Valve vs solid state amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
This'll start an argument :cool: I'm about to rebuild my hi-fi after many years without one. I have a small room (about 10' x 7') I can use as a listening room so don't need huge power. However, I so want something I can connect a CD player to and my Townsend Avalon (currently with Ortofon MC10 cartridge).

I've always wanted a valve amp but frankly never got to hear one. Budget isn't an issue so my question is should I go valve or ss and why ? Also, it seems moving coil cartridges are out of fashion (most amps don't seem to have MC input), should I stick with my MC10 and get a pre-amp or switch to a modern MM cartridge ?

All suggestions greatly recieved.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
once you hear what a good valve amp can do you may wonder why so many people still use ss amps.i know its a different sound but to my ears it's a nicer sound.valve amps went out of fashion in the eighties and nineties but have made a massive comeback of late,is this coincidence or are people hearing things in a different way.i am not saying ss amps are bad as you know some makes get the usual thumbs up here on this forum and as for a valve phono stage well now where talking.as you say money is not an issue you have a wealth of makes out there to satisfy your needs ss and valve.its better to use a good mm as opposed to a half decent mc but given your budget and your excellent turntable an mc would be the way to go.as you use an ortofon their bronze mc has had very good reviews.i don't think suggesting a paticular make would help but a quick search on the net will give you dealers in your area.one area where valve amps were considered inferior was their low output,this is not the case any more so sensitive speakers are not so important,though saying that the higher the sensitivity the easier they are to drive.i would go intergrated valve amp and seperate valve phono stage.i hope this helps and would be interested on your outcome.good luck,grgeory.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
The very best valve amp I have heard (under a grand) certainly is Puresound A30. I expected a smooth creamy sound but was shock with the timing, slam and insight as Puresound give you the best of both world. You will need an easy going pair of speakers (like living voice which made with tubes amps in mind) but don't buy Valve amp until you demo a Puresound.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
I had a pair of VTL 30/30 amp used in a bi amp set up with some bi wired celestion SL600's- nice warm sound. After that I had a Copland 401 which had a "creamy" laid back sound, much larger then the VTL's. My Current amp is a valve/mosfet hybrid
Unison Research SR1 which marrys up the smoothness of valves and the attack and power of transistors (mosfets). One of my friends has 2 monblock 300B single ended amplifiers. He uses them with a large pair of Lowthers. Smooth but exceptionally detailed. Even though I use a hybrid, Valves rule for me.

A

Anonymous

The other pertinent bit of info I missed out is that I listen to a broad range of music, everything from classical through to modern dance/trance. I guess most of my music falls into the rock/electronic category e.g. AC/DC, Deep Purple, OMD but also the likes of Kate Bush, Marillion etc.

A

Anonymous

One last question - what is meant when they talk about switching into triode mode (I assume this improves audio quality at the expense of output) ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts