Virgin media TIVO box

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi
I am a virgin media customer and currently have the V+ box plugged into my system and appart from the buttons not responding periodically I am very happy with it.
They are pushing me to have a TIVO box however and although I have seen a couple of positive reviews they were quite short and did not give much detail.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of them and how they rate ?

Thanks.

Bc.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Have a look at http://www.whathifi.com/forum/freesat-sky-and-virgin/virgin-tivo, it may give you some info if you haven't already read it.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Had an engineer come over to install my 100MB broadband and I asked him about TiVo. He tells me its a gimmick and its better to stick to V+

His main gripe was the time it takes to set up recording while you are out. I quote him "lets say a film is on in 20 mins and you are out, forget it, it takes 45mins for it to be setup and go through!"

I took that with a pinch of salt, its a new system so yes its going to have a few teething issues and surely it will get better.

Personally i still like the look of it, but i want to share what i was told by a Virgin Engineer.

A

Anonymous

Hi duplex, can you just clarify your(or should I say the engineers) point, are you saying there is a method to remote record? Like with sky's app (which they still advise a min of 30mins before the programme starts for the signal to get through to the box).

A

Anonymous

I just had my TiVo box installed yesterday. Apparently I'm only the second one the Engineer had installed since its release and he said it would take 2 hours to set up. 20 minutes after the words left his mouth he was done lol. He also said people were sending them back because they didn't like the new menu system and they didn't get on with the new features. Well I love the new menu system, the V+ menus were rubbish in my opinion and I was getting very tired of the lag I experienced everytime I went through the programe listings.

I have no issues recording anything. I recorded a few Simpsons episodes and a few films and there was no problems with time delays or anything like that. I like the recording options and links with each programe, there is direct You Tube links to most things you watch and it will tell you when future episodes are being shown. I might be explaining it quite rubbish to be honest, but it is a comprehensive viewing experience.

It has a few Apps installed (Twitter, Ebay, You Tube to name a few) and more are on their way, if thats your bag.

I personally like the TiVo box
smiley-cool.gif

A

Anonymous

Sorry guys, I just re-read what was originally said.

I have just tried to record a programe that was 20 mins away and it wouldn't let me. It says you need to allow 35 mins for a programe to record.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info. I have a friend who has had one for a few weeks, he was none plussed at first but says it is growing on him now. I might make enquiries tomorrow as the mag review seemed to think it was good. Bc.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Apparently thats whay im told and that is what they advertise. But as mentioned above it takes 35 mins to set up and if its on in 20 its no good.

A

Anonymous

duaplex said:
Apparently thats whay im told and that is what they advertise. But as mentioned above it takes 35 mins to set up and if its on in 20 its no good.

Sorry Duaplex, my original question still stands:

Do you mean it takes more than 20 mins when using a remote (i.e. From an iphone/ipad via a 3g or wifi connection via an app) record function (which is usual for that type of function) or do you mean when you are stood infront of the box with the remote in hand (but from my experience it's instantaneous).

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
markjaspi said:
duaplex said:

Sorry Duaplex, my original question still stands:

Do you mean it takes more than 20 mins when using a remote (i.e. From an iphone/ipad via a 3g or wifi connection via an app) record function (which is usual for that type of function) or do you mean when you are stood infront of the box with the remote in hand (but from my experience it's instantaneous).

He was talking about being out and about where you would have to set it to record though your phone etc. So remote recording was his gripe. If you are directly infront of the box then its a different issue.

Again this is not personal experience.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
briinthesky said:
Hi I am a virgin media customer and currently have the V+ box plugged into my system and appart from the buttons not responding periodically I am very happy with it. They are pushing me to have a TIVO box however and although I have seen a couple of positive reviews they were quite short and did not give much detail. I was wondering if anyone has any experience of them and how they rate ? Thanks. Bc.

There's a two-page 'Living With TiVo' feature coming up in our July issue of the magazine, on sale June 2nd.

A

Anonymous

duaplex said:
markjaspi said:
duaplex said:

Sorry Duaplex, my original question still stands: Do you mean it takes more than 20 mins when using a remote (i.e. From an iphone/ipad via a 3g or wifi connection via an app) record function (which is usual for that type of function) or do you mean when you are stood infront of the box with the remote in hand (but from my experience it's instantaneous).
He was talking about being out and about where you would have to set it to record though your phone etc. So remote recording was his gripe. If you are directly infront of the box then its a different issue. Again this is not personal experience.

Thanks for the clarification, It was just that I was unaware that TiVo had this facility, I will have to look into this then.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
No Problem

Check out the website for Virgin they have an advertisement video you can watch which is quite good. Sells it to you pretty hard :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts