac the speaker on to the shelf or bracket. You can even pad out the blue tac so as to angle the speaker so it faces slighly down.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Congrats on the adoption - max respect for anyone who does this.

My Dynaudios are atop Atacama SE24 stands. Our little boy is 2 next month and my wife was worried initially about them (him) but he's been absolutely fine. A stern 'no' when he goes near them and he's soon learnt.

He does however, insist on the grilles being on and whenever I take them off for a listen he picks them up and tries to put them back on!

He's also unbelievably respectful of the hi fi units which we put in an oak cabinet with a glass door. He loves playing with any bit of technology but if I leave the hi fi cabinet door open he runs to it and closes it rather than poking about with the kit inside ! Very sweet!

A

Anonymous

one off:

id avoid any bracket that involves screwing a plate into the back of the speaker

mine look like these ones http://www.findamount.com/en/products/speaker-mounts/P6166SP and ive secured them with blu tack

and congratulations too by the way

Sorry but I did not realise that the AVI's were not wooden backed.

I checked with Monitor audio before even attempting to screw into the rear, they have a 18mm thick back, with nothing in the way at the mounting point suggested, but I must say they do look fab. mounted this way, sound good too.

And the wife did not want the type of bracket that clamp, as they look pretty ugly.

And Congrats on the new member of your family.

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the info and the kind words chaps. the little fella is here permanently now.

maybe you can stop them interfering with them. but the avis are heavy as are the dreadnoughts and they could kill if toppled over. safer to put them on the wall a couple of years. Andrew says cant screw into the back of thse ones ,and theres a lot of digi inputs

so I went for these ones reccomended earlier in the thread: support up to 20kg so should be sturdy and are side pinchers.

http://www.findamount.com/en/products/speaker-mounts/P6166SP

another reason why they have to come out of the bay ( and are currently ontop of a wardrobe whilst the partingtons are in the loft):

NOW

THEN

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi all. an update. I got the wall mount stands from earlier in the thread. They are now well out of the lads reach.

They have been on the wall about 3 weeks now. Noe heres the thing. I 'think' I prefer them. the sounds a bit fuller, less clinical.

But im really enjoying the stereo imaging that I clearly wasnt getting from my dreadnought being maybe a little too close together.

Anyway to me they sound better. Strange heh?

ps. lad also settled in nicely.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
method man:
ps. lad also settled in nicely.

I have to say that picture of the little lad really made me think, I'm so pleased it's all working out.

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
thanks mate.

Like I said I think I prefer the sound. I have a large L shape living room its 2 normal semi detached rooms knocked through

but with the addition of another small room ( the old kitchen) also knocked through.

the listening postion is a sofa in the middle of the larger area facing the bay window where the speakers are. previously

they were on stands. which Im sure are great but it meant I sat further back than the speakers could be apart. How the space behind me

affected things i cannot guess. I liked it well enough though. But now they are on the walls and much further apart i think they sound better.

Im now after some ideas of a white or whitish cable tidy type thing to go around the black wires hanging down to make it all look abit neater if anyone knows.

jimdonnelly

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
Try taking the curtains out a little wider (may need a slighter longer curtain pole), so that thay sit next to the speaker. You can then take the cable up behind the curtain holding it in place with cable clips. You can then bring the cable across to the speaker without it being clearly visible. What you can see can be painted to match the wall.

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Dear Jim, are you a town planner?
emotion-2.gif

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Heres an update , if your interested chaps.

we have moved house. the partington stands came out of the loft when we moved and they are now in our designated dining room. with the avi speakers back where they belong.

I dont think the last room (3 rooms knocjed thru with lots of windows) was great for listening. this room on the other hand.

concrete floor. single room. curtains. solid walls. not too big. theres a table and chairs in there. but not in the way of the speakers. and the table has a padded heat mat on it. its also part of the extension to the house. and is situated with outside walls and detached from next door. if you shut the doors noone in the living room or bedrooms hears a thing even having ita bit louder.

The sound quality is completely different to how they sounded in the old house. They shound just like they did when i auditioned them in a listening room. fantastic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts