New set up for digital music, amp advice

bluesurf9

Oct 7, 2007
Visit site
I have bought a new house and have sold my old seperates to pay for a new upgrade. I had a Arcam Alpha 7se Cd Player, Arcam Alpha 8R amp and B&W DM602 S2 standmount speakers. I loved the sound and what to achieve a modern equilvalent. I am finally saying goodbye to my CD collection and am going digital (I know it cant compete sonically but is much more convenient), I am looking at getting a Sonos Connect & Bridge, B&W 685 speakers, a DAC (either dac magic or rDac), but am struggling on an amplifier to go with them. Budget is around £500 but ideally less. The amp must have a remote which rules out the Rotel, I have seen low price Arcam a18 amp in richer sounds but not read good reviews, Im not sure the Marantz PM6004 will be up to the job....advice please! :?

Fixt00l

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
Hello! I can share my deep, personal experience with you, sir.I went to audition some bookshelf speakers in a small shop, that is very close to what a small room is, nothing was isolated.I have auditioned Mordaunt Short Aviano 2, KEF Q100, some expensive Quadral Argentum 330, JBL ES 30, Tannoy Revolution DC6.Compared to Boston Acoustics A26, all mentioned speakers were nothing short of a joke.When I have read this forum, somebody suggested that the smaller model, A25, is even better in detail and midrange.Boy, was he right...Connected both and compared both models...The A25 has much tighter bass that did not veil or smidge the other part of the sound, and even when playing a bloody 128kbps mp3, it retrieved amazing detail - I finally know that this unknown instrument in the song is actually a harmonica!I have never heard such neutral, open, alive and musical speakers in my life.The B & W are not musical at all.Boomy, bassy, hard to drive...I`d avoid them like the plague.The rDac has a hefty, heavy sound, it is far from neutrla.I connected Arcam rPac to the A25, and I was more than overwhelmed.Take your time and audition the BA A25 - you have to see ( hear ) it to believe it.Marantz PM6004 is a joke, I compared it with a second-hand HK6550, that was much cheaper, and the difference is night and day, even the shop sellers were shocked.Try to find this amp, it easily outclasses even the Roksan Kandy K2 in terms of sound.You do not need to spend much money in your case.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
And here I thought CDs were digital ;)

I think I will now insist that the proper term is dematerialization :read:

:twisted:

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Fixt00l said:
Hello! I can share my deep, personal experience with you, sir.I went to audition some bookshelf speakers in a small shop, that is very close to what a small room is, nothing was isolated.I have auditioned Mordaunt Short Aviano 2, KEF Q100, some expensive Quadral Argentum 330, JBL ES 30, Tannoy Revolution DC6.Compared to Boston Acoustics A26, all mentioned speakers were nothing short of a joke.When I have read this forum, somebody suggested that the smaller model, A25, is even better in detail and midrange.Boy, was he right...Connected both and compared both models...The A25 has much tighter bass that did not veil or smidge the other part of the sound, and even when playing a bloody 128kbps mp3, it retrieved amazing detail - I finally know that this unknown instrument in the song is actually a harmonica!I have never heard such neutral, open, alive and musical speakers in my life.The B & W are not musical at all.Boomy, bassy, hard to drive...I`d avoid them like the plague.The rDac has a hefty, heavy sound, it is far from neutrla.I connected Arcam rPac to the A25, and I was more than overwhelmed.Take your time and audition the BA A25 - you have to see ( hear ) it to believe it.Marantz PM6004 is a joke, I compared it with a second-hand HK6550, that was much cheaper, and the difference is night and day, even the shop sellers were shocked.Try to find this amp, it easily outclasses even the Roksan Kandy K2 in terms of sound.You do not need to spend much money in your case.

Finally. A well balanced, subtle and non-exaggerated view ...

regards

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I have just heard the B&W CM1s which I believe to be uprated 685s, they look good but for me not that engaging or musical although better than the Rega RS1s and were boomy with anything like double bass and probably too bass heavy. You really must demo speakers before buying. As for amp MArantz 6004 I hear is a bit ligtweight for its rating. If I were I you I would probably keep your amp. or look around for an Arcam 9 or 10, I really don't think the amp will make that much difference. I would also consider some active speakers, that have amps and dacs inside them, the AVIs are about £1,250 which seems to be less than you currently plan to spend.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
What's with the AVI recommendation? He wants an amp at £500 or less!

NAD is a good option - fine sound, good price, complete with remote. The 326BEE would be my pick.

Baldrick1

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
bluesurf9 said:
The amp must have a remote which rules out the Rotel, I have seen low price Arcam a18 amp in richer sounds but not read good reviews, Im not sure the Marantz PM6004 will be up to the job....advice please! :?

At the risk of being labeled a 'Rotel Fan Boy' why not look at the RA-11; can be got for just under £500 or perhaps less, has a good onboard DAC...AND a remote? And I think that it sounds sweet at the price (but then again I would...wouldn't I ;) )

Though if tempted then do audition...of course, to make sure that it will 'do the job', etc.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bluesurf9 said:
I am finally saying goodbye to my CD collection and am going digital (I know it cant compete sonically

Do you know that? I don't see why not.

BTW you do know if you get rid of your CD collection you can't keep any rips you've made of the CDs, right?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
What's with the AVI recommendation? He wants an amp at £500 or less!

NAD is a good option - fine sound, good price, complete with remote. The 326BEE would be my pick.

He is: " I am looking at getting a Sonos Connect & Bridge, B&W 685 speakers, a DAC (either dac magic or rDac), but am struggling on an amplifier to go with them."

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
This is what he actually said, mate:

" I am looking at getting a Sonos Connect & Bridge, B&W 685 speakers, a DAC (either dac magic or rDac), but am struggling on an amplifier to go with them. Budget is around £500 but ideally less. The amp must have a remote which rules out the Rotel, I have seen low price Arcam a18 amp in richer sounds but not read good reviews, Im not sure the Marantz PM6004 will be up to the job....advice please!"

I took that to mean he wants help choosing an amp. Anyway, NAD would be my pick. You could also try the Pioneer A series which aren't half bad, or the Rega Brio which is a bit over the budget but a fine amp worthy of a lot better speakers.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
This is what he actually said, mate:

" I am looking at getting a Sonos Connect & Bridge, B&W 685 speakers, a DAC (either dac magic or rDac), but am struggling on an amplifier to go with them. Budget is around £500 but ideally less. The amp must have a remote which rules out the Rotel, I have seen low price Arcam a18 amp in richer sounds but not read good reviews, Im not sure the Marantz PM6004 will be up to the job....advice please!"

I took that to mean he wants help choosing an amp. Anyway, NAD would be my pick. You could also try the Pioneer A series which aren't half bad, or the Rega Brio which is a bit over the budget but a fine amp worthy of a lot better speakers.

Well I would not buy the B&W 685 for a start. He has to demo lots of different gear and best to try at home as well. Why does he want the 685s, has he heard them and if so with what? DEMO and as I suggest try the ADMs as well if possible.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
The Arcam is a fine choice - don't always rely purley on the reviews - have a listen to it, especially if it is on offer, I'm sure you will enjoy it. I'd agree with you about the Marantz - to my ears, it didn't sound particularly special. In fact, my old NAD 302 sounded more punchy and detailed!

Happy listening!

bluesurf9

Oct 7, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the advice and some quality rows and arguments!!! Some interesting points, i have not demoed any gear yet other than using a friends Sonos system and was very impressed with the usuabilty & sound quality through a budget system. The 685 choice was based on being really pleased with my old B&Ws, all my kit has been sold so keeping any of it is not an option. rPac looks cheaper than rDac and if it sounds better... The NAD and Rotel RA11 I havent considered, but looks like I was right about the Marantz based on the comments so far. Will look up the details of suggestions so far, anyone have any other advice? looking to purchase in next few weeks, only downside is demoing is near impossible due to lack of quality retailers within a reasonable distance so may have to go based on opinion/reviews (not my ideal choice, may make a long trip if possible before buying if I can wait that long!)

T

the record spot

Onkyo TX8050. Great sound, great functionality, heaps of inputs. Probably available for around £350 or so.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
You really must demo, you can't go on reviews/opinions. If I did that I would have bought the Reag RRS1s, heard them the other day, did not like them at all. As for brands, each speaker will be different. Think B&Ws need some driving, certainly the CM1s needed some power and the Rega amp was struggling.

Whereabouts are you located?

bluesurf9

Oct 7, 2007
Visit site
I have know found a Cyrus 6xpd amp to fit within my budget as a used item, have demoed a few speakers but the local richer sounds store (my only option) had limited choices, I tried the tannoy dc6 but was underwhelmed. He had some open box mordaunt short 908i floorstanders for a cheap price but not sure if going for a more up to date good quality bookshelf speaker would be better, or go for the older speaker, they had side blowing subs built in which I have not seen before!

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
See my sig. I have Sonos - AVI ADM (x2) and could not be happier.

If you prefer separates, I'd be looking at amp with a DAC, the Rotal RA-11 is interesting, has the Bluetooth option as well (think the dongle comes with it), but if going separates you really must hear it working together. Not just best speakers here, and best amp there.

bluesurf9

Oct 7, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for suggestions but amp is now sorted, its the speakers are the next challenge, have heard the ampo with a few options and know it sounds good, just looking for suggestions to shortlist, still liking 685s altho not heard them with the amp. def going down sonos route too!

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Temple Audio dual Monoblock amps would be well worth considering, £329 for a pair

Also check out the reviews for the Metrum Acoustics Octave DAC, it will cost a little more than the rDac but may well be worth the extra cash.

An upgrade to the Sonos Connect maybe a better option than buying an external DAC. 'Wyred For Sound' do an upgrade that I have read is very good.

SpursGator

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
12Designs said:
An upgrade to the Sonos Connect maybe a better option than buying an external DAC. 'Wyred For Sound' do an upgrade that I have read is very good.

Yes - Sonos Connect is great VFM and leaves open a future upgrade to a high-end DAC, if needed. With the system he's putting together, the DAC is the Sonos is perfectly adequete.

The guy who suggested Boston Acoustics, last month then this thread started, does have a point. It would be an interesting match and warm up the Cyrus a bit. As the owner of a pair of A25s, I can say that I like them a lot, but he got a little carried away - they were a great match for his system, and some people absolutely love polypropylene speakers due to their vivid, detailed personality. I do think the KEF Q300s (and surely other KEFs with the Uni-Q setup) are a massive upgrade (but they cost more).

I would stay away from the B&W 6xx range - you can have a listen and verify this but I would predict a dark and bassy presentation with the amp. B&W shines with the 8xx range and many watts.

Good luck with your speaker search. Don't forget about used gear! This doesn't have to mean trolling through eBay - good dealers sell used kit and it's a way to go a bit - or a lot - higher-end but with some of the security you get with a reputable shop. Be patient - speakers are where you can really elevate a modest system, but the key is system matching.

bluesurf9

Oct 7, 2007
Visit site
Thanks a couple of solutions I would not have considered as know little about Boston Acoustics and have never looked a KEF either. The 6xpd has arrived and sonos connect and bridge will be next. Have tested amp with a friends spare wharfdale 9.1s (yes I know they are not appropriate speakers!) just to check if it works ok, cant wait to get some decent speakers to go with it!! The sound I aiming for is good detail and separation with a warmish bass without taking away from the natural recording.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts