virgin tv picture quality

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I had the virgin phone, tv and internet package installed recently. My tv option is the basic one.

I think the picture quality is worse than when I connected a standard aerial cable and used the tv’s dvb freeview.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it because virgin is running through a scart lead? Is scart worse than normal aerial?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
I have the Virgin V+ box which does an excellent job of upscaling standard-definition Freeview pictures so they they look much better than those produced by the Freeview tuner in my Sony Bravia TV.

It might well be worth upgrading the Scart lead. Which set-top box have they given you? And does it have an HDMI connection?

John Duncan

No, unless you have a rubbish SCART cable (which is quite likely, if it came in a box with somethign else). I'll admit that if I plug my Humax PVR into my main telly, picture quality is marginally better than my Virgin box, but only if I'm being picky.

What's the telly?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
My virgin box generally looks VERY good through my scart conenction (But then its wired with a decent mains cable and through a conditioner, the scarts a very good Monster scart and my tvs a Pioneer which has AWESOME scaling capabilities)

A

Anonymous

My Virgin box is a Samsung SMT 2110C and I'm using the scart lead supplied. The tv is a Pansonic v10 plasma. I've just finished watching a show on fiver usa and that looked brilliant. It's just that yesterday I saw something on itv2 through the virgin box, which i thought looked quite poor in comparison to king kong which I saw through the normal aerial at the weekend. Since, I only got the tv last weekend, I haven't seen too much on it, so that yesterday was my only point of comparison. I'll see how it goes.

I suppose different channels and programmes will affect performance.

John Duncan

hmtb:I'm using the scart lead supplied

QED

hmtb:itv2

QED

hmtb:I suppose different channels and programmes will affect performance.

They do.

Buying even an entry-level SCART can often improve things immeasurably, as ones that come in the box can be hit-and-miss affairs. And different channels do pay different attention to their quality - much as I love ITV (having worked for them), their broadcast quality is subjectively not always the finest, even on HD - but particularly on their digital channels (2/3/4).

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Not helpful, but I'm still on Virgin analogue and the picture quality on some channels (Channel 5 is one of them, thankfully
emotion-2.gif
) has always been grotty, even on a CRT. And the fact that some of the channels will disappear for a few days makes it likely that if and when I upgrade to a HD service it won't be Virgin's!

A

Anonymous

I have to admit the picture quality on a standard v box is poor compared to the standard sky box (as witnessed every year when my misses fallouts with one of them) if find the colours slighty garsish and the black levels realy poor (are they doing ire 7.5?)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts