Clearaudio concept subpar sound quality - need help

uint

Dec 18, 2021
Visit site
Hi all,

happy to have joined this great community and I hope you guys can help me.

I have a Concept turntable with concept arm and MM Clearaudio standard cartridge. The basic setup. It is connected to a Pro-Ject Phono Box E BT preamp that goes into a streaming hub (via a 3.5mm aux) and from there to my Buchardt A500 speakers. Lots of things the purists will not like but I am not a hardcore purist, so that’s ok.

My problem: the music coming out from the turntable is way worse than the same music being streamed from Spotify. So much that I am currently listening music only via Spotify. The sound from the turntable lacks in clarity and it seems to “saturate” the speakers.

I have verified the track force of the cartridge which is between 2 and 2.2 (depending where on the platter).

I am thinking the problem could be resolved with a better cartridge and phono preamp but would like to know what you guys think.

Thanks!!

D

Deleted member 108165

Think your problem may be the method of signal transmission (BT) rather than anything to do with the cartridge or turntable. For turntables wired connection is always best.

I could be wrong, if so I'm sure others will be along soon to correct me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Gray

uint

Dec 18, 2021
Visit site
Hi DougK,

thank you for your answer. While the preamp is capable of doing Bluetooth, I am not using it. I am using the 3.5mm output to connect into the aux of the streaming hub.

uint

Dec 18, 2021
Visit site

uint

Dec 18, 2021
Visit site
Well that might suggest that the hub is not the culprit.
Nevertheless.....how is the vinyl sound with the preamp output connected directly to the speakers?

that’s a great question. Unfortunately the preamp is a cheap Pro-Ject phono preamp and has only the 3.5mm Jack output. The speakers have an XLR input. So, I have no way to directly connect the turntable to the speakers.

abacus

You are not using the active version of the turntable are you? As if so you need to either switch the output to bypass the inbuilt phono stage, or connect the turntable directly into the hub.
If not then it sounds like some form of overload in the chain between the turntable and hub. (Make sure the ground is connected, or if it is try with it disconnected to see if this makes a difference)
If your hub has Bluetooth, try using that instead to help narrow down where the problem is.

Bill

Gray

I have no way to directly connect the turntable to the speakers.
Where there's a will......
But before that, I didn't think there was a version of your TT with a built-in preamp.
But if that's what you've got, see Bill's post above - the first thing to do is ensure that you're sending the cartridge output (and not the preamp output) to the input of the Pro-ject......otherwise, there's your overload cause.

uint

Dec 18, 2021
Visit site
...such as this:

Gray I am confused. The speakers have only XLR inputs as analogue inputs. Otherwise they use wireless (Wisa). The preamp has only a 3.5mm mini Jack as output, there is no RCA output. Where would I use the adapter you suggest?

Gray

Gray I am confused. The speakers have only XLR inputs as analogue inputs. Otherwise they use wireless (Wisa). The preamp has only a 3.5mm mini Jack as output, there is no RCA output. Where would I use the adapter you suggest?
Sorry, I was thinking you were using a wired connection from hub output to XLR inputs on the speakers.

So let's be clear about your current situation....correct what I may be getting wrong:
The hub transmits wirelessly to the speakers.
You've not got any XLR leads, as you've never used the XLR inputs.

Is that right?

uint

Dec 18, 2021
Visit site
Sorry, I was thinking you were using a wired connection from hub output to XLR inputs on the speakers.

So let's be clear about your current situation....correct what I may be getting wrong:
The hub transmits wirelessly to the speakers.
You've not got any XLR leads, as you've never used the XLR inputs.

Is that right?

To summarize my current setup: I have the Concept TT connected to the Pro-ject preamp via RCA connectors. The preamp is then connected to the speakers hub using the 3.5mm mini Jack. The hub connects to the speakers wirelessly (Wisa). No XLR input/output is used.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

To summarize my current setup: I have the Concept TT connected to the Pro-ject preamp via RCA connectors. The preamp is then connected to the speakers hub using the 3.5mm mini Jack. The hub connects to the speakers wirelessly (Wisa). No XLR input/output is used.
OK, so it's back to finding the right adaption.
If you're connecting to the RCA inputs on the hub, then you'll already have a 3.5mm jack to twin RCA plug cable to use for your test.
If not, that adaptor I linked to above will give you RCA out of the preamp.
Then choose from these things to get you connected directly - they'll also give you a future RCA analogue in option for your speakers if you need one.
(The lead comes in different lengths - and you might want to completely separate the twin cable):
That hub is expensive, you'd like to think it's not compromising the audio - but the point is, something is and direct connection is necessary to rule it out.
Obviously, if direct sounds fine, the hub is the problem.
If it still sounds rough, work back, starting with the preamp.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts