vinyl decision time..

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just sold some kit on e-bay an now have funds for a record player, ive posted a few time's about various deck's and prices, The contenders are project's rpm5.2 or regas p3, so what you guy's think? what deck would you choose and why?

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Hello Jimm, I've just bought a Rega P2 and love it's detail, bass performance and it's rhythmic drive, i use a Denon DL110 and it seems a perfect match so my vote would go to the Rega but you really should have a listen for yourself.

John Duncan

But advice above about a new cartridge is sound - any minor advantages or disadvantages of either deck will be more than compensated for by a 200 quid cartridge - eschew step up transformers and go straight for a Cambridge 640p phono stage though, which rocks, does MC, and is 60 quid going on 200.

A

Anonymous

I love the look of the pro-ject it's oh so cool, However the rega has slightly better upgrade potential, wacking on an expensive cartridge on the pro-ject will help matters, Its a difficult one this, i need to think..

T

the record spot

P3-24 if you're going with those two only. Secondhand might get you a Roksan Radius for the same money though and this is well worth considering.

For the P3, think about a Dynavector 10x5 cartridge (£250) which is a stunning match apparently, by all accounts, also - depending on the sound you like - the Audio Technica AT440-MLa (£90) which is open, detailed and tracks like a winner. It's easily worth half as much again, so this is a bit of a steal. If you buy in the US, you'll get it for about £60 or so and for that money, it's a giveaway.

Don't forget the Goldring 1022/1042 and new Ortofon ranges as well (2000 series variants). All will do a good job, but check out the tonal qualities of each viz what you want to hear. I'm utterly delighted with the AT, but would only recommend it if you like an analytical, but highly open and musical presentation. If you want warmth, look elsewhere.

A

Anonymous

Just spoken to my local hi-fi dealer, they have an ex-display pro-ject rpm5 for 330 pound's,im going to buy it, i wont upgrade the cartridge yet instead invest my saveing in record's, For that price it's an easy decision, thank's for the reply's.

A

Anonymous

yea, warrenty and all the trimming's, ill post in week or so to let you all know how it sound's, got to wait for damm paypal to clear before i can buy. cheer's.

John Duncan

jimm:However the rega has slightly better upgrade potential

Disagree - the Project has two optional power supplies (one 70 quid ish, the other 300 or something), but as you rightly say both arms will take expesnsive cartridges.

The Project has no lid, obviously, in case you're dust-averse.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts