VT20 THX mode adjustment

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
tvspecv:so all tvs can be thx certified... if that is the case why dont they get it done?

Because a) it costs and b) not all manufacturers have the same view of the importance of THX certification

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
gel:I guess these discs are going to be able to tell me what to have contrast, brightness, colour and sharpness on but are they going to be able to tell me what to put PNR, frame creation, vivid colours on and other settings?

Thanks

They can help you set up, in detail, the major parameters of a display, but obviously they don't cater for specific proprietary technologies provided by individual manufacturers.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
For 'normal' TVs you can get nice improvements using the THX optimiser. It very much depend on the TV and the adjusmtent options available.

For a THX specified TV however I would seriously question you will get any noticeable difference using the THX optimiser. First of all the settings on these TVs are quite accurate. Secondly the THX optimiser cannot replace a real calibration.

Although I agree the surroundings have a significant impact on the picture performance I do not agree that the settings should be altered because of that. The only thing that makes sense is to adjust the brightness according to the lighting conditions in the room. But anyone just a little serious about correct set up of a TV will not place it in a very bright room with a lot of reflective light.

If you really want the surroundings to mess up the picture you can of course easily do that. Just get some flashing red and green lights. Or you could get a Philips with multi colour ambilight...

D

Deleted member 2457

Andrew Everard:gel:I guess these discs are going to be able to tell me what to have contrast, brightness, colour and sharpness on but are they going to be able to tell me what to put PNR, frame creation, vivid colours on and other settings?

Thanks

They can help you set up, in detail, the major parameters of a display, but obviously they don't cater for specific proprietary technologies provided by individual manufacturers.

Didn't think so.

D

Deleted member 2457

Clare Newsome:Indeed. And our video - How to get the best from your TV - talks you through the THX set-up basics, too.

That was good
emotion-21.gif

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
gel:Andrew Everard:gel:I guess these discs are going to be able to tell me what to have contrast, brightness, colour and sharpness on but are they going to be able to tell me what to put PNR, frame creation, vivid colours on and other settings?
Thanks

Didn't think so.

General guidance is (if you like film sources to look like film sources) to keep PNR and frame creation either off or on very low settings. You'll need to have a read around for guidance on the vivid colour setting- some American review sites go into a bit of detail about these types of picture enhancement settings and whether or not they recommend using them in their reviews. Most of the time they tend to say that one setting or another produces acceptable results but generally they recommend turning them off for accurate reproduction.

D

Deleted member 2457

Tom Moreno:gel:Andrew Everard:gel:I guess these discs are going to be able to tell me what to have contrast, brightness, colour and sharpness on but are they going to be able to tell me what to put PNR, frame creation, vivid colours on and other settings?

Thanks

Didn't think so.

General guidance is (if you like film sources to look like film sources) to keep PNR and frame creation either off or on very low settings. You'll need to have a read around for guidance on the vivid colour setting- some American review sites go into a bit of detail about these types of picture enhancement settings and whether or not they recommend using them in their reviews. Most of the time they tend to say that one setting or another produces acceptable results but generally they recommend turning them off for accurate reproduction.

Cheers for the help
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

gel , trust me on this one , always have pnr turned off , you dont need it ..

and when watching hd material , turn off picture overscan too ..
emotion-21.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

maxflinn:

gel , trust me on this one , always have pnr turned off , you dont need it ..

and when watching hd material , turn off picture overscan too ..
emotion-21.gif

Overscan what's that?

What is going on with tvs then Max? how is it going?

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

hard to explain about overscan gel , its fine for sd , but should be off for hd , especially blu-rays ..

ah i tried to get a kuro , a 6090 , it was sold for e1700 in febuary but the buyer hasnt picked it up yet , the salesman said he had to get it out of the store , so i cheekily offered e2000 , but the initial buyer wont take his money back , hes going to take it next week
emotion-9.gif

so im getting a 50v20 after all , ordinarily that would be great , but im a little peeved over missing the kuro ..

never mind eh , the v20 has better detail
emotion-19.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:it was sold for e1700 in febuary but the buyer hasnt picked it up yet

That's incredibly cheap - my 5090 cost me over £2,000 back in November last year when there were still only a few in stock around. ?1,700 for a 6090 in February, when virtually all stock had dried up - are you sure it was brand new and not refurbished?

A

Anonymous

professorhat:
maxflinn:it was sold for e1700 in febuary but the buyer hasnt picked it up yet

That's incredibly cheap - my 5090 cost me over £2,000 back in November last year when there were still only a few in stock around. ?1,700 for a 6090 in February, when virtually all stock had dried up - are you sure it was brand new and not refurbished?

it was on display in a shop here in waterford , d.i.d electrical , whom i regularly buy stuff off , including my current tv , its original retail price was e8000
emotion-3.gif
when it went on display in 2009 sometime , that price tumbled to around e4500 by xmas , but it still didnt sell ..

the salesman whom i know , rang me in febuary to tell me they wanted rid of it , for e2000 , but i told him i didnt have the money , he rang me back 5 minutes later saying i could have it for e1500
emotion-4.gif
, but it had to go by friday of that week , that was a tuesday morning i think ..

i went out to look at it , it was mint as you would expect , with stand and speakers , and a "make me an offer" placard above it , i couldnt get the money and by friday it had sold for e1700 , but it was never collected , the buyer whom coincidently is someone i know well (but dont get on with , its a long story) , is building a new house (its like southfork ranch actually) , and had nowhere to keep it so its lying in the shop somewhere since..

whilst talking to the salesman this week re. a new tv , he mentioned that the kuro i so badly wanted was still there , and that his boss wanted it out of the store , as even though it was sold , payed for etc it was still showing on the system as old stock , at e8000
emotion-40.gif
because it was in the building..

so i offered e2000 , hoping they might renege on their original deal
emotion-10.gif
, knowing they wanted rid , but they contacted the guy who now has commited to taking it next week
emotion-9.gif
. what a price though , i reckon you could still get north of £3500 on ebay , but hey , thats life ..
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

the settings posted earlier in this thread are utter 'pants' so far off as to make 'dynamic' look subtle

A

Anonymous

johnb1966:the settings posted earlier in this thread are utter 'pants' so far off as to make 'dynamic' look subtle
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

gel

for what its worth I've got the set on THX with all the motion processing off all other adjustments standard except contrast up around 5 clicks and brightness around 2 or 3 clicks up

TRENDING THREADS