Advice on what makes a great vinyl system.

adam_s_howell

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys and gals,

I have recently discovered the amazing sound of vinyl! My father has a record collection and it has sat unheard for many years. Sad I know. A while ago I purchased a cheap TT to listen to a few and thought it would be a good father son activity. Since listening to the majority of his collection I have become mesmerised with the sound. We went to a record store and bought a few more and I have now started buying my own.

In have done a little research and from what I can tell to do the sound justice you need a decent setup. I have been saving for a while and want to upgrade to some decent equipment rather than use the rubbish player (with built in speakers!!) I have.I have between £700 and £1000 at a push. I don't really know what to look for so am asking the experts, you! Any website links, pictures, product names and combinations with prices would be greatly appreciated. I am screaming out to listen to vinyl as it was intended.... please help!I eagerly await your advice, with huge thanks in advance.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As a starter deck, look at the Rega RP1 (£230), or it's upgraded version with the Performance Pack (£300), Project Debut SE MkIII (£265) or Debut Carbon (£325). Do try a couple of slightly better decks though, like the Rega RP3 (£549) or the Project One Xpression (£575), as the quality of the system hinges on the quality of the front end. With the latter decks, you will need to look at more budget amp and speakers, although you could look at used items for these to get you up and running. An upgraded power supply can be added to the RP3 at a later date (plug and play). You can pick up a used Audiolab 8000A for around £150, then choice of speakers is yours - standmounts/floorstanders - whatever suits you.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Adam, welcome to the forum...and this wonderful (but controversial) hobby.

My advice would be as follows:

1. Find a good dealer who is knowledgeable (about TTs)

2. Get a good budget TT, which generally means the bottom rung of Rega or Project.

3. Only look at amps that have a good built-in phono stage, so you are looking at the Rega Brio R as a minimum.

4. Spend what's left on speakers...you could do worse than Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s.

adam_s_howell

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
All sounds great. Thanks. I will have a look at what you are suggesting and see what's what. Any recommended websites to have a look at initially?

Is my budget reasonable for what I want or do I need to continue saving and increase it. If so how much should I be looking to have?

what kind of setups do you have? If you don't mind me asking that is!

If money was no object what would you get?

Thanks for for all your advice so far.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
adam_s_howell said:
All sounds great. Thanks. I will have a look at what you are suggesting and see what's what. Any recommended websites to have a look at initially?

Is my budget reasonable for what I want or do I need to continue saving and increase it. If so how much should I be looking to have?

Thanks for for all your advice so far.

Don't ask! :)

If it were me, I'd be looking at an older Rega Planar 3. You should be able to get hold of a decent one for around £200, from ebay. That would give you more scope on the rest of the system, with regards to price and you'd have a pretty good turntable. As for the rest of the system, I leave it for others more knowledgeable to make suggestions. I hope this helps....a little :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
adam_s_howell said:

http://www.hifix.co.uk/

adam said:

Your budget is very tight, so you need to see what extra money can get you (maybe £1550 to £2000). Where a TT is the source, spending extra here pays dividends

adam said:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/and-finally

adam said:

Linn Klimax DS/1 + MF Primo / AMS50 + Kef Blades or an all Audio Note system

adam_s_howell

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Okay I am going to admit I am a complete amature and am totally new to this all. Would someone mind explaining to me what separate bit of equipment are needed. I know you are probably all thinking "does this guy know anything!?" No is the answer! If someone could list all the separate bits of equipment and what they are needed for I would be HUGELY grateful and it may help me to understand and get a better picture at what I am buying. I can then assess the situation and adjust budget accordingly.

I can can be a very patient man and if needs be I will wait longer, save more and buy a better system. So long as I understand why that is!

Having looked at at the best buy section I like the look and sound (the review) of the Rega RP3/Elys2. What does that plug into and so on.

Im sorry for for asking what my seem a very simple question but it's best to get peoples opinions rather than me spending a load of money on what I think is a good system only to find I have set it up wrong or am missing something!

again am very grateful for all your help so far.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
No worries Adam.

Basically, for a normal tuntable set-up, you need a turntable(obviously), an amp and speakers, then you're good to go. Some amps won't have a phono stage, in which case you will need a pre-amp. But most will have an input for phono. For your budget, and to get you started with a pretty good system, I'd be looking at second hand. That way, you'll get really good value for money, and a good system to boot!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
To quote DDC (who is a very wise man!), find a good dealer and take it from there.

If you give an idea where you live, the good folks on here could give you some suggestions. Now if you were from NI, I would know where to send you.

adam_s_howell

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
No worries Adam.

Basically, for a normal tuntable set-up, you need a turntable(obviously), an amp and speakers, then you're good to go. Some amps won't have a phono stage, in which case you will need a pre-amp. But most will have an input for phono. For your budget, and to get you started with a pretty good system, I'd be looking at second hand. That way, you'll get really good value for money, and a good system to boot!

thanks for for explaining that. Much clearer now :)

adam_s_howell

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
To quote DDC (who is a very wise man!), find a good dealer and take it from there.

If you give an idea where you live, the good folks on here could give you some suggestions. Now if you were from NI, I would know where to send you.

I am in the Eastbourne area South England

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
adam_s_howell said:
CnoEvil said:

I am in the Eastbourne area South England

If you don't get a response (which you probably will), you could start a new thread posing that question.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
If you arrange a demo with them or someone else make sure you take some vinyl with you that you know and like or check to see what they have to play before you go. Don't listen to stuff you don't know.

iMark

I think most useful tips have been given. Pro-Ject and Rega make great TTs so all you have to do is buy a decent amp and speakers that can be the heart of a great system.

I wouldn't underestimate the importance of a decent stand for a TT or a rigid wall mount. TT's are notorious for being prone to outside stumbles and noises. Some more expensive TT's have the possibility to adjust the feet so you can get the TT exactly level. Our Pro-Ject 1Xpression III has got that facility and it works great because our floor with the HiFi stand is not exactly level.

One last tip: storage of LPs. I have just assembled a new IKEA cupboard called Kallax, which is the successor to the famous Expedit. I have now moved our records from my study to the living room so they are closer to the TT. The Kallax is great for storing records.

According to the UK website, the Kallax hasn't arrived in the UK yet. But the Expedit is still available.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
iMark said:
One last tip: storage of LPs. I have just assembled a new IKEA cupboard called Kallax, which is the successor to the famous Expedit. I have now moved our records from my study to the living room so they are closer to the TT. The Kallax is great for storing records.

According to the UK website, the Kallax hasn't arrived in the UK yet. But the Expedit is still available.

Make sure you build it correctly..

ikea-expedit-s-effondre.jpg

DIB said:
iMark said:

:)

Another reason to get a turntable with a lid?

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
DIB said:
iMark said:

That's some serious bias! :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts