VModa VTF-100/M100

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I thought that I would create a new post for the upcoming VModa M-100 (and limited edition pre-order - VTF-100).

vtf_m_100_02__35549_std.jpg

I am a huge fan of the portable M-80 but ever since I got it I really wanted a larger circumaural design. Well I couldn't resist it any longer and decided to pre-order the VTF-100. I'm not sure when this will be sent out but my order was updated to "Awaiting Shipment" last night. It still says "ships in 45-60 days" on the availability so this might not mean too much. I will report back when I get them but also soon after I do I will be writing a full review for my blog. If anyone else is interested in pre-ordering these headphones here is a link:

http://v-moda.com/vtf-100/

There is not much info on the site yet, no images (accept the teaser close-up) and thus no clear sign what your custom colour options will look like, but I suspect that the bits not shown in the image will be much like the existing LP2 model and that's no bad thing.

Clare: I ordered the matte black ones so if you have any of the other colour models available as samples I would still be interested, it would be great to photograph the different looks for the review. Mods: Can you give her my email address please?

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that the page for the VTF-100 has been removed from VModa's website. There is nothing about the M-100 either an there is no official statement to those of us who have pre-orders for the VTF-100. I did hear something about them not being totally happy with the sound, despite it being the best sounding headphone ever and that they wouldn't release it's been completely perfected. Let's see...

There was a photo of it released and it looked very much like the m-80, certainly nothing like the details you see in the teaser image (above). I will try to dig out the newer image.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
You rang? :)

V-Moda U k launch of new products - expected to include M-100 - due on September 18th. I've invited the WHF crew along, so hopefully they will report back!

I haven't had my hands on the M-100 headphones yet, nor seen them. But I am expecting all the marketing materials in this coming week...

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey Clare! Thanks for the update! I wish I could come to the UK launch but I would never get the time off work :(.

That's great news about the M-100! I can't wait to get my grubby little mits on the VTF-100!

For anyone else who is interested - I did find this sneak peak of the pre-production model...

v-moda_m-100.jpeg

And here is an interview with Val Kolton (founder of VModa) at 'Profile Magazine' (an interesting read).

http://profilemagazine.com/2012/v-moda/

Yeah it looks like that above picture is not real, unless it was a very early one. Here are some of the official ones...

vmoda_m100.jpg

vmoda_m100_fold.jpg

And a review from CNET Asia...

http://asia.cnet.com/hands-on-v-moda-crossfade-m-100-and-vamp-62218619.htm

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The new white M80 has excellent bass and mids, but highs are recessed too much to be truly high fidelity. So if the M100 ups the highs some, enough to qualify as hi-fi, but without the brightness of a Senn 800 for example, and without the peakiness of a typical Beyer, they could have a giant killer.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
*Engage PR mode*

FYI, Val Kolton from V-Moda is preparing for the official US launch of m-100 at Radio City - he's leaking snippets of info on his Twitter account:

@valkolton

*PR mode disengaged*

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Clare! I don't have a twitter account, was there much information given do you know?

I just finished making the custom artwork for my VTF-100's. I stuck it on a photo of the LP, but that will do for now...

Test.jpg

Based on the Batman: Arkham City logo.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Nice :)

You don't need a Twitter account to follow someone on Twitter - you can read their posts through any web browser. Val is here - with lots of M100 pics/info...

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
Nice :)

You don't need a Twitter account to follow someone on Twitter - you can read their posts through any web browser. Val is here - with lots of M100 pics/info...
Thanks Clare! OK I finally gave Twitter a go and it's not as scary as I thought :p. I'd been avoiding that one for a while. I have been following the huge, 400 page long, post on Head-fi for the M-100. Now I have another place to follow the action :).

Clare: So next Tuesday for VModa's launch of new shiny things then? Where is that being held btw, and can anyone attend?

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
If I covered it for my blog would that get me into the press category? :). I could bring my big camera :p. Do I sound desparate? Because I am :D.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
quadpatch said:
Thanks Clare! OK I finally gave Twitter a go and it's not as scary as I thought :p. I'd been avoiding that one for a while. I have been following the huge, 400 page long, post on Head-fi for the M-100. Now I have another place to follow the action.

400 pages (10 thousand posts?) on an item that's not even released to the house reviewers like me? That has to be the worst possible use of someone's time I can imagine.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
OK I only read the last few pages, but yeah it's a huge waste of time that thread. I only got a couple of nice photos out of it really. I know I should be writing my reviews but the M-100 has really peaked my headphone lust lately! I've seen enough to notice that Val is on there a lot, yes it's nice to hear from him (as a fan), but I can't help thinking that his time would be better spent elsewhere.

In our company we have a girl who manages all of our PR through forums, facebook and twitter etc. It really is a full-time job!

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
quadpatch said:
OK I only read the last few pages, but yeah it's a huge waste of time that thread. I only got a couple of nice photos out of it really. I know I should be writing my reviews but the M-100 has really peaked my headphone lust lately! I've seen enough to notice that Val is on there a lot, yes it's nice to hear from him (as a fan), but I can't help thinking that his time would be better spent elsewhere. In our company we have a girl who manages all of our PR through forums, facebook and twitter etc. It really is a full-time job!

Glad it's you and not me - thanks. I did my text review today of the fantastic Soundmagic HP100, which should make a very good comparison to the M100 (coincidence, '100' - hmmm). Anyway I'll get the links together later, but if the M100 can duplicate the HP100's bass and ease off somewhat on the treble without requiring a treble boost, it might compare well to the HP100 or beat it hands down. Could be very interesting. HP100's bass is better than the best I've ever heard - really flat to 15 hz - amazing.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
This is the pre-release, sorry to disappoint Dale. The official M-100 wont be available for a few more months I think, but this is mechanically the same unit. It's possible that Amazon.com will get some before they're available on V-Moda's site as they have placed large orders, or so i hear. Not sure about Amazon.co.uk or Computers Unlimited (official UK distributor) as I haven't heard anything from Clare in almost a month.

Any idea if you will get one of these? Mine are shipped but tracking says they're stuck in LA
smiley-cry.gif

A

Anonymous

Been listening to my m100s for two days now. And have been a/b-ing them with my m80s.

The m80s sound a bit muddy/muffled sounding compared to its m100 big brother.

It took a little getting used to the sound considering the better treble response and clear

Tight mids and textured bass. The m100s do benefit more than the m80s from amping.

With an amp the m100s bass is awesomely tight and deep.

That being said it still sounds pretty damm good running off my phone/RAZR Which has a Wolfson DAC.

Val has done a great job creating an awesome closed headphone for the masses. You can't please everybody.. but I'm 100% pleased myself.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
quadpatch said:
Not sure about Amazon.co.uk or Computers Unlimited (official UK distributor) as I haven't heard anything from Clare in almost a month.

Sorry, have been really busy at work, plus had no broadband at home! However, there's no news to report re V-Moda availability in UK as of yet. Will update you as/when...

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey thanks for the findings! Are you in the UK? I am still awaiting mine, just found out today that it's my fault they are stuck in customs.. meh! Fingers crossed they will get here soon though.

I was mostly using the M80's until last week and now I am playing with the SoundMAGIC HP100 (which I am loving so far!) so I'm very curious how these two will compare. The HP100's will isolate much better than the M-100 I think but apart from that I am expecting something similar, perhaps stronger bass from the M-100... I can't wait!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts