Vintage amp recommendation/suggestion

manufelices

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I am looking for a vintage amp to add to my current set. Any recommendation/suggestion? In terms of quality and components, which is better?

iMac (FLAC/ALAC)- DAC Cambridge Audio Dac Magic 100 - AMP (???) - B&W Dm601 S2 ( I have also a pair of Q Acoustics 2010)

- ROTEL RA01 or RA 820
- MARANTZ 2238B
- PIONEER SA 606
- NAD 3130
- ARCAM alpha 8R

Thank you very much!

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Try whichever seems like the biggest bargain - as in the one that you think you could sell on for the most profit if it doesn't sound better than what you've already got.

If they all seem like equally good value, of that lot I personally would try the Pioneer first. But I'd also keep my eyes open for lots of other make and models of amps.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Sure. And I'd rather try a Pioneer M4a than other amp, at the moment. It's all about keeping your eyes open for the biggest bargains, doing a bit of google homework and trying whatever you fancy most.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Pioneer or NAD for me, for no reason other than I like Pioneer and NAD. I have fond memories and have had good experiences with kit from both brands, both vintage and current.

I don't know your budget, but the Pioneer A-717 or NAD C370 are very good 'vintage' amps. They are quite modern in comparison to your 70's/80's choices.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Sure. And I'd rather try a Pioneer M4a than other amp, at the moment. It's all about keeping your eyes open for the biggest bargains, doing a bit of google homework and trying whatever you fancy most.

the guy's budget is about £100-£150 (based on his 'wish list')

SteveR750

NAD 3130, brilliant little amp. I had one for over 10 years, and thrashed it senseless. Never let me down, despite beer spillage, being dropped etc etc (as you do as a student / young fool).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts